Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What is the VGF reading?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 631 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:27:22 AM PDT
The Drizzle says:
How to Archer: The Ultimate Guide to Espionage and Style and Women and Also Cocktails Ever Written

and it is awesome

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:28:54 AM PDT
Anjel says:
I enjoyed the Fever series. You're definitely reading it at a good time, with all the books in the series already out. Moning was rough on the cliffhangers through this one.

I, too, have not read The Hunger Games. My daughter loved them, and I'll be taking her to see the movie this weekend. I think that will be enough for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:30:07 AM PDT
Anjel says:
The Count of Monte Cristo has to be one of my all-time favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:30:22 AM PDT
I think that critic was off the map, a little. I went to grad school in 19th c British and very little of Dickens is actually a "spoof." It's more "potboiler" type stuff. He threw in some drama just to keep the middle classes happy and coming back. Like Twilight (only Dickens could you know, actually write).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:32:00 AM PDT
I've heard that about the Fever series. I actually waited until they were all out for that very reason. My daughter went to the premiere of the movie last night with a group of friends. I'm sure she is still sleeping.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:32:07 AM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
I feel like I've betrayed the printed word. I'm reading free e-books on my phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:33:03 AM PDT
new Tron says:
So I've heard. I picked up Blood Meridian a few months ago. I'm going to start reading his earlier books before getting into that trilogy that All The Pretty Horses starts.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:33:39 AM PDT
Dickens is scathing social commentary wrapped in melodrama surrounded by verbosity. I love Bleak House. It nails everything that is wrong with the justice system in a really over the top and yet still incredibly relevant way.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:34:57 AM PDT
That's one of my favorites, too! Bleak House and Our Mutual Friend, I think, were his bests. It's a shame that high school kids always get stuck with Oliver Twist, Hard Times, or one of the lesser ones because they're short enough to teach.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:36:01 AM PDT
Anjel says:
I waited through the first 4, then read them and anxiously awaited the final book. She was great at world-building this series. Have you read Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series? (That's another good read. Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, Book 1))

I've heard great things so far about the movie. I'm looking forward to it as much as hoping my daughter will enjoy it. I'll bet your daughter had a lot of fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:36:38 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
It's also a fantastic Calexico song.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:37:45 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Blah. My taste for Dickens deflated a little.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:38:47 AM PDT
Awww, sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:39:16 AM PDT
Love them, but I must have missed that song. What album is it on?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:41:01 AM PDT
Anjel says:
Haha! I've seen the commercials for this when watching Archer and was wondering if it was well written...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:41:28 AM PDT
I just started the Kate Daniels series -- I've read book 1, and have book 2 waiting. I liked that one, too. Have you read Patricia Briggs Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)? That is my favorite Urban Fantasy series of all time, although I also like Dresden as a close second.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:43:02 AM PDT
I think trying to teach Bleak House to High School students would warrant combat pay for teachers. My daughter is a brilliant reader (she's 15) and would completely mutiny if she had to read 900 pages of Dickens for her AP Lang Arts class. And she's one of the reasonable ones. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:43:19 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Selections from Road Atlas.

Also, no worries on Dickens. I think most kids learn to hate him in Highschool anyway. Hah.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:45:14 AM PDT
Anjel says:
I've read book 1 of Mercy Thompson... and I can't quite put my finger on why I haven't gone back for book 2. Hmm, maybe backlog? I did enjoy it, so I'll need to revisit it.

Dresden, however, is near and dear to my heart... and I anxiously await the next installment. In between other reads, I am rereading the series and have gotten back up through Summer Knight.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:45:51 AM PDT
The Drizzle says:
yes, it is as if archer actually wrote it. really funny and is actually a good read

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:56:06 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
I actually finished that a few weeks ago, I tried reading it a year or so ago and couldn't get into it, but I decided to give it another go based on your recomendation, and loved it.

Actually meant to thank you for that, but it slipped my mind, so thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:58:45 AM PDT
Anjel says:
I'll have to give it a go...

Question then to you and Tron... Have you guys seen the movie? Does it stack up at all to the book?

I haven't read or seen it, so just curious. Now, I do believe that the book is always definitively better than the movie, but some, you know, at least do good books justice. What do you guys think?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 10:59:34 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Haven't seen the movie yet, though I want to.

I've been meaning to check Netflix for it, hopefully it's on streaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 11:02:07 AM PDT
new Tron says:
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it!

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 11:06:31 AM PDT
Just picked up Game of Thrones again.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  631
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions