Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

10 Trends That Are Killing Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 129 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:16:21 PM PST
"In Deus Ex: Human Revolution you are a freaking cyborg, when you get hurt all the crazy technology in your body heals you."

While I understand the mechanical (heh) need for this in a modern game, it actually doesn't make sense within the fiction of the DE universe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:16:44 PM PST
FOGE says:
Hahaha awesome!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:17:58 PM PST
Heh, this is something I'd expect DV to write.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:19:28 PM PST
Exit only!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:21:27 PM PST
No. There should be no minimum to the price games can go on sale for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:22:19 PM PST
Why? I would love to have $100 on me, and get 2-5 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:22:25 PM PST
Different folks like to be stroked differently.

Wait, that's not right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:22:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 5:23:48 PM PST
DVvM says:
It doesn't actually make sense with the fiction of the DE universe as established in DE and Invisible War, I actually sort of view Human Revolution as less of a prequel and more of a reimagining (a la the Battlestar Galactica miniseries that spun off into a new series on Sci-Fi).

At least, I took the post-credit coda of DE:HR to be "Hey guys, we're going to remake Deus Ex next." I'm hoping this actually happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:23:24 PM PST
What? You said games should be a $20 minimum. Why would I want that when I can get games for $10, instead?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:24:30 PM PST
FOGE says:
I hear you all talk about Deus Ex lore and I'm over hear like "Holy shot! I have retractable blades in my arms?! Awesome!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:25:23 PM PST
Oh, sorry. I would LOVE that!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:29:35 PM PST
K Archer says:
Heck...even the Doom Marine, wading through *heck* doesn't regen health...Nightmare in 3 actually makes him slowly lose it! Yeah, I hate the run-of-the-mill guys with regen, or people in a "realistic" or "modern" game with it. Story/lore can make or break some mechanics for me in games. Weird, I know. I also just don't like the whole "have to hide for a few seconds to be able to fight again" mechanic it brings...you're forced to sit around a lot and wait in order to finish fights; with health packs the fights tend to be more balanced (IMO) in that you can beat most with even 10 HP left...rarely can you start a fight with low health and keep your health low throughout an entire fight with regen; you have to constantly pause and take cover because enemies do so much damage.
Yeah, I grew up with health packs in shooters, so yeah...And the old Unreal/Quake's MP system (including the health packs) is way better then the "modern" MP shooter system we have...they really need to make a new UT close to the original or 2004...I just think it makes for a MUCH better MP experience then regen.

Games with an element of magic or really, really advanced tech (lol...I guess you can use a bit of both in the case of B-Lands) I can forgive regen a lot more, since it can be explained in the lore (assuming it isn't done horribly). Also, Mass Effect did have health regen...but it was only to fill the partial "bar" of health, like in Resistance 1&2 (and I really don't mind that version of regen)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:33:29 PM PST
FOGE says:
R2 had CoD style regen health actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:36:07 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think the problem with having health packs scattered around the map (Quake style) in MP is that it provides a major advantage to people who memorize the maps and thus know where all the item spawn points are. This runs contrary to the modern trend that made MP shooters so popular; they are extremely accessible.

It takes comparatively little in terms of skill or preparation to pick up a modern Call of Duty game and go online and play multiplayer and do enough interesting things that you have fun, particularly when compared to games like the old Quake or multiplayer games in other genres, like Street Fighter.

I have to say regenerating health doesn't really bother me (it's like "being able to jump 25 feet in the air" to me). What does bother me though is that shooting games now don't drastically punish your accuracy when moving while shooting, and don't accurately model weapon recoil very well (IRL if you walk backwards while repeatedly shooting a high powered shotgun, you will probably end up falling on your butt.) Also, any game that lets you fire two guns at once (one in each hand) and hit anything other than scenery, that bugs me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:36:28 PM PST
K Archer says:
It did? Oops. OK, so just R1. Been a while since I played either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:36:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:38:54 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think the idea that made regenerating health so attractive to modern devs is the notion that having to backtrack through the entire level in order to find health packs really breaks your pacing in a bad way. There's certainly a grain of truth to that, as there are games where you really shouldn't have the player doing that.

It's just that behavior is certainly fine in some games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:40:25 PM PST
FOGE says:
Ha yeah. All good :) I was a bit obsessed with R2 so it's engrained in my memory. I really liked R1s health system btw

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:42:41 PM PST
FOGE says:
Saints Row showed me that I like regen health. I swear, half my time in GTAIV was getting hot dogs and body armor from Little Jakob.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:44:28 PM PST
K Archer says:
See, I like the old MP-style a TON better. Its much more rewarding and just more fun. It also places skill over everything (knowing the maps is just a subset of "skill" in a game).

Closest new games I can get to that now are Warhawk and Starhawk (SH less so, but its still a lot closer then most). And yeah, I know people hate both because they're "too hard" (read: skill-based) and no one wants to learn. I couldn't fly a Hawk for anything when I started playing, got completely crushed and no one gave me a break...but now I have a lot of people staying out of the air (or doing their best to avoid me...this includes several WH generals and other WH vets) when they see my pink Hawk or dodge pattern on the other team. And I fly Pro/Advanced, not Normal/Classic Arcade...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:44:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 5:49:19 PM PST
"he's a dude with no neck who is wearing half a car as no armor"

Hey! Marcus is very sensitive about his missing neck. And that carmor used to be his dad's old Honda Accord that he used to take a very muscular woman to prom. Besides, I know exactly how Marcus regenerates health. He sucks raw nutrients from the lichen sticking to all the chest-high walls he loves to hide behind. You could say he's aaaaa

Lichenthrope!

Good night everyone! See you tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:55:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 5:58:00 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, I think there's a place for all sorts of games along the "games that heavily emphasize skills and knowledge" and "games that everybody can pick up and play" continuum.

So like KoFXIII is at one extreme (this game is too technical for me) and Mario Party is at the other.

The problem is that everybody who makes shooters want to achieve Call of Duty's financial success, and one of the reasons CoD is so popular is that it's so much more accessible than Quake, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:55:55 PM PST
FOGE says:
Check out Twisted Metal. It's very old school like Starhawk. I really enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:56:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2012 6:01:10 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Learning about item placement in maps is less about skill and more about time spent playing/repetition. Obviously there's some memorization skill involved, but it largely comes down to just "paying your dues" so to speak with time investment. Modern MP games generally try to make it easier for newer players to jump in by removing that. I think it's mostly because there are just SO many games vying for people's attention, that some developers try to even the playing field in some ways so the new, less experienced players will have fun and stick around. To still be in the upper echelon's of a lot of today's game still takes skill, but you're definitely right in saying that skill is often a smaller part of the equation for MP enjoyment nowadays with perks/killstreaks and all that rigamarole.

I loved Warhawk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 5:57:20 PM PST
FOGE says:
I'll testify to Archers skill btw. I was pretty solid, not great at Warhawk and she tears me apart in Starhawk.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions