Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Astro A40: Is it Still One of the Best?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 29, 2012 5:13:40 PM PST
GamerInHeart says:
*** UPDATE ***

Hello, this is D-Day1944 with an update.

Sadly, I will have to cancel my planned discussion: :"Turtle Beach XP400, Tritton Warhead, and Astro A50: All-Star Wireless Headset Battle Royale!" It seems that I do not have enough time to review them. However, I will be open for reviews, comparisons, and "vs." topics you would like to talk about. If you have any ideas, please tell me, and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 1:16:36 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
***UPDATE***

Hello, this is D-Day1944 here with an update. My planned discussion:"Turtle Beach XP400, Tritton Warhead, and Astro A50: All-Star Wireless Headset Battle Royale!" , is having some issues. I am wondering what type of music would be a sufficient test for all three. Everything else is ready and I will have the discussion this week. Please let me know what your music choices are.

Thank you, again, this is D-Day1944, checking out.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 6:54:02 AM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
@ Kirk

Thank you for your input. I am not sure about what you mean by me struggling to be objective, but what I can say is that you are right regarding the price of the Warheads. Personally, I would sell them for $199.99 so that it could have out sold the A50 and XP500, not to mention give it a chance since both of those headsets are Cross-Compatible with other consoles. As for your second question, I sadly do not have Xbox Live. I have been using Black Ops local Combat Training for 3D Audio Positioning. I am to get it soon though. As for my discussion:

"Turtle Beach XP400, Astro A50, and Tritton Warhead: All Star Wireless Battle Royale"

It seems that I have hit snags in my writing, though I will have the discussion up today. Thank you for reading this discussion, and I hope to see you in the next one! :)

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 3:21:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2012 3:23:03 PM PDT
Kirk Travel says:
@D-Day'44
Just read your review, or opinion rather as you put it last. It made me smile a bit- heheh. :]

I think you struggle to be objective, but no one person could completely stop having any opinions. So, the comparisons you made we're made well within reason. Far better than that of your average 30% of Xbox Live Gamers- that make "apples to oranges" speeches and bluntly use negative stereotypes about others on a daily basis around your age for a few poultry laughs at you or another own expense. Humankind is so far from being "perfect". However, I rate you review 88% of 100% B+ Fantastic!

I've used the Tritton Warheads personally for a month now and believe that they were worth the initial 300$ tag, I just hope they decrease the price eventually. One should hope they would anyway.

Also! I think you might fit into a community of mine. That is, if your interested? :]
Young, minority admission is rare. keep that in mind, most folks are older than 18 there. They are all polite to one another and usually play everything and anything made for mainstream Geeks aka the "Core" Gamer from the Magnavox and Atari to the 360 and your PC. If you'd like send me an email:

un li mi ted 14 @ Gm ail .com (without spaces)
subject: D-Day1944@RM

From there I can give you my GT and stuff you need, including any answers to questions. I'll be back!

*also: tag was 'C. Bourgeau' I had just decided to change it.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 7:30:31 AM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
Still, I want to give people the best each headset has to offer. Although, I do appreciate your input. :)

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 10:08:32 PM PDT
Os Money says:
i have the warheads too, def nice over my a30's b/c of the no cables part, but sound quality still goes to the astros in my book.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 5:37:38 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
***Update***

Hello, this is D-Day1944 with an update.

My discussion "Turtle Beach XP400, Tritton Warhead, and Astro A50: All Star Wireless Headset Battle Royale is due next saturday. Again, for those of you wanting to read this, my sincerest apologizes. I have been very busy with school, and it butchers my schedule. Thankfully, for those of you who have waited paitently will be rewarded. I will do the very best I can with my next discussion.

Well, thank you for reading! I will try to get a link about my HDMI Cable discussion or tell you which product to look for.

Again, thank you for reading, and this has been D-Day1944:

Deploying for combat.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 1:02:36 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
***UPDATE***

Hello, this is D-Day1944 here with an update.

As you may have known, my planned discussion "Astro A50, Turtle Beach XP500 and Tritton Warhead: Wireless All-Star Battle Royale" has been post-poned due to the educational system. I will give you more discussions but the aforementioned one is put on the backburner for now. In the meantime, my next discussion will be in electronics. It's title is called:

HDMI Cables, what they are not telling you

Well, this has been D-Day1944. Again, sincerest apologizes to those of you who wanted to see the Battle Royale, but I will have that one in a week. Most likely though, the HDMI Discussion will be in the Electronics forum tonight. What does it mean by "what they are not telling you?" The answer will come soon, so stay tuned! :)

This has been D-Day1944. Thank you for reading and hope to see you in my next discussion.

Unitl next time, this is D-Day1944, deploying for combat.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 5:48:42 PM PDT
Just joking with ya. Don't mean any harm. :)

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 5:39:18 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
:0!!
Lying is not what I am about. I am 15, and I make no secret about it. That is besides the point, but I do thank you for reading my discussion

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 4:46:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 4:47:17 PM PDT
Such a polite 15 year old. We don't have that too much anymore in this day and age. Unless, of course your pretending to be 15....are you?

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 4:42:29 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
Alright, Everyone! Just wanted to announce the Warhead Review is here! I know many of you have been waiting paitently, and it has finally paid off. Happy Reading!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 5:18:06 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
@ Bourgeau

Thank you for the critisims! :) Although, I do have a good bit of knowlegde of headphones, but not in the way I want it to be. Sadly, I do not have a PC or PS3, so I have been stuck typing on my Wii and using my Xbox 360 for tests. As for the Tritton Warhead, I received it 3 days ago and I will have my review on it next week. I normally write out my reviews, make corrections, then try to add humor (emphasis on "try") You are right about me being able to rate them better, though. This post is not what I had thought it be. In fact, originally, I did have a ratings scale, and explained why they were rated as such, but my wii froze. Again, though, thank you for your critisim! :) I will implement a ratings system in my next post after my review of the Warhead, but most likely the ratings will be at the end of what my opinions are of them, how they sounded, and if it is worth the price tag. These things and more will appear, so stay tuned! :)

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 1:35:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2012 1:41:22 PM PDT
Kirk Travel says:
@OP for someone at 15 and little knowledge I found your article to be good (not great but good), the only flaw is you might want to consider a rating scale for each category based on each headset's own performance. I would also like to see if your able to post results on; if each Console is able to be fully taken advantage of. Then do results on how each did with your PC and post your PC specs for the tests used. Then Compare ratings! :]

I'm just an Intermediate Home Audiophile. While I might prefer my big home setup over any headset or headphone, the purpose of Headsets for what I use them is- purely Communication. I hold no loyalty to anything brand wise, except Quality. If any company does Quality well enough I think its Senn's 360-PC for PC and for my X360, Tritton's Warhead. Which the Warhead came out this last 6th only on Gameshark.com at 300 USD, retail priced.

Also to answer your post, I do think Astro and other companies such as Turtle Beach only want money over handing out the best quality possible. Granted any company probably does as its their goal to do so, most likely. So yes the A40's I feel are getting milked, rather than being updated/R&D often as new ideas in tech come out. I have had all the headsets out there including all of the Astros and what I have for each platform is a different headset due to 3rd party companies trying to multitask their products over specializing them for each individual platform, aka PC or a specific Console.

I try to look for the headsets that out-perform on each platform and so far I haven't found one I'd recommend for the PS3 yet, due to the PS3 utilizing Bluetooth tech for this and some headsets are wired and made with another platform in mind over PS3. There are indeed 1st party sets out there, to which I've tried and I'm disappointed with. Although my dismay with the PS3 right now is because of a number of things, including the sets not being dedicated or specialized for PS3 only use. I'm currently testing sets for my PS3 and will tell more about it another time, elsewhere. No need to be sidetracked. I'm looking forward to your future review on the Tritton Warhead, I already found it to be what I wanted for specific use with my 360 and I'm loving it. The new Tritton set is set to be about 270 USD retail later on this year and you can add up to four 5.8hz wireless headsets on the single base-station included, along with some other very new key features like SVM. I'll be back, thanks! :]

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 11:16:54 AM PDT
Sweet. I guess the mixamp and 2 headsets are going to be my next 3 purchases. And I dont do any gaming tournments anymore. I dont have the time to play as much as I use to before I got married. I only get maybe an hour or two a night. Plus now my wife is like she wants a baby, so even that is about to be taken from me. She already finds it weird that I buy like a game a week with no time to play. My backlog is huge, but that is another post.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 10:29:39 AM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
That is true, but you will lose dedicated team communication since the Wireless 5.8 cannot daisychain. Although I debut that Christopher will be in an MLG enviornment. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 10:16:42 AM PDT
Jon says:
The wireless mixamp allows you to have two receivers hooked up.

Posted on Aug 15, 2012 5:02:45 AM PDT
D-Day,

For 15 you really helped me out. I am trying to get into the audio side of things for gaming since my neighbors complained about me having my speakers up too loud. I bought a pair of PX5's off of craigslist last year for 90(I think they were stolen since they were like such a discount and were in box, but that is another conversation), but I keep on wondering if I would have purchased another brand. I was thinking about picking up a pair of Astros, but I didn't know which ones to try first. I am highly interested in having the ability to use two headphones at once since that would give me and my wife the ability to listen to surround sound during movies and the times she watches me play games. I believe I read somewhere that the mixamp gives you that ability as long as you purchase two headsets.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:33:04 PM PDT
Headphones all the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 9:14:39 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
@ got mayo

Thank you again! :) Sadly though, my last bit of money was spent on the Tritton Warhead a week ago, so I am out of money, but I will check out these sources to see what I need to improve on in the future regardless. Again, thank you for reading this discussion, and hope you will join my next one. If you like this, check out my previous discussion

Gaming Headsets or Headphones for Gaming?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 7:15:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 7:21:26 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
You are a good sport and well spoken for 15. Knowing that, i actually appreciate the effort you are putting forth here in your sampling.

My advice to you, as it seems you are smitten by the audio side of things, is find a good pair of bookshelves that you can use for some stereo reference and start building a collection of reference music. At your age, it would be a fun thing to experiment building your own bookshelves too with raw drivers, crossovers and all. It will give you good experience in the world of audio how a transducer behaves and how it is a function of its installation parameters. Once you build your own reference based on tangibles, you'll be able to approach these consumer products with a more discerning ear and critique.

If you ever have the scratch or some project money, you could give it a try:
www.partsexpress.com
www.madisound.com

You can start with something as cheap as some Dayton or Vifas as a starter project. Beware, you will be hooked.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 6:31:56 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
@ Jon

I already have them. If you read at the bottom of the post, I am already writing up a post involving the A50. Seeing as it is that many people want to get the Warhead, I decided to do a "Battle Royale" to see which of the three are the "Best." What do I mean by "Best" you might ask? Well, the answer will come soon, so stay tuned! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 6:27:43 PM PDT
GamerInHeart says:
On the subjet of controlled testing, each was tested during the day, in a cool room temperature, and I am well aware of many of your very well valid points. My testing was extensive, and each trial was done carefully. I have tried out many other audio solutions other than the Astro A40, but I can respect the fact that your are more in the audio field than I am. I am only 15, so I still learning more and more everyday. For a young man who is not in the audio field, I would have to say I have done alright. Your comment on gaming headsets sounding bad I also agree with. I usually use one of Beyerdynamic's headphones or Sennheiser's. Gaming Headset's are too foucsed on mids and highs, and they do not present the full sound-stage. I just wanted to post on what I believe to be a fully, unbiased opinion. At the end of the day, this is just my opinion, and I appreciate your critisim! :) On your note about your ears being greater than mine, not to be rude but, I really do not care. That was not my intention upon typing this post. It was to explain "does the A40 still have enough sound to be one of the best Gaming Headset's?", despite being a four year old headset, believe me got mayo, if this was a comparison to the Sennheiser HD595, the A40's would not stand a chance. Again, I appreciate your critisim, and appreciate you reading my post! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 3:12:07 PM PDT
Word.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 2:23:04 PM PDT
Jon says:
Are you going to get the A50 and do a comparison?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Aug 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions