Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What is the VGF reading?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 631 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 8:46:45 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
I hear you, just seems like a lot of people lose interest towards the middle of the series.

It does slow down a bit, but personally I enjoy the characters so much it never really bothered me.

I hope if you give them another shot you make it all the way through and enjoy them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:02:02 AM PDT
I loved all of those. I get weird looks whenever I recommend Aquaman, and I liked how the comic addressed that he's kind of everyone's favorite whipping boy.

Haven't given Firestorm a try tho. I was kind of on the fence with that one, Hawkman, and the Flash.

Did you grab All Star Western? If not, you should give it a try. It belongs on your list.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:05:19 AM PDT
I tried reading Children of Men a couple different times. I think my problem is i keep going into it expecting the movie. From what I've read of it, it is almost nothing like the movie.

Doesn't mean it's not enjoyable, it's just not what I'm looking for, I guess.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:07:16 AM PDT
badeggsalad says:
Oh, & if anybody here wants any post-apocalyptic fiction recommendations... Ask away. It's only a slightly minor obsession of mine. Ha.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:08:42 AM PDT
Anjel says:
Have you read his Codex series?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:08:52 AM PDT
I really liked how Aquaman was like a Superman-level badass, but everyone was like "What's up with this n00b?"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:09:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 9:12:30 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Yeah they are very different.

I loved both.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:11:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 9:14:34 AM PDT
Seeing a lot of love for the Song of Ice and Fire, which is awesome. That's a great series, and the 5th book is nestled into my big long reading list.

I read The Sword Itself of the First Law Trilogy earlier this year, and was sucked into it, but got distracted by working 2 jobs. Now that I'm back down to one, I picked up the rest of the trilogy at a local used book store.

SuperGods is a great read for comic book nerds, especially fans of Grant Morrison. I know his writing can be a little bewildering at times, but he tells the craziest stories, which makes up for the sometimes muddled writing.

EDIT: The Wheel of Time has been on my radar for a few years, but it just seems so daunting that I'm afraid to put it on my list. I know tons of fans of the series, but a dozen doorstop books is a little overwhelming.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:18:35 AM PDT
M. McFly says:
Just finished Ready Player One. If you were a teenager in the 80s, or are fan of the 80s culture you cannot miss this book.

Ready Player One

THIS

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:23:18 AM PDT
I agree for the most part that it was good writing, though when I first picked it up I took issue with McCarty's seemingly pointless insistence on ignoring quotation marks.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:25:03 AM PDT
No, I totally agree. There wasn't much, if any, style bleedthrough. The only adjustment period I personally noticed was with Mat.
Mat WAS Jordan - a total Mary Stu. In Gathering Storm he was very flat and two dimensional, but by the time Sanderson got to writing Towers of Midnight he'd completely mastered the character.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:27:06 AM PDT
I'm kind of avoiding it. The last thing I need in my life is another epically sprawling fantasy series, and I like his voice as a campy noir writer too much to want to try him as a different voice.

I AM however considering and going back to the first couple of Dresden books. I'm currently writing what I wanted to be a plucky sarcastic style of hero and I'm having difficulty writing him.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:27:17 AM PDT
It worked out nicely that when Jordan died (RIP) Mat happened to be going through a fairly major life change, so I could kind of "write off" the weird adjustment period as him getting used to being the new Mat. Still my favorite character though and it's not even close.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:28:29 AM PDT
I'm reading The Johnstown Flood and The Devil Colony: A Sigma Force Novel I also just found out that James Rollins is a huge gamer...mentioned staying up all night to finish the Gears 3 campaign...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:31:44 AM PDT
Anjel says:
I've avoided it too... which is odd for me, because when I find a new ''I love'' author, then I usually jump on everything they've ever written.

In a reading lull over the summer, I re-read up through Summer Knight (which still remains one of my top 3 in that series)... Reminded me all over again why I love this series. Dresden is just so damn likable. I wish you luck on your writing!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 9:49:38 AM PDT
Let's hope I can make my guy half as likable as Harry. :D

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:25:28 AM PDT
I'm reading a dictionary. It's not as exciting as I thought it would be...

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:30:57 AM PDT
Campy says:
Taking a break from reading. Had a Vonnegut intensive summer. Read Cat's Cradle, Timequake, Deadeye Dick and Mother Night.

I've been trying to read L'assomoir but I dunno. Zola makes for some real depressing summer reading.

"I tried reading Children of Men a couple different times. I think my problem is i keep going into it expecting the movie. From what I've read of it, it is almost nothing like the movie."

I read the book after I saw/loved the movie. I would daresay the movie is lightly based even. The book is a detectivesque kind of thriller. It was ok, imo. Dunno.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 10:38:10 AM PDT
drowe says:
I read Hunger Games and Catching Fire while on my trip in Europe the last two weeks. I thought they were both very good books that I had a hard time putting down. I'll have to read the last one but I don't read too often when I'm not traveling.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 10:40:15 AM PDT
bperr says:
I havent read anything in a while....hoping the kindle fire resparks my love of it....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:11:42 AM PDT
new Tron says:
That's cool, drowe, where did you go in Europe?

I just hope that Hunger Games isn't one of those books where its blatently obvious that the author wrote it with the intention that it will be developed into a movie and become a cash grab. That's how I felt after reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I despised that book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:14:48 AM PDT
Was that really the impression you had? I haven't read the books, but I don't know that it was the author's intention considering he'd written most of the series ages before he died and then just kind of sat on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:19:44 AM PDT
new Tron says:
The book to me just screamed "make me into a mainstream Hollywood movie please!". I know the story about the author and how died and all that, but it was really hard for me to not get the feeling that he was really going for commercial appeal with that book. I just don't like books like that, just like I can't stand most Hollywood blockbuster movies.

Don't bother with the books if you're considering it. Just watch the Swedish movie adaptations...they're availiable on Netflix streaming. Also, David Fincher is making them into movies as well. I think the first one is due out this fall sometime.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:23:48 AM PDT
drowe says:
I went to Munich for Oktoberfest, Prague, Berlin and Amsterdam.
I didn't feel the books were written to be made into a movie. I thought she developed the characters very well and now looking at the casting list each person I'm thinking hmm they could be good as that character or I think that isn't a good casting role for that part.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:27:48 AM PDT
I figure I might pick them up from the library one day, but for the most part I don't want to give the current owners of the property any of my money.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  631
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions