Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Bad Port or Bad Hardware? We're Already Hearing Complaints About Wii U Visuals.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 82 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:06:03 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
I'll be sticking to 1st party Nintendo games on the Wii U for awhile because I know Nintendo won't slack on those.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:09:21 PM PST
IGN has reviews for Darksiders 2 and Arkham City up and they said that Arkham City looks great on the gamepad when played on it and this about Darksiders 2:

"The Wii U version is a fairly straightforward port, one that looks and runs the same as the original. It's essentially the exact same game experience, albeit with a few keys differences - differences that make this version a great value for anyone who missed the game the first time around."

That being said, sounds like bad ports to me.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:11:36 PM PST
I.Flores says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:13:27 PM PST
Fine. It's a terrible console and Flores wins the internet. Go screw your PS3 and leave the video game players alone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:14:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 9:14:30 PM PST
I.Flores says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:15:44 PM PST
I think other people have nailed it. The Wii U has just launched. We hardly ever see the potential of a system during the early years of its life cycle.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:16:50 PM PST
Give it time anyway. Most consoles release with a bunch of games that aren't all that great. I bought a PS2 on day one and the release titles for that weren't exactly awe inspiring. It takes time for developers to get used to coding for new consoles and really take advantage of it's abilities.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:20:07 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:25:18 PM PST
DVvM says:
I definitely wouldn't recommend buying ports of third party games that are already out on the PC, PS3, or 360.

But third party games developed specifically for the Wii-U (like Zombi-U or Rayman Legends) are probably fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:25:52 PM PST
DVvM says:
The best line from that review

"Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition fails to ruin what still is an admirable game"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 5:19:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 5:32:33 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I suppose i was hoping this console would hit the ground running, that is all. I don't buy based on 'potential', as platforms are often argued in respect if potential was ever met or wasted long after the fact. Where is the killer app? The gimmick?

Re: Arkham City:
EGM
Although the core of Batman: Arkham City remains intact, new glitches and tacked-on gimmicks take away from the overall experience enough to make this a clearly inferior version of one of the great games of this generation.

Destructoid
It took things that already worked perfectly and shook them until they cracked. Not shattered completely, but undoubtedly broken, just a little bit.
-----

I read that and i do indeed question: Do i really want that?

I would love a compelling reason to have one today other than the new wrapper smell. When you already have 3 consoles and 2 portables, including the recent Nintendo one with a full Ninty library, i was hoping something like Zombie U would be that system seller, yet it apparently is not. Mario U and Nintyland sound great, but hardly what i'd consider a reason to own one this early. Hopefully Rayman Legends and Wonderful 101 change how i feel when they arrive.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:57:04 AM PST
Aku says:
From what I can see, Mass Effect 3 on the Wii U was done by a company called Straight Right.

This company's only other game is Shift 2. For iOS. Not exactly people I'd want dealing with a next-gen system and a big-name franchise.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:27:55 AM PST
LOL, so the Wii U is nothing but games already available for PS3/Xbox 360 with poorly executed "new" features, terrible exclusives, oh and 2 good Nintendo games. SKIP IT.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:39:01 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
from what i've played at gamestop, i really didn't like the wiiu. the pad is not very sensitive, so you have to push harder than usual to get it to react. the pad was also not comfortable at all. i only tried a couple of game demos and i was not impressed.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:45:20 AM PST
Shocking!!!

Are you telling me that certain Sony loving fan boys are already finding reasons to hate something not Sony.....this is indeed a strange turn of events.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:51:14 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Wii U HAZ NO DEFINITIVES.

Destructoid 55
Nothing this Wii U release does can improve upon the core gameplay, which remains as dry, disaffected, and banausic as ever before. Razor's Edge gives us more, but when the original serving exceeded that which the player could stomach, "more" isn't a very tasty prospect.

GamesRadar 50
Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge still remains the weakest title in the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, but additions like the Ayane missions and balancing tweaks make the game a decent, gloriously gory action title...The weak story, repeat enemies, and frame-rate issues still hold the bloody title back from the greatness of its prestigious pedigree.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:15:00 AM PST
Don't care. I wasn't going to buy those titles anyway. I have an 360 & a PS3, so I've already played them. I'm getting the Wii U for Lego Undercover, Tekken Tag 2 (for Tekken Ball, Mario costumes, et), and Mario Wii U. And to be honest, anyone whose buying Arkham City & ME3 on the Wii U probably hasn't played them on the 360 / PS3 to know what they are missing. Again both titles are probably decent but nothing spectacular, just like all launch games (that aren't Nintendo 1st party titles) are.

Game reviews sites seem more influence by payola, boasting the game reviewers own ego, securing a positive relationship with publisher, and flame-baiting for view/trackbacks/ad clicks than for the love of gaming. Nintendo launches are generally bashed, while Sony/Microsoft ones are hyped to the hilt. I've been playing games long enough that I don't need a "pro" review to consider purchasing a game. If I do have doubts on a game purchase, I'm more likely to watch its game play on Youtube and read a few Amazon user reviews than run to a game review site.

Anyhow, I understand why regular people have a platform bias. They may not have enough money, skills, gaming history, or taste to appreciate all consoles. So they only choose one to focus on. However I think its say that game journalist, whose jobs are to give fair and balance game reviews, seem overwhelmingly anti-Nintendo, sometimes anti-Japanese (articles dooming the Japanese game industry, when everyone is suffering; THQ bankruptcy & EA trolling for a buyout), and even axe-grinding (Giving a 4.5 to Res 6 b/c it isn't a "horror game," madness! ). I consider myself a pretty balanced gamer. Yeah, I'm a bit "Nintendo 4 Lyfe" but that's never stopped me from buying and enjoying PS3 and Xbox 360 games. So I know there are good games to be had on all systems. But if you follow game review sites, you'll never know that.

I understand that gaming sites may lose ad money for being honest on a AAA title game. But even huge movie/tv/consumer-electronics sites, that run on ad revenue, aren't are as openly bias at gaming sites. So its not like its impossible for a media review site to have a balance. Several major movie review sites have ads for the new Twilight movie, even though most of them gave the movie a bad score. However unlike the movie industry, game devs are given bonuses based on their metacritic score; instead of their sales. This fosters an environment were paid positive game reviews thrive on major gaming sites.

Game Payola: http://bitmob.com/articles/payola-and-metacritic-in-the-gaming-press
Game Reviewers' pressures: http://www.gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/payola
Why Are Game Developer Bonuses Based On Review Scores?://kotaku.com/5893595/why-are-game-developer-bonuses-based-on-review-scores
Destructiod's Jim Sterling admitting to "paid" reviews: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/995487-/62359411
Gulf between game and movie reviews is huge:"http://wordsbynowak.com/2012/10/09/game-reviews/
Gaming Low Standards:http://wordsbynowak.com/2011/09/20/gears-of-war-xbox/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:32:01 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
You sir, are a real gamer. A member in full of the "Master Race"
aka the Multi-platform gamer. You have my respect and have won the internets this day. Cheers.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 10:37:24 AM PST
saskamazon says:
IGN gave AC Armored Edition a 9.5 & called it the definitive version ... I have it for PS3 already, but thought that was an encouraging review ....

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 12:17:55 PM PST
I'm getting a Wii U For Mario Wii U, and Monster Hunter 3 U. And a Zelda game that will come in like 3 years.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:00:04 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:59 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:12:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 1:17:23 PM PST
It's a bit too early to tell if it's a bad port. When people open their Wii U's for Christmas and play ME3 then we can hear about all the complaints or lack of complaints. So it could suck or it could be good we wont know until a larger sample size plays the system. Then people either complains about the "red ring of death" or about frame rates dropping. That's exactly why I never buy new systems at launch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 1:14:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 1:30:11 PM PST
Hey, I have no problem with people purchasing the Wii U for their own reasons. It's their money. I, however, have no reason to purchase one.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 1:16:18 PM PST
I sure as hell don't want Nintendo to go out of business. The Wii U shoulda came out 2-3 years earlier though touch screen technology isn't as crisp as it is now. They got the Vita perfect, even though the quality of games aren't there yet, it's getting better. There are no true RPG's, there are no eastern Action RPG's for the Vita, no basketball/hockey/wrestling/UFC for the Vita, no Tekken(SfvTk does not count, it's the Street Fighter port), no SoulCalibur, Battlefield, true Call of Duty that isn't mission based or like special ops in Modern Warfare 2/3, no Diablo clones, no Dark Souls clones/ports(Which would be a wet dream to me), no Dragon Age Origins

The Wii Rennovated console gaming by making it kid friendly, while retaining some of the popular licenses, the problem is, those same 10 year olds that played the Nintendo are 30 now, they want those complex games. Some do love the simpler games, but times have changed, I think Wii waited too long to adapt to the change in gaming, and now they are paying for it.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 2:19:38 PM PST
Waldo says:
LOTS of video game sites are saying the ports Wii U is getting are choppy looking! Yikes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions