Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: I Dare You to find an Assault Weapon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 141 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:23:32 AM PST
I guess I'm not really aware of a lot of gun technology. The rifle I used I had to physically pull back the bolt to eject the brass.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:23:47 AM PST
Agreed.

I do think we need stricter regulations when screening for firearms purchases. Maybe a background check on the entire home instead of the purchaser?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:24:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:26:22 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I would think my point was fairly obvious... attempting to outright ban something that's ingrained in our culture is not only an impossible task, it's one that could potentially create even more problems, crime, and violence.

Also, your initial posts were a bit vague. It did appear you were talking about banning all firearms, not just the ill-defined category of assault weapons.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:24:38 AM PST
That would be bolt-action. Most firearms used are semi-automatic these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:26:11 AM PST
FOGE says:
Haha so you know why 55 is too slow then! :) I was driving across the entire state of Indiana last night. 65-70 mph most of the trip. I struggle with the city traffic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:27:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:28:52 AM PST
"I'm not saying semi-automatic rifles are something civilians need to own... "

just curious, but when did the first 10 amendments to the constitution change to the Bill of Needs?

all the other examples from the OP are explosives and not firearms, and regulated under different statutes than guns. a better example would be automatic weapons.

also why did all the news outlets all the sudden change the tune that he was carrying the AR when all LEO's said it was found in the car. all the murders were done with handguns.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:27:41 AM PST
Yerp. At least half my commute is on the highway every morning. I just have to watch out for the 3-4 speed traps they set daily.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:28:37 AM PST
FOGE says:
Thats called a bolt-action rifle. Those are ancient. Most modern rifles use the gas from the round being fired to push the bolt back, ejecting the brass, then putting the next round in the chamber. All in one action. Some hunters still use bolt action of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:28:47 AM PST
Coffee says:
And I am all for actually enforcing the regulations we have in place already.

All I ever hear on the news about this is "assault rifle this" and "assasult rifle that," and honestly, find those sorts of discussions completely moot. Making these sorts of weapons impossible to obtain won't stop things like Sandy Hook from happening: it'll just change which weapon is used.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:29:52 AM PST
I don't think Emu is attacking owning semi-autos. He doesn't feel the need for people to own them, which is his opinion. I like them for target practice and .22's were always used to take out vermin growing up.

The second part of his post was the important part:

"but they're really only involved in a small percentage of gun crime, despite all the media hype."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:30:09 AM PST
FOGE says:
Indiana has some of the most laxed cops. Its nice after living in Illinois when I got pulled over going 3 over, having a light out on my license plate (how the eff would I know) and for having my brights on. That last one isnt even illegal!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:30:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:31:06 AM PST
look on the other thread about violent video games. Some of the same posters saying we should ban some weapons based on cosmetic differences are decrying that people want to regulate violent video games.

it's all fun and games until your hobbies are the ones being stomped on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:30:36 AM PST
"also why did all the news outlets all the sudden change the tune that he was carrying the AR when all LEO's said it was found in the car. all the murders were done with handguns."

According to the coroner, all the murders were done with the rifle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:31:06 AM PST
FOGE says:
Everytime I hear them say "ban AUTOMATIC rifles" on the radio I scream "SEMI AUTOMATIC!!!"

So many of the people crying bans are clueless to what they are banning.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:31:35 AM PST
I think it's illegal in Ohio to drive with your brights on if there is oncoming traffic or a car in front of you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:32:42 AM PST
yup. I was just pointing out that need has nothing to do with the price of tea in china. I don't necessarily agree or disagree.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:35:04 AM PST
I could be wrong. it has happened before, but my feeling is, it would be hard for him to use it when it was in his car. my thoughts are this is being misrepresented by media, to fuel the "ban guns" sensationalism.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:35:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 8:36:42 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Nuclear/Biological weapon - thousand-millions kills per 1 bomb
Automatic weapon - 1-10/10's of people, maybe a hundred. If we are talking 1 guy doing something catastrophic in a populated area.
Semi-Auto weapon - 1-10/10's of people as well, assuming he has a good shot

So comparing the two are extremely on opposite polls.

I know what people are going to say, "Killing is killing, no matter the number." Which is true. But try to take weapons away from bearing Americans and you will have an impeachment or to be drastic, a civil war. End of discussion.

I personally don't own a gun and never want to. I am more of a finesse knife type. But I understand that you can't take it away from citizens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:35:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:20:05 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
And just because I don't think people need to have them doesn't mean I think it should be illegal to buy them. I own tons of crap I don't need.

I have a friend with an AR-15 and I've shot it at a range. It's fun. But for self-defense and hunting, there are more effective tools.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:39:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 9:20:52 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Many of the leaked details in the early reports on Friday seem to be false, including the one about the rifle being in the murderer's car and not on his person. Updated reports state that he used a Bushmaster AR-15 inside the school.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:39:43 AM PST
That's what I thought as well.

Anyone have access to the police report? Is it public record?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:40:05 AM PST
FOGE says:
There was a cop on a side street. I didnt see him. No one was on the road.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:40:24 AM PST
*unzips pants*

Well that was easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:40:49 AM PST
I thought civilians couldn't own 30 round mags?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:41:38 AM PST
Do you ever watch Moonshiners? The one dude took down a boar with a bolt action rifle. Crazy shot, the boar was charging another animal.

I prefer a 12-gauge for home defense and a 9mm for personal defense.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  141
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions