Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Medal of Honor Headquarters (MOHHQ) shutting down

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 6:32:07 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Today the directors of the Medal of Honor Headquarters (MOHHQ), the official community site for EA Medal of Honor series, released the news that they will be shutting the doors...

The team reached out to fans of the series with a formal apology in regards to closing down because MOHHQ felt that the medal of honor Warfighter title was "rushed in a terrible manner." The notes takes the time to humbly lay out the mistakes to fans by saying that the developement team Danger Close couldn't match the development turnout that the Call of Duty franchise can. EA appears to have sought that same production performance, but the results were far below expectations...

http://www.psu.com/a017701/Largest-Medal-of-Honor-community-site-shuts-down-after-rushed-Warfighter-release

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:32:58 AM PST
FOGE says:
Ah, its good they admit the game was bad. So when are they refunding the customers?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:34:44 AM PST
Beau H. says:
I'm a fan of the MOH series and I played Warfighter...it wasn't a good game (see my review in my profile). The story made no sense, the character models were creepy, and the game wasn't anything you haven't done a thousand times before.

That said, as an MOH fan I think it warranted a play through just to be able to say: "Ya, I played it." It's not long, and it's not hard. I played on "hard" difficulty and beat the game in about 5 hours.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:36:59 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
This may be just me but it was like a step child to BF3. The only real selling point for some was probably the BF4 beta. Then when you have BF3 still being heavily supported with DLC and patches and then COD black ops II it really had no chance

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:37:26 AM PST
Marvelous says:
I was close to putting this on my Christmas list, but I was told it's not even good for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:38:52 AM PST
FOGE says:
I was thinking $10 cus I enjoyed the last one, but apparently its like you said. Ive got too much to play right now to waste time on bad games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:41:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:57:14 AM PST
Beau H. says:
I think at this point, MoH is a nostalgic series for many...it certainly is for me. However, today's average video game player probably was a toddler when the original MoH came out on the PS1 so they really have no knowledge of the franchise; for them, MoH "began" with the 2010 reboot or possibly the 2007 title: Airborne (which was a good game btw). Many people wrongly dismissed it as a "COD rip-off" when in reality it's a longer running franchise than COD and COD was initially created as an answer to MoH.

For those of us who have played MoH since the beginning it's sad to see where the series has gone. They're far, far away from their heyday when games like "Frontline" came out. Still, the 2010 reboot wasn't bad, but the 2012 follow up "Warfighter" was pretty awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:52:57 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
I remember when MOH was a great franchise too and its a shame to see it go down like this. I dont think it was ever as popular as Socom MP wise however its having a similiar fate by trying to stray away from what it really was at its core. Socom did that and look where it is now!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:55:11 AM PST
FOGE says:
"Many people wrongly dismissed it as a "COD rip-off" when in reality it's a longer running franchise than COD and COD was initially created as answer to MoH."

True, however... the developers of Medal of Honor left EA to make Call of Duty 1, so technically Call of Duty is the longest running franchise since its the original Medal of Honor team.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:57:22 AM PST
Anthony says:
EA: what is this..."refund" you speak of?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:58:38 AM PST
FOGE says:
Obama has yours ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:59:10 AM PST
Beau H. says:
This I didn't know. Technically, that makes COD and MoH...cousins?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:00:42 AM PST
FOGE says:
Haha I dont know. Its pretty strange history. But the best games were made by the same dev team.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:01:26 AM PST
Warfighter really wasn't as bad as people said it was.i liked the single player and I thought some missions were unique(the missions you can drive) and the multiplayer wasn't terrible at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:04:31 AM PST
Marvelous says:
The reason I was remotely interested in this game was for the single player, I think I need to do my 7 day rental from gamestop.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:06:45 AM PST
Beau H. says:
Guy..take it from me, an MoH vet: it was pretty bad.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:14:39 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So, Gameloft can copy Call of Duty on the iOS and release it for $7 and have it be profitable and the best looking iOS games and have a full MP suite with map packs, but EA can't? For shame, EA, for shame.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:22:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 7:32:05 AM PST
The multiplayer has serious issues on all platforms, but most of all on the PS3 and PC. Standard features like VOIP work whenever they want. There's no option to change Fireteam (in order to play with friends). Matchmaking is haphazard and sticks people from New Zealand in with people from Chicago for often frustrating results in hit registration. Most weapons require multiple (4-5) headshots to kill, but one weapon kills in a single hit to the body at any range while getting instant accuracy during the scope animation (quickscoping).

For a game that was marketed as team-oriented and tactical, those issues hurt it a lot. It also released at a $60 price point, making it a direct competitor to games like Call of Duty and Battlefield 3.
Add in the fact that a patch MIGHT come in mid-DEC with the first DLC (2 months after release) and the game is dying quickly. They made a lot of the same mistakes with MoH 2010, so I don't see how they could be surprised at getting a similar result this time around.

EDIT: By "dying" I mean there are only a few thousand (~5000) people playing across all three platforms right now. Not good numbers for a "AAA" title that released a month ago.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:53:38 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
i remember when MoH was awesome and they should just do a HD remake of all the originals with trophies and achievemets.

Medal of Honor Frontline
Medal of Honor European Assault
Medal of Honor Rising Sun

am i missing any? I know PC got more games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:55:15 AM PST
FOGE says:
Those were ok. Not a huge fan of EA or RS. The best ones (IMHO) were Medal of Honor PS1, Underground and Allied Assault.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:57:08 AM PST
Beau H. says:
You are missing some:

Allied Assault
Pacific Assault
Underground

For the record, I think an HD remake of Frontline was included with the PS3 version of the 2010 reboot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:57:21 AM PST
Finger says:
Allied Assault was easily my favorite. I think there were two expansions for it as well, Spearhead and Breakthrough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:59:00 AM PST
FOGE says:
I dont know if it was HD. It was very "muddy." I think its been out dating a dinosaur.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:59:42 AM PST
FOGE says:
Mine too. After Counter Strike, I believe it was my first online game. So... second online game.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions