Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Bioware Finally Reveals Female Turians...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 68 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:02:19 PM PST
P-Nasty says:
Can you have sex with it in the DLC? My Shepard has a bucket list of banging every species in the galaxy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:02:37 PM PST
K Archer says:
When I hear the words "less prominent crest" I think of a crest that is a little shorter; not pretty much absent, and not that most of the face is really different.

Yeah, having subtle differences would have been better; not knowing if "random Taurian #462" is a male or female probably would fit better in their culture and all. Not this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:03:25 PM PST
K Archer says:
Not that they're all female...I can't remember what they're called. Remember the Asari that when they mate they kill their partner?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:06:05 PM PST
That's sort of what I was expecting to happen, to find out that some (or even a good portion) of the Turians you've encountered were actually female. It would have been a nice little twist if they referenced someone you had encountered before but referred to them as "she" instead of "he", especially regarding the battle on the moon over their home world.

I wonder if they are going to try to explain why up until now, three games into this, we haven't seen a female before.

@ K. Archer

I feel like this is a play to appeal to female gamers honestly. At least based on what I'm seeing in the screenshots it doesn't seem like they are going to for the hot female alien approach. I hope it doesn't become that because it would really go against how the Turians are. Appearance doesn't seem to matter much to them they way it does with humans so suddenly having that aspect smashed in our faces would be extremely off putting in my opinion.

I get trying to appeal to female gamers and I'm all for seeing more female roles in video games as long as it feels natural, if that makes sense. For example how they brought in the female Krogan and got into that aspect of their culture. It didn't feel like they were introducing her just to say they had a female Krogan, she played a huge role in the story and had a massive impact on the Krogan culture as their world changed. That is how it should be done, not added in like some sort of after thought.

I'm picturing a group of people sitting around in a meeting trying to come up with some sort of hook for the new DLC and this is what they came up with.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:14:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:16:10 PM PST
K Archer says:
I personally don't really like this female Taurian design; like I said its too human-like in some features (should be a lot more like the now-male Taurians), but I'm still going to think its a little of both reasons (maybe more on the 'girl-gamers' reason, but still, its just got that little bit of appeal for men too IMO)

IMO, for something like this to be added for us would be more like a slap in the face...we have the strong female Shepherd, the Salarians have females held in honor (right? never really got into their lore) and then there's the Asari. There's also the strong female NPCs that are out there too. I will agree that this seems to be another hook to get people interested in the DLC, whatever their target audience for this may be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:22:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:31:47 PM PST
DVvM says:
Those are the Ardat-Yakshi. The games sort of imply that this is a mutation brought on by a form of inbreeding depression, which is why Asari mating with other Asari is perceived as a mild taboo.

Though you'd think "sometimes this results in soul-eating monsters" to bring about a taboo that transcends "minor."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:22:11 PM PST
Well as a male who generally goes for females (at least that's my track record thus far) I'm not seeing much in terms of sex appeal for what has been posted. I do agree that the face does look more human than the male Turians and I wish they looked more like the males though. The females almost seem to be without a crest at all instead of just having a smaller one.

We know the Krogan hold their females in high regard, especially now that the Genophange has been lifted and I believe the Salarians have high respect for their females as well because the ratio difference between the genders.

Could there be some sort of segregation among Turians based on gender?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:24:38 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, there could be some sort of segregation among Turians based on gender, but this is sort of undermined by the fact that Garrus has served about a Turian military ship with at least one female soldier ("she had flexibility.")

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:26:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:26:38 PM PST
K Archer says:
That's what I was referring to. Maybe this female-type has something along those lines (mutation that has physical symptoms as well and hidden negative ones), or is the result of some form of isolation/experimentation/interbreeding with another race (or something)

@Keji "Could there be some sort of segregation among Turians based on gender?"
I hope not...I don't recall anything about it in the codex entries (instead it being about the race as a whole, not just half of it) so if there is...they pretty much have to re-write a lot of stuff on the Taurians, or make up some excuse for this. EDIT: And yeah, I remember that dialog too DVvM...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:30:42 PM PST
DVvM says:
It would especially be sort of weird to retcon that Turians have some sort of self-imposed sexual segregation going on, since the moral of the "I had reach" story seems to be "Turians are pretty chill when it comes to sexual politics sorts of things."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:32:31 PM PST
Oh yea I had forgotten about that little story of his lol. Oh how I miss you Garrus... ;-;

My only regret was I didn't get to actually watch Jack die...

@ K. Archer

I don't know a whole lot about the back story of each race so I wasn't sure if there was something there I might have missed. It hasn't even been a year since I sat down and basically beat Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3 back to back to back lol. I'm just trying to think of way that this would work without it being a jarring experience suddenly having females dropped into the Turian race and having them be this different.

Or maybe the one we're seeing here is just one that happens to be quite a bit different? Maybe most females look more male and this is the one they are choosing to show off so people get an idea before the DLC releases?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:35:41 PM PST
DVvM says:
If you fail to save Grisshom Academy in time, you have to kill Jack yourself when you assault the Cerberus base (she becomes a named Phantom.)

Similarly you have to kill Legion in the Cerberus base if you sold him to TIM in ME2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:40:54 PM PST
Oh I know about that, I was talking about the suicide mission in Mass Effect 2 though. I lead Jack into what I was hoping was her death only to have Garrus die instead because Shepard decided to stop to save Jack (she was the only member of my crew not loyal despite having done her side mission and I sided against her, basically my Shepard couldn't stand her) and left Garrus for dead. Then in the cut scene after getting the door open for the group that was pinned down she was just dead on the floor so I didn't get the satisfaction of watching her die after losing one of my best friends in the game.

At least with Ashley I got to cut her off the moment she opened her mouth and told her she was being left to die lol. That's what happens when you shoot Wrex in the back!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:34:33 AM PST
In this one's fanfic, female Hanar are totally sexy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:44:54 AM PST
But are the Ardat-Yakshi are EXTREMELY rare. In the last several centuries, there have been a total of three, and all have the same mother. They were presumably more numerous when the Asari were contained to one planet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:47:31 AM PST
I didn't know either of these facts. Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 7:54:32 AM PST
K Archer says:
I can't remember, but in ME3, wasn't there something about them being more common now then people realize?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:14:46 AM PST
R. Typo says:
The body odor is thick in this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:30:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:31:57 AM PST
What is this website?

A girls guide... wait... Guest is a girl?!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:05:16 AM PST
DVvM says:
Yeah, I imagine that there was much more public backlash against Asari prone to creating Ardat-Yakshi back when they couldn't get off planet. Though, Asari got off-planet early compared to their galactic peers, and with thousand year lifespans the "we need to propagate the species out of necessity" thing is less urgent.

So imagine it was once a big deal, the problem was largely solved, and no nobody really thinks about it.

Though, I think there were more than 3 Ardat-Yakshi over the past couple centuries. Samara had three daughters who turned out Ardat-Yakshi, but there were quite a few more at the Monastery in ME3 (just dead, or "now Banshees".)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:18:13 AM PST
LogJam says:
Too much....nerd...happening....Must not.....pass out.....from...overwhelming urge....to give......wedgies

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:24:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 11:30:43 AM PST
.............Well.....I'm off to rule 34 now....

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:29:34 AM PST
Looks cool.

Maybe not as cool as this from the same website though: http://www.themarysue.com/disney-princesses-as-sith-warriors/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:34:26 AM PST
Sith Ariel.........Oh gawd.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:35:25 AM PST
Yar. This just turned my childhood upside down.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions