Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:38:00 AM PST
"Nothing is True"

You speak the......truth? We aren't going to have all the answers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:38:49 AM PST
You're a good guy, Brony. I think you'll be fine.

You may want to consider the Cult of Cthulu, though. You get your own Deep One, sometimes you sprout a tentacle or two (helps for those extra chores), and all the madness you can tolerate (well...more than you can tolerate actually). I had a pamphlet, but I dropped it down a well I was poisoning so you may need to go to the website.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:39:05 AM PST
"Are your issues with God or the bible, though?"

The Bible

" I went through a period where I thought the same, went to college, focused on Roman/Greek history with an emphasis on theology and was able to filter out pretty well what the basis (the good) was in the religion. Remember, a lot of the more hateful, exclusionary stuff in the bible was written by Paul/Saul. A man who murdered a ton of Christians before falling off his horse, having a seizure, and saying he 'saw God'."

Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:41:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 11:44:27 AM PST
Thst sounds kewl, but Greeks get to have more sex. Giant squid dragons are too terrifying..... My water smells like anti-freeze for some reason....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:51:06 AM PST
Anthony says:
this.

and i'm speaking as an atheist. of course, it doesn't hurt that most of my friends and family, while they believe in god, aren't particularly religious.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:51:07 AM PST
Technosapien says:
I used to believe in the Bible, but as I got older, I realized what a crock it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:54:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 11:55:44 AM PST
Psshh...they're only terrifying until you learn their forbidden knowledge, then you die and it's probably less terrifying. Although from what Sloggoth says it's no picnic either. Maybe you shouldn't join the Cult of Cthulu. I think I got ripped off.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:02:54 PM PST
Those bast-*projectile vomiting*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:05:58 PM PST
This sounds more like reasons not to believe in religion than god.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:09:13 PM PST
Forever R. says:
God isn't on the same level as we are, so what we know as jealousy may not be exactly what jealousy is to God. I honestly think its a good thing to question what you are learning and know, otherwise your just going along with what you know.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:11:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 12:14:22 PM PST
I kept attending church through high school, even after I'd lost faith myself, just because I was friends with some of the congregation and it was important to my family. Since I left for college 13 years ago, I've been only a couple of times with my grandmother. I tried to "break it" to my mother once because I was young and idealistic, and it was disastrous to put it mildly. If there are true believers who love you, it will be very painful for them--and thus for you too. Since then, we just don't talk about it. When issues of faith come up around certain people in the family (like my grandmother), I don't lie, but I'm just polite and supportive and deliberately vague when needed. I have my own viewpoints, but I don't feel the need to crush my family with them. It helps that they are all more socially liberal than some Christians, so I don't have to smack them down for being too stupidly judgmental of others.

Good luck with however you decide to handle it. There are no right answers, just issues of what you're willing to endure. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:24:05 PM PST
"This sounds more like reasons not to believe in religion than god."

That may very well be the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:25:12 PM PST
"God isn't on the same level as we are, so what we know as jealousy may not be exactly what jealousy is to God"

Never thought of it that way. Just goes to how how interpretive the subject is.

" I honestly think its a good thing to question what you are learning and know, otherwise your just going along with what you know."

I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:26:38 PM PST
"I kept attending church through high school, even after I'd lost faith myself, just because I was friends with some of the congregation and it was important to my family. Since I left for college 13 years ago, I've been only a couple of times with my grandmother. I tried to "break it" to my mother once because I was young and idealistic, and it was disastrous to put it mildly."

Aaw, I'm sorry. You're extremely brave for doing that.

"If there are true believers who love you, it will be very painful for them--and thus for you too. Since then, we just don't talk about it. When issues of faith come up around certain people in the family (like my grandmother), I don't lie, but I'm just polite and supportive and deliberately vague when needed. I have my own viewpoints, but I don't feel the need to crush my family with them. It helps that they are all more socially liberal than some Christians, so I don't have to smack them down for being too stupidly judgmental of others."

Understood.

"Good luck with however you decide to handle it. There are no right answers, just issues of what you're willing to endure. :)"

Thank you so much.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 12:28:09 PM PST
I always liked the part about "being created in God's image". I always took that to mean that we, too, are Creators and have the power to build and to destroy. I know that's a highly subjective interpretation, but I like it. I hope that if we ever create life we instill it with the fire of curiousity and ambition and not make it into some slave race of AIs or sex dolls, ha ha.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:29:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 12:30:51 PM PST
"I always liked the part about "being created in God's image". I always took that to mean that we, too, are Creators and have the power to build and to destroy. I know that's a highly subjective interpretation, but I like it.I hope that if we ever create life we instill it with the fire of curiousity and ambition and not make it into some slave race of AIs"

That's actually a pretty cool way of looking at it.

"or sex dolls, ha ha."

Erm....we can't? B'(

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 12:31:03 PM PST
A customer says:
I believe in *a* god. Whether that god be a deity, an extraterrestrial, the universe itself or simply nothingness, god is out there. I can't tell you which it is because I simply don't know. I'm shooting for deity. I think the Christian religion, like all others, is simply an interpretation of what could be. Just realize there's a huge difference between renouncing your religion and renouncing your faith. They don't necessarily have to go hand in hand.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:32:44 PM PST
" Just realize there's a huge difference between renouncing your religion and renouncing your faith."

That's something that this thread is teaching me very well. I never really thought of it that way till now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:37:57 PM PST
Forever R. says:
wait are you still in college?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:40:37 PM PST
A customer says:
Yeah, she's been in college 13 years... Kanye West would be proud.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:41:25 PM PST
Forever R. says:
I'm just asking.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 12:50:10 PM PST
Well, if you count teaching at a college, then yes, I am. But I finished my B.A. in three years, M.A. in two, and M.F.A. in two more, so I haven't been a student in quite some time, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 2:16:52 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
I place 0 faith in science. I see how scientists get results. Their conclusions are based on evidence and are tested.

Faith is believing in a magical man that lives in the sky and believes in the same things you do.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 4:17:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 4:17:51 PM PST
The Bible is the greatest troll on humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 4:26:59 PM PST
That's good, because His existence depends on whether you acknowledge it or not.

Seriously, though (and this will be the only thing I post on this, just because getting involved in a discussion like this almost always turns into a flame war), I think you're hanging around the wrong kinds of Christians. Not all Christians have the same beliefs on...well, almost anything. So I'd first suggest 1. a change of "venue"...find some Christians that have put a bit more thought into what they believe (or, more accurately, how they've contextualized faith), and 2. read the Bible for yourself...here, I don't mean this as if you've never read any of the Bible...I mean, sit down and read through one of the gospels (to start...I suggest Luke), without any preconceived notions or ideas about what it says or about what you've been TOLD Jesus is all about...often people who do this find out that the Jesus of the Bible is not the one that is commonly preached/followed.

I'll also say that I think it's OK to struggle with faith. There's nothing in the Bible that says it's wrong/sinful to doubt. On the contrary, God is big enough to handle our doubts and work through them with us.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions