Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I don't have mixed feelings about The Walking Dead

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 7:45:55 PM PST
Yeah.

I just finished playing chapter 5 and I loved this "interactive movie". Game of the year? Not really, since this is not what we could call a game. But it definetely deserves some kind of award.

When I played Journey, I was left with a "did I just waste 2 hours of my life?" taste.

When I played The Walking Dead, I walked away with a smile on my face, like when you leave the theater after watching a good movie, or when you close that awesome book after reading the last page.

In any case, I'm glad I played both games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:10:21 PM PST
Have you ever played a Point and Click adventure game before? Walking Dead stays true to those roots and also manages to do something most games struggle with; letting the player develop a real emotional bond with the in-game characters. Most characters didn't fall into typical roles of being the useless kid or the annoying sidekick, they all had depth to them and felt like actual people (in most cases). Decisions rarely had a clear cut right and wrong response as well which, when coupled up with the time limit on making a decision, really adds a sense of real life pressure when you're making calls.

Sure there were points where I face palmed at what the game was asking me (the big decision in the drug store for instance) but in most cases I found myself torn between doing what I wanted, doing what I thought was right, and doing what was best for Clem.

The Walking Dead is easily my game of the year because it made me care about the characters, sucked me into the role of Lee, and I shed some man tears during the finale. It may not have been the most interactive experience in terms of games but it was definitely an experience that couldn't be had in any other form of entertainment which brings the audience that much into the experience and I say this as someone who has been reading The Walking Dead comics since they first released.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:15:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 8:15:58 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
Discworld was the jam!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:16:54 PM PST
Sadly I haven't played that one. =(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:23:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 8:24:34 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
There was two of them and they were based on on some books written by Terry Pratchett. Really funny and full of adult humor. Harry potter ripped off a lot stuff from the books.

It's about 7 min in before the gameplay starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a_6v8HM9cA

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:27:12 PM PST
Anthony says:
aren't there like a hundred books in the discworld series? they're WAY down on my to-read list, that i might get around to reading some day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:40:31 PM PST
I had no clue this was for the original Playstation which is why I've never played it. Was it ever ported to PC? I checked GOG and didn't find it which is a bummer. Looks pretty damn awesome and makes me wish I had played through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:54:23 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
Yeah, It's on PC also. I'm looking for a good download but it if you find one first please share it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:03:21 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
You're right. Discworld is huge and has spawned a bunch of books and a few movies. Terry Pratchet is the man.

Here's a some links to some of the movies.

Hogfather

The Color of Magic

Terry Pratchett: Going Postal

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread, Rami.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:30:12 PM PST
I'll let you know if I find anything but chances are with something this old I doubt we'll find much, especially something that runs on newer OS's which is a let down. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that GOG.com picks it up soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:52:31 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:16 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:08:15 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I want to like The Walking Dead, but the fact that it's gaining popularity and winning awards makes it harder for me to like it. I'm a gamer on the internet. I'm not allowed to like things that people like.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:52:18 AM PST
Carlito says:
Who is this 'we' you're speaking for!? The MAJORITY of gamers do consider this a game. Man, what is with this subset of pretenious donks who think anyone cares about their 'definition' of what a game is? I'm truely glad no one is knocking on your door asking you to define 'games' because clearly what you consider a game is pretty shallow and inclusive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:22:06 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
zzzzzzzz

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:35:29 AM PST
I really don't get this whole "it's not really a game" thing. Adventure games haven't been considered not games in the past so why is this one different?

Perhaps it's just that there are a ton of people who play videogames now that missed out on the entire run of Sierra/Lucasarts adventure games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:39:28 AM PST
T. E. Maddox says:
"When I played The Walking Dead, I walked away with a smile on my face"

Can't say that I was smiling at the end of Chapter 5. I loved the game and the story is great but that ending left me emotionally spent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:41:55 AM PST
Your last statement is a sad reality. I <3'd some Sierra back in the day.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:48:41 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
King's Quest brah

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:50:03 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Those were so great.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:53:32 AM PST
If The Walking Dead made you smile, you're a scary person and I don't want you on my team when the zombie apocalypse happens!

It is awesome though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa6c5d648)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions