Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Why all the toxicity towards new posters?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 254 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:02:43 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I remember a point when it wasn't -quite- so hostile to newcomers. I think if it had been I probably wouldn't have stuck around. Of course, I also hear that before that time period where I showed up it was a little more hostile.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:04:17 AM PST
I joined in summer of 10, was pretty hostile then, but that depends on the person too, some people blend better than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:04:32 AM PST
Looking at them they don't seem much harsher than any of us are to each other. I mean it's still an internet forum and as such you often have to wait through a few unhelpful posts to get to something useful, which did happen within a relatively low number of posts.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:05:01 AM PST
John McClane says:
The problem is the VGF thinks it's clever, when none of you are.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:05:19 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I try not to be a idkc to new posters unless they start off rude themselves, but I've seen a lot of cases where we get "genuine questions" from people who turn out to be alts of old posters trolling us. Fool me once and all that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:06:07 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Yeah, I come on here during the weekend, only a few of us do from the week. I try not to post because I feel out of place. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:06:14 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I was summer of 09 and it was okay. The VGF was just starting to lose a set of oldschool trolls. You came in at the height of RMS' insanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:06:37 AM PST
Ice King says:
It's not just new posters we're mean to, we all get it.
I've had several posts of mine mocked, it's just what happens here. I actually take it as a compliment when I see that someone went out of their way to make a parody of something I said.

We might get a little rude at times, but this is still one of the best video game forums I've been to. That's either saying something good about this place or awful about the internet.
Probably the second one.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:06:42 AM PST
FOGE says:
Its the initiation period. YOu have to be tough enough to survive the trials of the VGF to be deemed worthy.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:07:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 7:07:53 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
I came into the Great Arguments of 2011 period. January of 2011, when Creme argued with anyone and his way; especially NYCGreg.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:07:55 AM PST
I go with an innocent until proven approach. If we are conditioning trolls to have to ask legit questions of which people actually would be curious of the answer just to be noticed aren't we winning?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:08:37 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Hah, that's certainly one way of looking at it.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:09:28 AM PST
I've been here way too long. What happened to Creme anyways?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:10:49 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:44 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:10:52 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Banned, a few times I think.

He hangs out in the facebook group occasionally.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:11:03 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Feelings were hurt, guns were fired, men died.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:15:11 AM PST
Worthy? Spending money on Amazon makes you "worthy" of using their forums. The forum community should be more welcoming to help build growth.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:15:39 AM PST
I think he was kidding too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:16:16 AM PST
He and I had some good battles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:17:49 AM PST
FOGE says:
Not all growth is good. And not all who speak are worthy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:18:24 AM PST
LogJam says:
Hippie

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:19:51 AM PST
SMH says:
If I ever come here on the weekend, it is just to post in a sports-related thread that was started during the week. So I miss all the other stuff that seems to go on around here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:21:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 7:23:51 AM PST
Ice King says:
Creme is what got me here initially as well. I came to talk about the Kinect needing a lot of space and he went off on me. I wasn't even being insulting or saying that the Kinect sucked, just that the way my room was set up I didn't have six feet in front of the TV.
The next several pages consisted of him telling me that if I'm too poor to afford a bigger house/apartment then I shouldn't be getting a Kinect anyway and me trying to explain that my living room was very big, but there was only one wall I could mount the TV on and that was a small space.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:22:12 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
He just needed help, not a goody two shoes lesson about how to play the game the way that you play the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 7:22:22 AM PST
Soulshine says:
The past two days were the weekend - I don't have a working knowledge of what goes down around here on the weekends. But I remember welcoming a new guy last week in the weekend gaming thread (I think).

My theory: during the week we're at work (which sucks) so it's easier to be nice to newbs, if only for the promise of increased VGF activity to keep us entertained. During the weekends we are free and happy, so the VGF is still there but it isn't the escape to paradise that it is on the other 5 days.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  254
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions