Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The 7th Generation: Likes and Dislikes for the Big 3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 8:53:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 8:58:41 AM PDT
Given the 7th generation is pretty much over, what are people's thoughts on the big three?

ps3:

Likes-very strong first and second party support. Sony did a great job of supporting the ps3 till the very end. PSN+ is a great service and offers top notch value.

Dislikes-I just don't like the DS controller. The advantage of having a bluray player built in was great for the first 2 years, but quickly diminished. Key third party games suck as Skyrim run very poorly. The Move software support was joke at best.

360:

Likes-I love the controller, still the best controller ever made. The 360 clearly was easy to develop for, just look at how easy third party games were ported from the PC. It was my go to for Elder Scrolls.

Dislikes-The dashboard is horrible and is adverstisement central. I also had RRoD issues, much like everybody else. Lack of exclusive content was disappointing. The Kinect software is a joke at best.

Wii:

Likes-I like that it is different and offered up a change of pace from traditional gaming. Easily my favorite games of the generation where on the Wii.

Disklikes-Nintendo pretty much dropping support 2 years before the U launched. Third party was a joke, more so than usual. Graphically 720p support would have been nice.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:55:07 AM PDT
Games

Dislikes:

Not games

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 8:55:27 AM PDT
So you didn't like the 360 cause it had no gamez?

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:13:14 AM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
- Accessing power on/off options by controller was glorious
- Embedded speakers in Controllers is catching on
- Hard drive installations/ Downloaded titles are finally relieving horrendous loading times

Dislikes:
- Game pricing increase over last gen
- "HD" Hardware was absolutely horrendous in terms of reliability
- "HD" Hardware rarely achieved actual HD rendering resolutions
- Generation lasted 2/3 years past my maximum interest threshold

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:14:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 9:15:53 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Likes: Options, Online & community extending shelflife, rebirth of Indie and arcade games on consoles

Dislikes: Online passes, microtransactions, long DL/installation/update processes

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:18:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 9:28:14 AM PDT
PS3
Likes- It was perfect. The best console ever made besides the PS2. All the games on it were amazing. Uncharted to inFAMOUS to LittleBigPlanet, Sony easily won this generation.

Dislikes- Non. The only wrong thing about it was that it only did everything.

Xbox
Likes- Not much to like.

Dislikes- It had no games. Kinect was a comeplete copy of the eye toy, and RRoD and Ads plagued the system. How many times will you buy the same game? Gears, Halo. Company Milking a franchise at its finest.

Wii
Likes- It had Mario and Zelda, but not much else.

Dislikes- It wasn't made by Sony. The only company that milks it franchises more than microsoft is The Big N. How many mario and zelda games are you willing to pay for over and over again? Also, nintendo copied the PS Move with their wiimote. They rushed it out quickly so that they could say they were first.

(P.S. Sales don't mean anything)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:23:08 AM PDT
PS3

No extra cost multiplayer.
Trophy System
Uncharted games

Dislikes:
Tiny controller cramps my man hands.
Horribly buggy game releases on some titles.
Downloading, updating, installing take forever sometimes.

Xbox 360

Larger controller with better device placement.
Ability to use controller on PC
Less troublesome game releases for titles I purchased.

Dislikes:
RROD
Pay for multiplayer

Wii
LOL
Ummm...Mario?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 9:35:21 AM PDT
Nice post. Thanks for the clarity into your persona. :)

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:36:00 AM PDT
jtshiel says:
I like turtles.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 9:38:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 9:39:34 AM PDT
Yeah I have to agree about wireless controllers, not having wires is fantastic. Reliability moving forward will be interesting. This generation it was pretty terrible. The ps3 wasn't a saint at 10% failure rate, though much better than the 360 at 35%.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:53:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 5:42:35 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
PS3:

Likes: Bloo-ray, JRPGs, streaming services, chargeable controllers, simple and clean interface.

Dislikes: Inability to fully install games, syncing trophies, download and install times.

360:

Likes: Shmups, 1080p upscaling, amazing downloadable game library, grass, controller.

Dislikes: How loud and irritating it is unless you install your games, XBLA Gold (especially having to pay for it to use things like Netflix), and that horrible dashboard interface...every time I'd get used to it they would change to a new one.

Wii:

Likes: 1st party titles, Virtual Console, obscure 3rd party exclusives like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Muramasa.

Dislikes: Friend codes, and pretty much every online aspect of the Wii except for playing Mario Kart. Forced motion control when a classic controller or gamecube controller would have worked just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 9:54:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 9:54:50 AM PDT
JJ4prez says:
Ugh.

My response to your 'third part support sucks'. Just because 1 game didn't get the DLC until later doesn't mean the entire PS3 has crappy 3rd party support. Remember, Skyrim ran like bawls on all systems for the first month or so. I played it on launch with the 360 - put 80 hours in the first month. I had to restart my 360 numerous times, and witness many glitches, some consuming quest lines. I got it on PS3 maybe 3 months after release and it ran great, after man patches of course.

So, for your OP...

360 - No blu-ray, RRoD, strong XBL support, hardly any sales, 30-60 dollars a year for online play, great controller, crappy 1st party support.

PS3 - horrible chat options for online play, free online play, blu-ray, amazing deals ever since PS+, I personally love the DS3. However, it needed better triggers and inverted sticks (thanks to the PS4!), amazing 1st party support, RECHARGEABLE controller.

Wii - a comical joke really. motion controls was fun for maybe 30 minutes. crappy filler games. awesome mario, zelda titles, etc etc.

Don't mind all the spelling, grammatical, and punctuation errors; typing fast because I am busy.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 9:54:57 AM PDT
jtshiel says:
" after man patches of course."
What is this man patch you speak of?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 9:57:28 AM PDT
JJ4prez says:
LOL,

Sappy, the ol' man patch from the docks.

Meant to say many, going to leave for comical relief.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:23:13 AM PDT
JWK says:
PS3:
LIKES - 1st party titles were easily the best of the big three. And there were tons of them, support for exclusives all the way until the end of 2013. Plus is the only thing any of the big 3 have thought of to make consoles competitive with Steam. DS3 is familiar with good D-pad. Around 2008/9, third party developers learned how to make games look the same as the 360... for the most part. Move > Kinect, since they're mostly established Wii games in HD.
DISLIKES - the DS3 is cheaply made with bad triggers. Skyrim, Bayonetta, Orange Box were the worst offenders of less than optimal PS3 versions of third party games, but even those weren't THAT bad. Online less reliable than XBox. Slow loading and game/patch installation was the PS3's worst offense.

360:
LIKES - Solid controller; heavy with great triggers. Most like a PC, easy to port games and develop for. XBLA was the best platform for new downloadable games and great resource for porting mid-90's PC games like Doom and Duke Nukem. Best console for shmups ever; Cave = 'nuff said. Halo's still fun after all these years. 360 S model and beyond are incredibly reliable after the OG model's rocky launch.
DISLIKES - MS wanted the 360 to be an entertainment hub and it's shown since around 2010 with third party exclusives slowing to an almost non-existent state. Even 1st party games slowed. Too heavy reliance on the Halo/Gears/Forza formula. Kinect is awful. Gold is a value for Microsoft, not for consumers.

Wii:
LIKES - Focused software on making gaming fun for everyone. Motion control integral part of most games. Nintendo brought the most innovation and took the most risks. Mario, Zelda, Metroid.
DISLIKES - Focused software on making gaming fun for everyone. Motion control integral part of most games. Nintendo brought the most innovation and took the most risks. Mario, Zelda, Metroid.
EXTRA POINTS - Virtual Console and a few WiiWare titles (like Konami's ReBirth series) are a haven of old-school gaming greatness.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:25:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 10:25:52 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
PS3:

Dislikes: Trophies

Xbox:

Dislikes: Dashboard, XBL

Wii:

Dislikes: Everything else

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:26:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 10:26:56 AM PDT
PC:
LIKES - Better than any of the 3 major consoles in every way.

DISLIKES - Not being able to enjoy the bliss courtesy of ignorance.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:34:22 AM PDT
The Drizzle says:
PS3: exclusives, plenty to choose from, one for everybody's taste. im not a fan of all of them, but there are a good amount that i enjoy.
dislikes: controller, more specifically, L2/R2. they are horrible. no removeable battery. mandatory installs. memory management, much easier on 360/wii.
360: controller is near perfect, dpad sucks, but i can live with that. ive enjoyed the majority of the limited exclusives they offer. party chat
dislikes: MS points. id prefer real money.
wii: first party games are all great. virtual console is everything ive ever dreamed it would be.
dislikes: motion controls feel a little forced in some games.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:38:56 AM PDT
With the exception of Yoshi's Island and Earthbound, Wii VC was pretty stout. I downloaded many classic games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:43:55 AM PDT
The Drizzle says:
i paid 90 bucks last year to get my console fixed just so i wouldnt lose my VC collection. i probably spent around 200 bucks on it, and didnt want to lose anything.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:53:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 11:03:45 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
PS3
Likes - interesting variety of exclusives, PSN has gotten better every year since its release, PS+, no proprietary HDD BS
Dislikes - mandatory installs, no party system

Likes - Great party system since day 1, good XBLA exclusives, attractive interface
Dislikes - Gold subscription fee, proprietary everything, Live has gotten more difficult to navitgate regularly since its release, double dipping with subscription fees and dashboard ads, disc-swapping

Wii
Likes - Um... Red Steel 2 was pretty swank, I guess.
Dislikes - Everything else

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:02:05 AM PDT
Brother?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:17:33 AM PDT
The Drizzle says:
(P.S. Sales don't mean anything)

because ps3 isnt first, correct?

and xbox isnt the only one milking franchise. see: everybody else.

and just for good measures: Lair. you are saying it is amazing. glad somebody thinks so.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:17:52 AM PDT
The Drizzle says:
this made my day

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 7:20:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 7:21:43 PM PDT
Brent says:
PS3:
Likes: Uncharted, InFamous, LBP, Ratchet & Clank, PS Plus, PS 1 & 2 Classics
Dislikes: PS Move

Xbox 360:
Dislikes: The Kinect, the lack of BC compatible, and the lack of good 1st party games

Wii:
Likes: Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, DKC Returns, Sin & Punishment, Xenoblade Chronicles, Virtual Console
Dislikes: The Wii Remote, not HD
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa9481fe4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions