Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: The Trolley Situation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 1:35:13 PM PST
I'm pretty sure those who have studied ethics or philosophy are familiar with this. So, if you hand your hands on fate, and were to decide the life's of the people on the tracks, what would you do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:36:07 PM PST
What?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:36:22 PM PST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:39:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:41:04 PM PST
Ah, right.

Not to be an A, but 'had your hands on fate' and 'decide the lives of the people'.

Personally, it all depends on the situation. There are some variables where I would be more likely to push the poor guy over the edge to stop the trolley, but I think more often than not I'm not going to do anything.

Sucks to be the five people I guess, but they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:41:08 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Shoot the hostage.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:41:09 PM PST
I'm exhausted, so my grammar and writing as a whole is really bad right now.

Come to think of it, how the hell do I phrase what I am trying to say? Argh, I hate it when I get writer's block.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:43:31 PM PST
And most importantly, get to da choppa.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:43:50 PM PST
Ice King says:
I love this variation:

"As before, a trolley is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you - your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five. Should you proceed?"

If the guy's so fat that he can stop a speeding trolley, there's no way you're moving him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:44:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:44:43 PM PST
No worries, I understood what you were referring to as soon as I looked it up. Just some minor adjustments to the sentence.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:44:27 PM PST
He'd have a good chance to survive wouldn't he? All that insulation and cushion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:46:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:50:36 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
It happened with that woman who fell through the sidewalk.

Also, the court of the VGF decided that all fatties are evil, so yeah, you gotta push him.

Edit: Wait. How fat are the people on the tracks?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:46:47 PM PST
The specific analogy matters to me. If it is one person's life or five, I choose killing the one most of the time. Placing a family member or a loved one in the position if the One immedietly reverses the decision.

Or in the case of the doctor with five patients who are going to die due to no-one's fault, I wouldn't take any action.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:49:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:51:18 PM PST
I just don't personally think that an innocent bystander should be sentenced to death by my own actions to save five other people who are standing in line at death's door. In the end I still have blood on my own hands. Otherwise, I have nothing to weigh on my conscience if I don't push him. The thought "what could I have done to save those people" is far outweighed by "I sentenced an innocent to die who would otherwise be alive."

However, that choice would be exponentially difficult to make if I had loved ones in the group of five.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:50:36 PM PST
The question of killing five people over a family member has always troubled me, but to be fair, I think I would most definitely think about saving a loved one over strangers as well. Same goes for a beloved pet over an actual stranger. Of course, having that on my conscious would probably wreck me as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:51:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:51:25 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Imagine if you had to meet the family of the person's life you chose your pet's over.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:52:38 PM PST
That would suck...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:52:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:55:49 PM PST
Push person off tracks or pick up dog and stand aside....

Tough choice.

However, having no personal feelings towards the stranger would probably sway me towards the pet as well. Love is a battlefield, man.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:53:01 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
i'd jump, instead of pushing the stranger.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:54:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 1:54:19 PM PST
What if you aren't big enough to stop the trolley, but you know without a shadow of a doubt that the stranger is?

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:54:34 PM PST
I push strangers onto tracks just for fun all the time. KERSPLAT! Hilarious!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:56:02 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Hey there's a video game for that.

http://www.pippinbarr.com/games/trolleyproblem/TrolleyProblem.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:57:00 PM PST
If I'm not big enough to stop the trolley but that guy is, I'm probably also not big enough to push him over. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:57:56 PM PST
What if he had very skinny legs and was walking near the edge?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:58:56 PM PST
Take out the knees and roll them. It's really quite easy. Really, it's almost like some of you have never killed anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 1:59:52 PM PST
What gave it away?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions