Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Another reason why you should take reviews with a grain of salt

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2013 5:19:53 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
We all know about the publisher drama and "bribes" and whatever the internet comes up with. But there is ONE thing that is persistent and is always present in video game reviews but big websites: The fact that the reviewer never bought the game in the first place.
As a consumer, I'd expect my $60 to be worth the purchase and get some quality entertainment from the game. On the other hand, the reviewer received a free copy of said game and probably never had big expectations from it, since they didn't spend a dime to buy it. They also never have buyers remorse, which is a common thing among gamers. They can give a game a huge score just because they can, and because they are reviewing a product they played for FREE.

Just my thoughts on the matter :)

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:24:12 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Personally, I wish reviews CAME with salt. Mm. Salt.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:37:47 AM PST
Coffee says:
Eh, you may have a valid point when it comes to the everyday Joe type reviews you see on Youtube and such, but keep in mind these reviewes are (supposidly) professional critics. An analogy for you: food and restaurant critics don't purchase their meals either when they're working, yet you'll find some of the nastiest and vile words spewed about in some of those reviews.

It's also just the opinion of a few people. As Abe Lincon once said, "Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one."

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:39:51 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Who the hell pays $60 for games?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:42:12 AM PST
FOGE says:
I wish reviews came with salt and a lime... and tequila.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:42:34 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Mm. Good review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:43:40 AM PST
Uninformed gamers and parents.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:51:07 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Thanks Capt, some people just forget the world doesn't revolve around them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 5:51:44 AM PST
While they may not of paid for the game I bet as someone who got into the gaming press and makes their living in that field they probably have a lot of expectations for games.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:52:34 AM PST
Chris... says:
It is impossible for a reviewer to give an objective opinion on a product if he/she did not pay for it.

It's on the Internet so it must be true.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:56:53 AM PST
I wish each review came with a free copy of the game. That way, I'd be able to play the game as they did and see if I agree.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:00:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 6:01:29 AM PST
"It is impossible for a reviewer to give an objective opinion.."

Well, this part is true (inasmuch as a reviewer is performing their job) regardless of money spent.

Reviewing something without having purchased it should produce the most 'genuine' opinion though, seeing as how the reviewer has no other attachments to the product. Keep in mind also - $60 to a broke SOB isn't going to be the same as $60 to the well paid reviewer...This could cause a wild influx in opinion depending on the reviewers yearly income.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:37:29 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
"Reviewing something without having purchased it should produce the most 'genuine' opinion though, seeing as how the reviewer has no other attachments to the product."

Agreed. I actually tried to convince people that the NES "Top Gun" was better than the NES "Contra" back in the day because Contra was sold out when I finally went to buy it - and I bought Top Gun instead.

Game was terrible - but I tried to convince others (and myself) that it was a good game because I had dropped $50 on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:39:30 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Do not incite the fury of our god, Metacritic.

THE META HAS SPOKEN!

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:41:08 AM PST
"Reviewing something without having purchased it should produce the most 'genuine' opinion though, seeing as how the reviewer has no other attachments to the product."

Pretty much this. I think Ni No Kuni is probably still a good game though, so the PS3 is ahead in good exclusives for the year so you should be safe, GateKeeper.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:42:30 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I'm trying to watch my sodium intake so I probably should just avoid them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:54:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 6:57:08 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
It's a lieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:55:51 AM PST
Shh, we're all playing a part here. Remember? We hate each other?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:56:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 7:04:53 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
bollocks, I'm sorry
... I hate you punkk!!! *long distance kick*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:57:20 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
These reviews are making me thirsty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:58:13 AM PST
Whew! We almost destroyed the carefully crafted world that is the VGF. We fight here and then we all go to my porch and drink 40's after work.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:58:45 AM PST
So, what the OP is saying is that reviews are margaritas?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions