Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Report: Star Wars Episode VII will be an original story.... (Now is the time to panic)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 156 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2012 1:29:59 PM PDT
Yesterday, Star Wars fans were abuzz with excitement when Disney announced that they had acquired Lucasfilm in a $4.05 billion deal and were prepping a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Now, according to E! Online, a Lucasfilm source said that the plot of the film will be "an original story." This means that Episode VII will not be an adaptation of any existing licensed Star Wars material. So, for those of you with your hearts set on that Thrawn Trilogy, I'm afraid your dreams reside in the Netherworld of the Force.

This news only adds to the mystery and intrigue surrounding the third Star Wars trilogy, because, well... now we have no earthly idea what it's about.

One person who might have a clue is Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized biography Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas. In a chat with TheWrap, Pollock revealed that he was able to read the outlines to Episodes VII, VIII and IX, but had to sign a confidentiality agreement preventing him from revealing the specifics of their contents.

"It was originally a 12-part saga," recalled Pollock. "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, `I want to see these 3 movies.'" He added that an older version of Luke Skywalker appears in the final trilogy. We'll see if any of these elements remain in the final version of the third trilogy.

Finally, click here if you're curious what filmmakers such as J.J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Damon Lindelof, and Robert Rodriguez think about the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

Stay tuned for further Episode VII updates as they become available.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-vii-will-be-an-original-story?abthid=509188a7762c0bdc150000c0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My faith in this project is going down the toilet faster than an unwanted pregnancy on prom night...

So we're avoiding the expanded universe and accepted lore for Star Wars in favor of something new and original? So I'm guessing this means the original cast is out and we're probably going the route I was suspecting in the beginning. Get ready for a movie starring Ben Skywalker, Jacen Solo, and the rest of the kids from Star Wars without any of the actual main characters there like Luke, Leia, Han, and such.

Also hearing that Lucas had other scripts in the works doesn't spark confidence considering nothing ever came of them. If he didn't feel they were strong enough to move forward then I can't imagine the kind of shape they were in.

Thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:31:45 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
I'm drooling at the tought of a SW animated film made by Pixar.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:32:42 PM PDT
Soulshine says:
I'm looking forward to the new Star Trek movie. I thought the reboot was great.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:35:23 PM PDT
I really doubt they'd put Pixar on this considering they are no doubt balls deep in their next project.

@ Soulshine

At this point a reboot is what I'm truly hoping for because I really don't see how they can build upon this.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:37:04 PM PDT
Okay... Now I am afraid...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:37:53 PM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
People were super excited for Episode 1 and we all know how that turned out.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:39:02 PM PDT
1#Pen Name says:
Star wars hasn't been good in almost a decade anyway, it's been a cash cow for a decade now, getting milked off of by mediocre movies and games.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:39:26 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
E1 gets way more hate than the one it really deserves.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:40:40 PM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
I don't care for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:41:51 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
Cool beans

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:42:25 PM PDT
ahhhh ............ well can we at least get the games?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:43:07 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Well, Lucas is no longer writing it and Hammil's not too old to do an "Older" Luke Skywalker.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:44:03 PM PDT
From what an article in another post on here said, it looks like they want to focus on the mobile and social gaming aspect... Though it does mention they are willing to license it out to others... So maybe there is still hope for new games...

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:44:50 PM PDT
I'm fine with this, I've liked just about everything Disney has put out of late.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:44:58 PM PDT
so nothing is really going to change then... bsa

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:45:06 PM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
Not really. I wish it was a better movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:47:43 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
This doesn't make me panic. It sounds about like what I expected - ignore EU, possibly set it pretty far after ROTJ so you don't have to worry about aging actors or recasting (How about 30 or do years, which isn't that big a jump from PT to OT span).

I'm fine with them ignoring the EU and making all new characters (though I almost wish they'd go with a subtitle if it's too far removed from the OT, like Star Wars Legacy or Chronicles or Whatever). Ditch the EU stuff, keep it, whichever. I just want them to be, you know, good and still feel like Star Wars. I think they can handle that. I hope...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:49:24 PM PDT
Yeah, pretty much...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:50:05 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Yeah, Disney under it's current CEO has been actually pretty awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:50:38 PM PDT
I can't effing wait for Wreck It Ralph!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:51:25 PM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
And I don't think Lucas didn't go forward with the movies because he thought they were bad ideas, he just became bitter about Star Wars and the fans, and was probably just ready to move onto anything else at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:52:44 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Considering that even when he was working on them, he wasn't "Going Forward." he was kind of stuck in an endless loop of reworking the same things over and over again. I know, when I'm drawing a picture that if I continue to tweak the picture even after it's complete, I'm gonna flub the dang thing up. When a project is done, it's time to move on to the next project.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 1:52:54 PM PDT
SuperHiro says:
Good! Again, I think all the EU stuff that takes place after episode 6 sucked anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:52:58 PM PDT
Soulshine says:
I'm takng my nephew to see that on Sunday and we're both pretty pumped.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:54:14 PM PDT
"we're both pretty pumped."

THIS is why Disney is actually pretty cool right now. I think Pixar actually fixed Disney instead of the opposite happening.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  156
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions