Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

GW2 sells over 3M copies - Big plans for 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 6:09:05 AM PST
http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/15/arenanet-sells-three-million-copies-of-guild-wars-2-looks-to-th/

ArenaNet sells three million copies of Guild Wars 2, looks to the future

by Elisabeth Cardy on Jan 15th 2013 9:00AM
Fantasy, Events, in-game, Game mechanics, News items, Guild Wars 2, Dev Diaries

We've got a whole passel of Guild Wars 2 news for you today, courtesy of ArenaNet Game Director Colin Johanson, who took to the company's blog to talk about some of the game plan for 2013. Johanson kicked things off by nonchalantly dropping the fact that Guild Wars 2 has now surpassed three million copies sold. (The last million milestone was hit in early September.) He then started to talk about goals for 2013 -- specifically, to "build on areas of the game that were successful in 2012" and to "learn and apply lessons from things that didn't work as well."

ArenaNet has plans to add more events (since more events means fewer repeats all around), build new storylines, and give players of all levels a good reason to go back and re-examine content. Some of those good reasons to go back for content will come in the form of tokens for achievements (which can be traded in for stuff like ascended gear and infusions), re-imagined daily achievements (and eventually, the option to complete only a certain subset of dailies to get the reward), and more vanity items.

Guilds will be getting more love with some new types of content, due "in early 2013," which will allow them to go on missions together. Over time, that system will be expanded with new rewards, missions, and tools to strengthen the importance of guilds within the Guild Wars 2 community. World vs. World will be seeing a lot of the same tweaks as the rest of the game, with the addition of improvements to culling and the introduction of paid server transfers.

PvP will also be getting some polish. Revamped reward systems, matchmaking based on skill, the ability to observe other matches, custom arenas, and leaderboards have all been listed as part of the plan. In case that's not enough for the first half of the year, there are also plans to improve the looking for group tool, fix up the Fractals dungeon, set up leaderboards on the website, redesign world and dungeon boss encounters, continue the war on bots, and otherwise tighten up the game as we know it.

Skip below the cut to let Johanson speak for himself.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:11:39 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
hopefully the events will be better than wintersday... that was a big disappointment

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:14:26 AM PST
I agree. That's about when I stopped playing. Just kind of lost the itch.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:15:19 AM PST
Impressive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:18:00 AM PST
I think I'll hop back in to level... well.. something... when I'm done clearing a few games out of my backlog.

I can't decide if I should stick with the mesmer or go with the guardian, but if I go with Mesmer I'm tempted to start it over and join the Priory.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Swapping PS4 Hard Drives - A warning for Plus users transferring cloud save data 2 1 minute ago
OT: Hospital bed shortage in Canada leads to passing of young woman 6 1 minute ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan v4.0 8443 1 minute ago
Amazon VGF Street Fighter 5 league 37 1 minute ago
Badger's Impressions/Review: Digimon Story Cyber Slueth 64 1 minute ago
Weekend recap and weekly gaming 2/8 - 2/11 61 1 minute ago
Firewatch Review Thread 27 2 minutes ago
ot: Don't be fooled by Bernie Sanders - he's a diehard communist 20 2 minutes ago
The Division's launch file size is only 5 GB bigger than the beta 20 3 minutes ago
Wow, Witcher 3 Hearts of Stone! What great DLC! 15 4 minutes ago
2016 VGF Vote to the death...you monsters 2502 6 minutes ago
Dying Light: Enhanced Edition Update 1.09 Is Live, 17 GB On Xbox One And 8 GB On PS4 4 6 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions