Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls again, lol...SPOILERS!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 822 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:35:39 AM PST
Chris... says:
That's the lady I'm referring to in my last response. She's by a column in the swamp area. You'll have to go to her to continue upgrading your pyro glove. The only case is which she shouldn't be sitting there is if you kill the spider lady. I'd have to check the wiki but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:36:23 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
No, you're thinking about the right person. But you can still get to her without going through the Depths or killing Capra. Without killing Capra you miss out on:

Large Ember
Pyro Trainer
Armor of Thorns

And some other little stuff like the Ring of Evil Eye.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:47:45 AM PST
True, but even about that time the Drake Sword is starting to show its age. Honestly the Drake Sword isnt really that good after the gargoyles. If I have a character that I put enough str in to use it, I still usually grab it just because it makes that first part a LOT easier, but once I get past the Gargoyles I usually let Beatrice kill the Moonlight Butterfly (easiest boss fight evar) and then down Capra. The Drake Sword kind of is meh to even a plus 7ish weapon in most cases.

As for the pyro guy, I guess you could kind of skip him and take down Quelaag first, seeing as pyro isnt that useful in that fight anyways. But to me the Ember is worth grabbing asap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:49:35 AM PST
Aaaaah i see... fascinating.

I have to remember that if I ever try to make a Pyro.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 6:57:21 AM PST
The one in Blighttown swamp, yes. But I believe she doesnt appear unless you have your pyro glove upgraded to a certain point.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:59:03 AM PST
Dark souls has so many If Clauses!!!!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:02:59 AM PST
Chris... says:
I just checked. You have to upgrade your pyro glove to +10 before she'll appear in the swamps. So if you have a pyro build, then the Depths is not skippable. You'll need to go to the Depths to free the pyro guy and use him to upgrade your hand to +10.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 10:04:13 AM PST
Just started a Pyro/Dex in dedication to this thread stoking my desire to play, and wouldn't you know it that the first BK drops the sword. If I'm making a Str build, that thing never drops there. Oh well, still going to keep the build as pure as I can make her. Took down the first bell, got my elite armor from the Garden, killed Lautrec in an honest way(come to find out for myself that I can parry that nutcheese, never knew that. Just did it out of habit). Now, just need to take down Capra and go down to the depths.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:14:13 AM PST
Sars says:
I know that. I was just saying, I always look at the people before i summon them but sometimes they change equipment when we get to the boss room.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:17:57 AM PST
Sars says:
Is that true, cause i could of sworn she was there almost everytime i went down there. even if i didnt go threw the depts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:21:41 AM PST
Chris... says:
I'm confused as well. I could have sworn I used her to upgrade my glove to +10 and beyond but that's what the wiki says.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:32:33 AM PST
Quelaag's sword is AWESOME as a dex build. I primarily used that and a lightning uchi and kept a +15 Iato as a back up, just in case.

So far I think the pure Int build is the most OP. Yeah, it kind of blows hard in the very early game. But once you get either a Moonlight spear or the MLGS, or heck even just upgrade something high enough with magic or enchanted, you become ridiculously OP. Not only can you blow stuff up with magic, you also are pretty dangerous in melee fights as well.

Most of the bosses were a joke after I free Logan in Sen's and bought his spells. Heck even O&S were pushovers. Was soooooo much easier to just sort of run away far enough, blast them in the face with a soul spear or that first homing soulmass spell you get, rinse and repeat.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:34:53 AM PST
From what I've heard her spawn is somewhat random, nobody is 100% sure what causes it, but alot of the times she doesnt show up until later on. Usually if you just skip the Depths and go down to kill Quelaag after the gargoyles she's not there. Heck I've had her not show up for me a few times till waaaaaaay later in the game. On my dex/pyro I would check that place constantly and she didnt show up until after I did Sen's. But I know on other characters I've run into her down there on the way to kill Quelaag. So I'm really not sure what causes her to appear there, but she's not there reliably enough to skip the Depths imo.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:09:19 AM PST
You guys and your Dark Souls. I may have to get this plat'd now that DS2 was announced. I'm plat'ing Demon's Souls as we speak (farmed the Pure Bladestone last night in only one hour!). I have a question for you guys: I squeaked through NG with a Pyro and got demoralized by NG+. What are some NG+ tips for weapons/SLs?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 11:18:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 11:18:57 AM PST
Weaps depends on where you put your levels at. If mage I always went with the big cannons with insanity cata, morion blade, silver coronet or tornado head depending, Clever rat ring and magical sharpness for rings. This mage build is a high risk/high reward, but if you're good on your feet and can roll at your fastest speeds you can push on through pretty much everything.

And I misread your post. I thought you were asking for our builds in Demon's Souls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 11:21:23 AM PST
Bleeding weapons. Other then that, its a grind either way. There really is no secret, but I have found using weapons that cause bleed in NG+ help out on bosses a ton. At least the ones that the bleeding thing works on. Other then that 100-120 SL is the sweet spot, have a set build in mind, make sure weapons, armor, pyro glove, etc are all upgraded to max and thats really all you can do.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 11:38:55 AM PST
Chris... says:
Maxing out your equipment is key. Have you fully ascended your pyro glove into the chaos glove? After you do that I'm pretty sure t scales with intelligence. You can also increase your attunment slots and double up on your spells/pyromancies.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 11:54:48 AM PST
Rofl Daft. no, I'm pretty much a Demon's Souls encyclopedia now. I was a Royal Mage and NG+ was easy as pie (Clever Rat/Ring of Sharpness hyper mode ftw)

My Dark Souls character was pyro/sword and board with str/faith emphasis. I'm using a divine sword, but it's only like +7 atm.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:21:19 PM PST
That's part of your problem, whats your Str at? You would probably be better off getting a good STR scaling weapon that is buffable, upping it to +15 and then using one of the faith weapon buffs. And yeah, maxing out the pyro glove should be a priority, I usually try to have it maxed out before I do Tomb of the Giants as its really helpful at taking out those annoying fricking dogs.

Also just having a weapon of each upgrade path lying around helps. I generally have one +15, one max lightning, one max fire and one max divine/magic, etc etc. Obviously if I'm not running magic I dont do one of those, but hopefully you get the drift. That way if you run into mobs that arent taking much damage from what you've got equipped, you can switch around and see if maybe something else you have works better on them.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:30:02 PM PST
Yikes. That seems like a lot of stone grinding :(

I thought my divine weapon scaled with faith so I was pumping faith up and keeping STR at like 20. I may have to reroll ha ha.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:39:27 PM PST
It will keep some of its strength scaling, but when you upgrade to divine, magic, fire, etc it also loses a LOT of that str/dex scaling that was on the original weapon and usually switches to be higher faith scaling. Some weapons will even completely remove the str/dex scaling and make it all faith.

Depending on your str/faith it can be a lot more beneficial to go with a +15 weapon and use the weapon buffs on bosses, etc to get more damage output. Now I'm not sure how well that still stands up to say a person who went like 50 points into faith and only like 20 in str though. But I know the buffs also scale with faith, so with a +15 you're getting the normal +15 damage that scales with str, along with the nice weapon buff damage that then scales with faith. So I would assume that you'd be getting a LOT more damage going that way then just pure divine.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:40:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 12:45:49 PM PST
Chris... says:
Divine weapons are good for the Catacombs. I would ditch the Divine route for all other circumstances. What's your faith at? If you get it to 30 you can use the great lightning spear and the sunlight blade miracles and you should be able to cruise. I still find it comical when an overly eager/aggressive invader invades my world thinking he's just going to roll me then he watches me use the sunlight blade miracle on my sword and goes into defense/retreat mode. Sunlight blade will work wonders in NG+ against bosses and invaders.

Edit: I guess you wouldn't have access to sunlight blade until later on in NG+ if you don't already have it. So for the beginning of NG+ your focus should be on fully upgrading your pyro glove. For your weapons I would do what RB said and choose the +15 normal route over the max divine route.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:46:40 PM PST
Sars says:
When i got my plat i had 50 faith and lik 27 str. i used the man serpent sword fully upgraded then used sunlight blade and dark moon blade to buff my weopons. that darkmoon blade will tear some stuff up.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 6:50:17 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Alright, ran back down to the tunnel leading to blighttown, killed off the three big dudes in the tunnel, started climbing down ladders and fighting wasps (or whatever they are). The screen started acting a little wonky and a wasp that was under the platform I was on was able to poison me while another bigger one was shooting something at me (poison cloud or something). Died on the fourth platform going down. Now I will contemplate this tonight and have the weekend after work tomorrow to head back again and see what there is to see (there was also a really big critter that fell off the second platform when I struck it and another that looked like it was squirming into or out of the wall across the way. So anyway, picked up a dung heap/pile/whatever, but nothing else really happened in my playthrough today. Now to get a little Persona 4 in for the rest of the evening.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:49:39 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
Peter, Blightown is famous for lag. Be careful with those wasps, a good bow or crossbow is your best friend when you're heading down to the bottom. Also, make sure you have plenty of purple moss and purple blooming moss. About halfway down you will encounter some dart-shooting a-holes who can toxify you in a heartbeat.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  822
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions