Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U won't have a universal achievements system

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 9:29:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:29:36 PM PST
http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/11/wii-u-wont-have-a-univeral-achievements-system-report/

The Wii U won't have an accomplishment system analogous to the PlayStation Network's trophies or Xbox Live's Achievements, according to one developer.

The news comes via Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell's creative director and co-founder Jeremiah Slaczka.

"There are no Wii U accomplishments that are system-wide," he wrote on NeoGAF.

Instead, it seems developers will be able to implement their own individual accomplishment systems should they choose.

"Scribblenauts Unlimited loosely has them in the form of `Global Starite Shards' which is like a giant checklist of global things to spawn and do in the game that aren't area specific," Slaczka said, for example.

Although the Wii U's launch is nearly upon us - November 18 in the US, and November 30 in Europe - Nintendo has been slow to detail its online connectivity, leaving many in hopes of an as-yet-unannounced accomplishments system. That hope appears to be fruitless.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:32:52 PM PST
I'm all for that if it means we won't be seeing trophy/cheevo whores dropping in and out of MP games because they are trying to complete "that one task"....

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:34:40 PM PST
I don't know if a lot of people care that much about achievements. The achievements are a nice add-on, but for me they don't make or break a game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:36:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 9:43:00 PM PST
Sure there are many Xbox owners and now PS3 that play just to get achievements/trophies.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:41:12 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
I don't care about achievements myself. I have yet to get 100% on any game on my PS3. I play for fun not for chasing achievements.

If I get them I get them, I don't go chasing after them.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:44:43 PM PST
DVvM says:
I mostly use achievements as a sort of rough guide to "these are some things you should be looking to accomplish in this particular game" on a game by game basis than anything else.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:02:39 PM PST
I'm okay with it. Some 3DS games already have individual achievement systems like medals in Re:Mercs and Revelations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:14:01 PM PST
Thank God at least one of the console manufacturers has some sense left.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:15:25 PM PST
Kid Icarus: Uprising is an example of a game where achievements are actually useful. They unlock hearts, new weapons, etc.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 10:23:15 PM PST
Well I find this to be mildly disappointing since I rather enjoy earning achievements and trophies as a nice little bonus to doing that extra something. While this isn't a deal breaker I would have preferred to have seen a universal system like on the 360/PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:38:23 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
I'm not really into achievements and trophies but I do think that they are the norm on any console that comes out and I wonder why Nintendo didn't implement them into the Wii U. Although I don't think this is deal breaker for many, I do think it could be for some.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:15:50 AM PST
Thank God.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 4:16:29 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
My epeen, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:17:48 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Maybe they'll add it later like PS3 did with trophies :D

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 4:24:01 AM PST
I like Trophies only on the grounds they I look at them as Additional Stuff to do, or side quests for games that don't have them. Or Extra Challenges.

I admit I get a sense of pride when I get a really hard trophy, and/or a Platinum. To me it just extends a games life span :3. The only thing I don't like are Online required ones, for the same reason that a few have mentioned, mainly random people joining then leaving for one, or in the xbox's case you have to pay to be able to get them.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:59:13 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
If you're going to do any trophy/achievement system at all it might as well be a universal one.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:02:01 AM PST
Ice King says:
So, is it safe to say "dooooooomed" already?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:02:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:08:31 AM PST
Benpachi says:
But how will I prove that I have 100% in these crazy Nintendo platformers? What about my e-peen, Iwata? Huh???

Kinda glad there won't be achievements, really. All I ask is the ability to track my completion percentage in a game I am playing, which is something games did long before achievements and trophies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:03:01 AM PST
Haven't you learned anything from the VGF? :)

It's never too early to say "doooooooooomed".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:08:53 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
They don't make or break, but it is kind of disappointing to me that it won't have 'em.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:16:11 AM PST
FOGE says:
I like cheevos. Sometimes they get you to do extra things that you'd ignore/ or wouldnt think to do. Some are really clever like RDRs "Dasterdly." Id never thought to do that but the trophy gave me the idea and it made me laugh.

But then you have crap like ODSTs "Dont be Like Marty" which has you go online and finish a round of Firefight without killing an enemy. Thats so frustrating to play with people who do that. As long as they dont make players do dumb things that go against what the game is about, I enjoy cheevos and like to show off my score. Hope Wii U gets em soon.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:16:54 AM PST
Though, Nintendo has always been more fo the family game system than the Hardcore gamer system, so I suppose This isn't a big surprise.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:41:44 AM PST
This to me is a pretty big miss for Nintendo, and I suspect they may end up patching them in later a la Trophies. People do want these things, and expect them these days, and I think Nintendo isn't understanding that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:47:46 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I don't know... Nintendo's history with online shows they don't really "get it," and they tend to stick by their guns. I suspect we won't see cheevos on their system this generation.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:50:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:53:42 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Trophies and Achievements are not an innovation. They are a subtle ploy by developers/publishers to get more life out of games that would be otherwise shelved after completion (if the gamer ever got that far) and of course the more time you spend with a game the more likely you are to purchase DLC for that game. Nintendo not adopting this doesn't really effect me one way or the other. A system not being in place wouldn't make me stop and say "hey, where are my Nintenpoints?." If there was a system in place, then I would largely ignore it like I do now. I don't play games just for achievements/trophies now. The 3DS doesn't have them, and that system isn't doomed. There are some games that do have them, and they reward the player with in game items, not with some arbitrary score that can only be measured against other gamers and has no real value.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions