Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U gamepad

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 3, 2013 7:09:52 AM PDT
Junkiiiii says:
If this was indeed an intentional necrobump then well played. Answering an old question and not just deleting the comment.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2013 6:52:44 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
I failed to notice, as well. Damn necrobumper.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2013 6:50:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2013 6:56:31 AM PDT
Cyberphobia says:
Hah, I didn't even notice the date of this thread when I started reading it. I saw Daft talking about his Wii and needing to wait until Christmas to open it and I was thinking, man, that's some early gift shopping.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2013 6:38:21 AM PDT
Junkiiiii says:
Why'd you respond to a thread from Dec of last year?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2013 5:04:05 AM PDT
WeScYdE says:
It also goes into a low power saving mode on the cradle i watched it do this when i was downloading the update the other day

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2013 4:29:10 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
Precisely.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2013 8:40:43 PM PDT
This pauses the video and after you turn off the screen you are left at the screen to turn the screen off. You have to turn the screen back on to start the video again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:48:28 PM PST
We don't all own AV systems. I don't even own a television.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:26:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:26:17 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Haha, yeah basically.

I suppose there are people who want to watch a movie with headphones, like late at night when babies are sleeping and such - but how many people are going to look to the Wii U to be there box to do this with?

A headphone extension cord is just a couple dollars. Really, put me in the "tablet + AV system" camp for having a "best of both worlds" setup.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:46:39 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
I know. Seems like he wants it to work like a tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:09:15 PM PST
Keller says:
To each their own but I don't get the point. If I want to watch a movie I watch a movie. If I want to play games I play games.... I get the feeling good sir you agree? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:07:57 PM PST
Keller says:
Well stated my friend. Great post. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:07:09 PM PST
That's a terrible comparison. The "Nintablet" isn't even a tablet, it's a controller but with other functionalities.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 4:23:59 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
So the goal is to watch a movie on the big TV using headphones and browsing the internet and posting all of this to Facebook?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 4:21:16 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
That sounds like a lot of work to use this as a remote.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 4:04:44 PM PST
Good think the nintablet isn't trying to be a tablet, it's trying to be a video game game controller. It does a really good job at that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:11:04 PM PST
Yep, precisely right. I just found this setting the other night when we were watching some Amazon streaming videos. Before, we were just doing what Daft suggested.

Really handy feature and good to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 1:22:10 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
Nexus 7 is a pretty good tablet. A better tablet than the Nintablet could be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:37:37 AM PST
I am assuming that the company has departments and teams, and that the programmers who work on the games are not the same people as the programmers who work on the entertainment features. What the entertainment team decides to do does not detract from the gaming team.

Doing something like adding a volume slider, that should take approximately ONE DAY worth of work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:54:14 PM PST
I'm not looking down on anyone expressing ideas, it's how those ideas are expressed that are coming across wrong. If you have ideas, great. I'll grant that adding additional functionality to the Nintablet is an admirable future goal. Before they start making their console into what the other 2 are(making their consoles more of entertainment centers with the occasional gaming feature thrown our way), let them get the VG side down first. I would rather them brainstorm and work on creating a good online footprint for gaming with others across the country before they start looking at how the tablet can be used to make surfing sites or such easier.

I fear that MS has cursed the industry by trying to make consoles more like PC's where people now expect for their home console to have multiple purposes. That's a personal pet peeve of mine concerning this industry. I would think that it is obvious that Nintendo isn't focused on this, as their new console doesn't even support bluray playback, and I applaud them for it.

You are correct in that eventually the Wii U will be hacked, and almost every true Nintendo fan will lose on that day because Nintendo will start losing more money than they are already losing because of selling the console at a loss. Let Sony or MS fold and it would be upsetting. If Nintendo goes away, that will be one of the first signs to me that this industry will be d00med.

Let Nintendo just be a gaming console. We already have MS and Sony to fight over which console gets HSN or Oprah channel. I don't only long for the olden days where a console was there to play a game on, I long for the day when the companies realize that video games are what moves their video game consoles off of the shelves and into our homes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:29:14 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:06:47 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:49:44 PM PST
What's wrong with wanting people to program things for maximum convenience? Isn't that their job? I write software, and I make it so the users can best get what they want done. I don't specialize it for what I need excessively. Companies like Apple try to tell you what you want. I know what I want, and I prefer communities who let people customize things to the way they want. Nintendo wants a closed system, where you can't really change it. So we are dependent on what Nintendo decides to do.

Nintendo has a chance here to reinvent the remote control, reinvent how people watch TV. They can't waste it. Every little feature is a deciding feature for somebody. Better stuff means more sales, more profits.

Imagine if there are two airlines that both offer nonstop flights to where you want to go for the same price, because one likes to pricematch the other. How do you chose? You chose based on little details, like flight times, baggage policies, snacks, amenities, credit card miles, and many other details. On one particular occasion certain details may be important to you. On another occasion, completely different details may be important to you. Variables might even be correlated. Maybe you have a choice of two airports, but different airlines are available at the different airports. So you have to balance airlines preference with airport preference, and that preference might change on a trip by trip basis.

The point here is that spending 100 or 200 employee hours developing a feature, might just lead to more sales, enough to make it worth it. If someone is trying to decide to get a Wii U or get something else, ultimately, it's all going to boil down to one feature. The pros and cons will balance out and come down to one thing. Nintendo doesn't know what the one thing is for everyone, so it's best to make as many things as possible. It's best to be as different as possible from the rest of the competition. Nintendo is in the unique position of selling a powerful set top-box and a semi-portable device in the same product. Apple, Microsoft, Sony, everyone else, makes the customer buy two separate products for that. Its buy an iPad AND an Apple TV vs. buy just a Wii U. Nintendo can't waste their dominant hardware position by refusing to make adequate software.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:10:13 PM PST
RJMacReady says:

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:27:16 PM PST
Another good thing about the Wii U, I can hook headphones up to the gamepad, and switch to them in less than a second. A bluray player can't do that. If I want to hook headphones up to my bluray, I have to get up, and sit very close to the speakers. Even if I got some wireless headphones, they probably wouldn't come with a remote control that would allow me to choose speakers or headphones from my bed.

I have enough hardware already, I don't want to buy more. I just want Nintendo to program their console very well.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions