Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

ZombiU - 4.5/10

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 193 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:58:01 AM PST
Zak Iarih says:
Was afraid of this

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:58:02 AM PST
This review is pretty bad in my opinion because this guy sounds like he doesn't understand survival horror. Right out the gate he complains about playing recklessly will get you killed (what survival horror game doesn't kill you when you play recklessly?).

"Zombies can move as fast as the player (the zombies aren't easy to get away from, makes them hard to deal with in groups and are therefore SCARY = what a horror game should do, make you worried about being hurt)

Zombies don't go down easy (you have to put effort into killing zombies. games like left 4 dead have conditioned people into thinking that zombies are harmless unless they're twice the size of the player)

The reviewer stopped using weapons that weren't the pistol and the cricket bat because he was afraid of losing the others (The reviewer was being cautious due to fear of losing his weapons = a hallmark of quality horror game design, the fear of losing progress. To deal with this, he decided to play the game in a boring yet safe manner, then complained that he wasn't having fun.)"

That's a quote I pulled from Gamestop which sums up a few things rather nicely. The reviewer also makes it known he wanted more of a shooter experience when he starts drooling over the multiplayer. Also why is it a bad thing that ZombiU punishes you in death if you can't retrieve your bag (you lose your items) but in games like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls losing all your souls (your currency, ability to level up, and so on) is considered good?

Now a few of his complaints make sense to me and I can see why. Tapping on stuff to interact is just dumb in my opinion and shouldn't be there. How the main NPC doesn't recognize new characters as being new definitely pulls you out of the moment. Stuff like that I can see detracting from the experience but most of his complaints seem geared towards he wanted a shooter and basically stuck to using the starting weapons instead of playing the game it was meant to be played.

If I go tearing through Dark Souls I'm going to get my ass handed to me every time. Does that make Dark Souls a bad game? No but according to this guy not being able to play recklessly is a detracting factor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:04:08 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Maxwell McGee doesn't work for the AU branch, it was simply posted there first. Does it sound like he's from Australia? Of course not. He lives in Cali.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:05:38 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
How can a game be "survival horror" when you can stand there for 5 minutes whacking a zombie over the head with a weapon and it doesn't do jack squat? Doesn't seem like a survival game to me at all. Not very threatening.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:07:42 AM PST
DVvM says:
I would think you qualify more as "survival horror" when the monsters are difficult or costly to defeat.

I mean, the essence of horror is disempowerment, so a game which is basically "dynasty warriors with zombies" couldn't qualify as horror at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:09:33 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
true that, but survival horror games usually don't throw waves of enemies at you, or if they do they should at least be easily escaped; in ZombiU, that is not the case apparently.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:11:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:11:50 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
A braindead zombie doesn't exactly terrify me. If they're just going to stand there and take it, where's the horror in that?

You'd think the zombie would try to reach out, grab you, tackle you, bite you, not just stand there like the A.I. scripters were just brought in their first day out of Full Sail.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:12:23 AM PST
DVvM says:
Well, it depends how they do it. If there are tons of zombies in a place as a sort of gating mechanism a la "stay away from here" that's fine.

If hordes of zombies are darn near everywhere, then that's not so well designed.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:12:27 AM PST
For some reason it says Epic Mickey 2 in the URL but it leads to ZombiU.

http://m.au.gamespot.com/epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/reviews/epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two-review-6400225

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:13:19 AM PST
So basically we have some stupid zombies here, huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:16:41 AM PST
"I mean, the essence of horror is disempowerment, so a game which is basically "dynasty warriors with zombies" couldn't qualify as horror at all."

This right here, also when the guy says he is using the starting weapon (the cricket bat) all the time because he leaves everything else at the safe house so he doesn't lose it I tend to question how hard the zombies really are.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:19:08 AM PST
Definitely doesn't sound up to par with Left 4 Dead that's almost certain.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:20:36 AM PST
Why does every zombie game make you magically immune to the virus? I would like to see what a dev could do if it added a chance to become infected when successfully bitten. They could give some type of innoculation that would decrease the rate of symptoms that you experience, with the ultimate goal at the end being to find a cure so you don't become the walking dead. Make it start out with you and your family being woken up in the early morning hours by glass breaking with a zombie trying to enter your house. You have to try to protect your family(your child/spouse can become infected if they are attacked just as you can), and get to a safer area. Hopefully, with the next gen around the corner, we can get more story-driven zombie games with good AI.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:22:04 AM PST
The other one reads Call of Duty Black Ops 2 zombies or something like that for the written review. Not sure what is going on with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:23:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:24:28 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Tomorrow, though I guess that's obvious since it couldn't be any later than that. IGN has had a Nov. 18 date set for publishing most of their Wii U games for a while now, so I'm sure that's the embargo date for most everything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:23:07 AM PST
This was never meant to compete with Left 4 Dead though. Some of the complaints about the how the game plays would be like complaining Gran Turismo or Forza 4 don't play like Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:24:31 AM PST
Gomb says:
Wow this game looks garbage, especially when you compare it to Day-Z (Arma 2 mod made by amateurs) which is supposedly having a stand-alone version going up for sale this month or next.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:27:31 AM PST
K Archer says:
How was it marketed though? Was it marketed to compete with games like Left 4 Dead, or as a survival horror game?
I honestly haven't paid any attention to it, since I'm not getting a Wii-U for...I have no clue how long (probably a few years).
But if it was marketed as a competitor to one game/genre, then you can compare them since they already did...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:28:33 AM PST
Mel says:
dreamcast

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:33:40 AM PST
Hey, it got the same score as Resident Evil 6. Which means that the game isn't that bad. It's most likely a decent title that just isn't COD or Halo. Gamespot review withstanding ZombieU is going to sell a lot of copies because "Zombies are so hot, right now." Most people don't read, know, or even listen to game reviews. I'm more likely to trust a review from an Amazon buyer than GameStop, IGN, and et al. The only ones who care about reivewers are game nerds who need scores to troll fanboys.

Besides, the reviewer said that the local multiplayer mode was fun. For some people that's worth the $59.99 price tag. Otherwise how can you explain the popularity of FPS that are short on single player but long on multiplayer? But yet those games always get a 9.0 score from GameSpot, IGN, and et al.

For as long as I can remember, the launch games have always been so-so. Outside of a Nintendo 1st party title, most of the titles I brought at launch I would have never brought at any other time. Those titles were fun, just because I was playing them on a new system. End of story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:33:48 AM PST
It was marketed as a survival horror and during all the previews I've seen (I paid close attention to this one, I've been wanting a zombie game like this since Dead Island) talked about how death would punish you, the slower pace of combat because you can and will die if you try to rush through things. This was never billed as a fast paced shooter and the previews even talk about how having a few bullets can feel like a god send when you're up against a horde of zombies.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:38:03 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:39:55 AM PST
K Archer says:
Gotcha. Guess its just some people who were hoping for a game like L4D then

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:42:03 AM PST
All I know about the gameplay for ZombiU is what I played at the Wii U Experience. This guy has obviously spent more time playing it and has seen much more of it than me. However, from my experience with the game I am wondering if he just tried to blast his way through like CoD Zombies, died a lot, kept losing his bullets and got stuck with the cricket bat.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:42:35 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:56:03 AM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  193
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions