I Do Not Like Physical Media

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 150 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:00:34 PM PST
I.Flores says:
Pretty shelves>>full HDDs

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:02:10 PM PST
A customer says:
Books, on the other hand, those need to go. Now. It has nothing to do with sentimentality, it's to do with preserving our environment. I'm not one of those tree-huggers, not by any means, but if it's a way to slow the rate of deforestation a little bit, then ebooks are is the way to go.

Liner notes don't even compare with books, so that's not an argument for music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:03:48 PM PST
Two words: Recycled paper. The physicality of books is even more powerful than the physicality of other media for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:12:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 8:13:08 PM PST
A customer says:
You're a bibliophile. I'm an audiophile. Very, VERY different personality types, so your opposition is to be expected. That said, I hope you're right. I really do. Somehow, I get the feeling that not everyone recycles enough to fulfill your preconception.

"The number of trees that are cut down annually to produce the books sold in the U.S.: more than 30 million (in accordance with the data on the Environmental Trends and Climate Impacts: Findings from the U.S. Book Industry report)"
http://www.ecolibris.net/bookpublish.asp

30 million trees a year. I repeated that part for emphasis. And that's just for the United States!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:15:24 PM PST
Okay, I'll give up books if you switch to a bidet and the back of your hand. Even trade.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:28:34 PM PST
A customer says:
But that would waste water...

Point taken.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:33:36 PM PST
DVvM says:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that CDs, DVDs, or Video Game cases look all that good on shelves. Books, and records? Yes, but those other things, not really.

I mean, I keep them on shelves, they're just not pretty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:41:24 PM PST
A customer says:
When you have thousands and thousand of CD's all packed tightly together in a large shelf system, the visual effect is pretty cool. When light reflects off the sides of the jewel cases, it creates the optical illusion that there's a giant screen of glass covering them. I didn't even notice that, someone pointed that out to me. It is a neat effect. Certainly not unattractive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:44:09 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I think it depends on the cases. For instance, my PS1 shelf is rather small and done in layers, with my favorite case art facing outward. My Sega CD and Sega Saturn games, on the other hand, are facing spine out because I like that each has the game's logo instead of a standard font.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:47:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 10:21:44 PM PST
I.Flores says:
Records? You just see a 1/8 inch thick, tall cardboard spine with small lettering

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 8:54:37 PM PST
Probably more of the cumulative effect.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:56:20 PM PST
A customer says:
Usually people put their LPs in box-like displays so as they can be flipped through and examined up close.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:01:15 PM PST
That's cool. It gets to part of what I love about collection of any media. You go to people's houses and you learn things about them, just by seeing what's on their shelves.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:02:44 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Don't we plant new trees anyways?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:16:00 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Considering that what sounds good is completely relative and entirely based on individual perspective, I find this post very pompous sounding.

Regardless, you can feel free to sit and listen to your scratchy records (while they last), but the world is moving on. See ya!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:16:08 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
I used to have mine, all in shoe boxes, as I do now, but on the floor against the far wall in my room...bout four rows deep and like ten columns. i laid one of those tall and skinny mirrors up against the wall along the edge of the boxes against the wall - and that was a dope effect - a mirror image of my collection fooling me into thinking I have double the inventory. Dope as hell.

No I do have them on a shelf - two actually - and I love the sight of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 10:17:34 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
"You go to people's houses and you learn things about them, just by seeing what's on their shelves."

Exactly...you bring a girl over and start showin her the contents of your hard drive,(innuendos aside), well then, that is just an age that I don't choose to embrace.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:03:15 PM PST
A customer says:
"start showin her the contents of your hard drive"

Oof. She'd be gone before she got to littleorphantranny2.avi

"Regardless, you can feel free to sit and listen to your scratchy records"

Oooookaaay? Like I'd complain, haha. If you'll pardon the platitude, we've both chosen our own path. I'm happy in mine. Just enjoy yours. If it's an iPod pushing the radio edit of "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver" on 196 kbps AAC through Beats By Dre earbuds, so be it. I don't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:26:27 AM PST
What, does the smell of a Starbucks packed full of scarf wearing, Mac book toting, hipsters sound more appealing to you? Maybe, maybe not.

I don't like Coffee of any kind, Mac/iItems of any kind, or going to places where 1 or both are involved.

"Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that CDs, DVDs, or Video Game cases look all that good on shelves. Books, and records? Yes, but those other things, not really."

They aren't, they take up too much space. I don't even understand why anyone would want records, they are so thin... and pointless. I'll take the sound quality of an mp3 over an old record, that requires an old record player.

"Exactly...you bring a girl over and start showin her the contents of your hard drive,(innuendos aside), well then, that is just an age that I don't choose to embrace. "

I suppose that's fine too. I would prefer my boyfriend not be a pack-rat with over cluttered shelves. To each their own.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:57:00 AM PST
A customer says:
Obviously, you've never heard of 180g or 220g vinyl, Jack. It feels thick as hell, and practically indestructable compared to regular LPs. It's pretty much the norm for modern audiophile repressings. The Marshall Mathers *LP* never sounded so GOOD! An old record player? They still make those, you know. With a proper stylus, no record that's been well cared for should ever sound scratchy or poppy.

Aw, the bass tone. The audio warmth and fatness of the bass, the entitre sound stage of the low end, MP3s can't compare to records in that regard. Have you ever heard The Chronic on record through an all-tube system? You haven't lived.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:23:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:25:11 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
"I suppose that's fine too. I would prefer my boyfriend not be a pack-rat with over cluttered shelves. To each their own. "

I don't think a shelf or two in a room with anything on those shelves constitutes a pack rat.

It's pretty simple - it's a collection thing. You ever collect anything? That's all there is to collecting vinyl or cds. A collection. It's fun. It is a specific interest that is enjoyable to the collector. Nothing more to it than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:24:39 AM PST
Mate I listen to music all day long, but Only because I just enjoy hearing it, I'm not an Audiophile (not really sure what the means).

Music keeps me going through the day, I can't exactly bring a record player with me to work and back. And you are correct as I don't even know what 180g or 220g mean. When i was born records were already phased out (I'm 25) When I started listening to music I was at the end of the Cassette era and in the CD era. Then in high school i moved onto the MP3 era and haven't looked back. I also don't know what an All-tube system is.

Mp3s are easy to obtain, easy to move around and sound perfectly fine to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:28:46 AM PST
Collected... no not really. Not in the sense of "I must have it because it's part of a collection"

I own all the Redwall books, but only because i wanted to read them. If I had the choice before Mp3s I would have not purchased so many CDs. Recently I took all the music off of them I could and got rid of my CDs.

I own most of the Skylanders figures because I wanted to use them in my game, not just have them.

I keep my collecting to video games mostly, I prefer to collect things in games, such as All the Pokemon or all the rare items in game. Stuff like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:31:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:35:08 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Whatever works for you as far as listening to music. That is all you need to be concerned about.

With any hobby or interest, there are enthusiasts. Who just might look a little deeper or take a bit more interest in an activity you may or may not partake in. To put it simply, the sound quality of the mp3 listening experience is different. There are arguments for a recording on vinyl. There are arguments for the recording on cd. Mp3's are convenient, yes.

A vinyl collection is a home listening experience type o deal. No one is suggesting dragging a turn table around.

To a connoisseur, an assortment of recordings on vinyl available to be played on a home stereo is the ideal listening experience.

To others - an ipod and their earbuds or docking station is ideal.

To each his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:34:24 AM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
"Not in the sense of "I must have it because it's part of a collection""

You act as though there is some mystery behind wanting to collect anything. "Must have it" isn't necessarily the case all the time. It's pretty simple.

Like this -

"Man I really like this band, this album is fantastic - I would love to have more from them."

That's it. Some people collect baseball cards. Others rare items in Pokemon. I collect music. Everyone's gotta have a hobby.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions