Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What is the VGF reading?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 631 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:29:17 AM PDT
The Kindle is a great way to get back into books. I find myself reading a lot of the books which sell for only a dollar or two and finding a lot of gems.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 11:30:53 AM PDT
J. Niles says:
I'm reading the game of thrones books. After watching the TV show I couldn't wait until next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:32:28 AM PDT
Anjel says:
That's on my ''library list'' as well, but I hadn't been since my kids got back in school and started checking out their books from school.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:34:03 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
I haven't been since I picked up Changes in January and accidentally kept it until March. They kind of want my head and the only time I think to pay the $35 fee is when I don't have it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:36:18 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
I'm holding off on watching the show until I read at least the first book. It's been tough, ha.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 11:37:37 AM PDT
Anjel says:
Haha... Oh man. My library starts plaquing automatic phone calls at about $5 worth, and I'm glad for it. I hate when I have to pay for free books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:39:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 11:39:40 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Our Library got a little more relaxed about it. THey told me they sent my stuff to a collections' agency who sent me all of two letters then prompty ignored me.

What was making me laugh about the whole thing was that I got it from the Library because I couldn't afford to buy it, and then I ended up having to pay more than it cost new in hardcover AND I wouldn't even get to keep it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 11:42:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 11:42:56 AM PDT
Anjel says:
Well, what's the fine if you just tell them you lost it?

Edit: Nevermind, it just dawned on me that you've already returned it... duh.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 12:11:49 PM PDT
Esteban says:
Kindle is by far the coolest electronic device I own, it has doubled my reading time and my spending in books :P

Wanted to comment on Hunger Games... I read the three books back to back last year. The first one is perfect, great story and pacing... after such a great start, the other two were kinda disappointing. They were ok but nowhere near the level of the 1st book.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 12:30:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 12:31:22 PM PDT
badeggsalad says:
Well, my lunchtime reading ended up being from The Collected Novels of Jose Saramago. He wrote the book Blindness, which was turned into a movie starring Julianne Moore a few years ago. That might ring a bell for some people who aren't otherwise familiar with his works.

Good stuff. Everything he's ever written in one big Kindle volume. The book's only $15 or so & would be mammoth in paper format. Plus it's super cheap for that much wonderful reading material. I'd have paid twice that. For non-eareader people, this particular volume isn't available, it's in digital format only. Anybody who has a Kindle, though, it's definitely worth checking out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 12:36:04 PM PDT
mega Tron says:
I read Blindness a few years ago, but I think my experience of it was tainted because I had literally just read The Road, and it had a similar "survival under the worst possible conditions" theme to it, and I just didn't enjoy reading it. I've been meaning to try another of Saramago's books. Do you have a recommendation?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 1:02:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 1:03:26 PM PDT
Anjel says:
While I might be spending more on reading with my Kindle... I'm spending far less on bookshelves! ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 1:16:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2011 1:23:58 PM PDT
badeggsalad says:
I can understand where that wouldn't have been a good book to read right after The Road. Favorites of mine from Saramago's works include Death with Interruptions & The Cave. Blindness is good, but not my favorite.

His writing style puts a lot of people off, though. He tends to eschew the use of periods & writes very long, extended sentences using a lot of commas. He also frequently doesn't name his characters & there's a sense of detachment from them as a result.

After reading a novel by McCarthy, having several writing style quirks of his own, I can see where Blindness might not have grabbed you. Blindness is worth reading, though. There was a follow up to it written in 2004, titled Seeing. Some of the characters from Blindness carry over. Both are worthy reads, along with my two favorites listed above.

I've read everything he's ever written, though, and have truly liked all of it.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 1:22:11 PM PDT
Kr155 says:
Im about half way into Clash of Kings: A Song of Fire and Ice

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 1:25:29 PM PDT
mega Tron says:
I remember seeing Death With Interruption on the store shelves (RIP Borders) and thinking it sounded interesting. I might pick that one up. I didn't mind his writing style at all when I read Blindness. I think that I just thought The Road was SO good (its one of my favorite books of all time now and I've been a pretty voracious reader for very long time) that Blindness never stood a chance. But thanks for the recommendations!

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 4:46:28 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Not far into Bag of Bones yet. Not to the ghost stuff, but all this insider talk about writer's block is terrifying me, truly.

I dipped into the Dance with Dragons forum on AMZ today and was greeted by a block of mouthbreathing whiners. Seriously, guys. If you hate an author that much why are you prowling around the page on Amazon talking about what a hack he is? It would be one thing if it were a non-fiction or political piece, but a work of fiction?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 4:53:58 PM PDT
DVvM says:
In defense of the aDwD folks, you have to realize that these people were waiting for this book for six years, and the prequel had a great number of cliffhangers. With that sort of setup, it's not hard to see how someone who is fond of something will be disappointed with the final product. If GRRM manages to get the next book out without four years of rewrites, they'll be happier.

I think, honestly, the book did suffer from going through the "extensively rewritten for four years" process. It was sort of disjointed because parts of it were written six or more years before other parts.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 5:10:01 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
I think I have a bit of sympathy for him, though. I mean, I've been through that "Holy crap, wrote myself in a corner, now I need to go back and do everything over" thing, and it was terrifying WITHOUT millions of people on my case about it. Plus all the horrible things fans have said to him about how hold and fat he is and how angry they'll be if he "pulls a Jordan" on them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 5:21:19 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Oh, certainly some of his rabid fancritics are behaving reprehensibly, but he has invited at least some of this on himself and he's got enough money that he can afford to dry his tears on $100 bills, so I'm not too concerned.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2011 5:23:00 PM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Money's not a terrific cure-all when the disease is vitriol, really. They might have more money than us, but they bruise just as easily.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 5:26:31 AM PDT
Anjel says:
So very true.

Guest, have you written anything that's been published/self-published that you'd care to share?

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 6:13:56 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
Nothing yet. I'm kind of leery of the self publishing market right now... I'm getting ready to start submitting a storm of short stories out to magazines for publication, but I'm not actually printed anywhere yet.

Posted on Oct 6, 2011 6:18:02 AM PDT
I've actually been reading some old school Spider-Man comics, especially the ones with the original Hobgoblin. IMO, he was one of the greatest and most devious villains in fiction, period. Such a well, developed character.

The last book I read was Narnia: The Silver Chair. Excellent Book!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 9:21:55 AM PDT
What genre are you writing? I've been building a world for the past year to set a fantasy book in, but I'm afraid of making it a glorified D&D adventure. I've got one chapter down, and parts of two more, but I got distracted/scared/overwhelmed and haven't written anything for a few months.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 9:52:30 AM PDT
I think you should write a short story about the VGF called "It was the GUEST!! of times, it was a waste of time"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  631
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions