Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony Wants to Push Nintendo Out of the Console Business

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 54 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:45:22 PM PST
" Sony isn't trying to push Nintendo out of the market the way they did with SEGA. They are trying to find themselves a good foothold in the market and they are taking inspiration from Nintendo because clearly their tactics leading up to now haven't been working out the best."

Say rather that Sony tried the same tactics against Nintendo that they did against Sega and it wasn't nearly as effective this time. Sega thrashed its reputation with gamers and there were massive conflicts between Sega of Japan and Sega of America. Nintendo is much more focused.

Sony's problem is they are fighting two different wars in two different regions. The 3DS is causing headaches for Sony in Japan while the 360 is doing the same in the US. Europe is Sony's strongest region for video games but it's not enough. Sony responds with things like Move and Wonderbook and Cross Buy and Plus and hopes something will stick.

I suspect there is tension between SCEA and SCEE & SCEJ. I'm not even certain that SCEA likes the Vita. If Microsoft or Nintendo or one of these rumored newcomers wanted to damage Sony they'll target the Vita. It's already weakened and it apparently features heavily into the next PlayStation home console (hence that Circle of Life thing.) That is simply where Sony is most vulnerable.

In my opinion Sony has too much internal housecleaning to be concerned about taking out Nintendo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:48:15 PM PST
"Gamers shouldn't want anybody to push anybody else out of the console business. "

even if they blow and should be naturally selected out of the console gene pool?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:54:09 PM PST
Good points on SEGA, they definitely shot themselves in the foot on the build up to the Dreamcast and while that was a great system too much damage had been done with gamers and developers alike to right that ship. It is interesting to note though that the Dreamcast held on for a number of years in Japan after it was killed off in the NA and European markets.

Nintendo has already targeted the Vita and is hammering away at it with each release. Locking down Monster Hunter was a massive blow to Sony, just look at the 3DS jump in sales last week in Japan because they released a new Monster Hunter bundle. While Sony is struggling to find the right developers for their IPs on the Vita Nintendo is sending their best at the 3DS to develop their main titles. Just look at who developed Uncharted: Golden Abyss and then look at who developed Super Mario 3D Land. That right there is a clear sign that Nintendo isn't messing around when it comes to the portable market.

Now I believe Nintendo has something of an uphill battle ahead of them in the long term for the Wii-U. They've got to convince third party developers to stick with their platform and they've got to convince gamers that the Wii-U isn't going to be left behind like the Wii was. This is no easy task however if there was ever a company up for that challenge I believe it is Nintendo. The 3DS has taken off, it's a hit now, and unless Nintendo suddenly drops the ball I don't see things slowing down there.

I think Microsoft is going to struggle more next generation than anyone is expecting them too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:55:13 PM PST
DVvM says:
If something is bad, then just don't buy it and if enough other people agree with you, it will sort itself out over time.

The Philips CD-i, the 3DO, the Apple-Bandai Pippin, etc. didn't go away because people wanted them to go away, they went away because nobody wanted them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:56:51 PM PST
How quickly we forget N64 and GG...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:03:33 PM PST
What was wrong with the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube? Both had some truly great games and did well in their own right though not nearly what Nintendo had done before with the NES and SNES.

I don't see systems like the 3D0, CD-i, Pippin, Ngage, and others sporting gems or having any sort impact on the gaming world like the Nintendo 64 and Gamecube did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:13:14 PM PST
Anthony says:
the article title is misleading. and if the writer of the article actually thinks this will be happening anytime soon then they are delusional. nintendo is here to stay. honestly, given their respective profit margins, sony's far more likely to go under than nintendo.

oh, and before anyone says i'm a nintendo fanboy, the last nintendo console i owned was the N64.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:26:42 PM PST
Anthony says:
i remember going down to a local pizza place at least twice a month with my brother and our friends, paying for the buffet, gorging ourselves on as much pizza as we could eat, then spending a few hours playing games in the little arcade they had until we ran out of quarters. this was in the mid-to-late 90's. my favorite game there was a Simpsons game, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:31:43 PM PST
Anthony says:
I don't think nintendo has ANYTHING to worry about when it comes to the 3DS. they've been the reigning king of handhelds since the original gameboy, and i don't see that changing anytime soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:35:33 PM PST
The Vita has serious potential to knock the 3DS off it's throne but I think at this point Sony basically squandered it and gave the 3DS too much of a lead to come back and bury it. This is sad to me because the Vita is actually a really nice piece of hardware that just needs some work done to the OS and some more support being thrown behind it. I was actually worried about what the Vita would do to Nintendo when it released.

I doubt the Vita is going to stay down for much longer though, there are a number of great upcoming games and I think next year it will find it's footing in the market. Chances are the Vita is going to end up like the PSP, a success in its own right but compared to what Nintendo does it'll be crushed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:51:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:51:38 PM PST
Anthony says:
i do agree with that. it will be successful, just not as successful as the 3DS, just like the PSP and DS. it may have some impressive hardware, but that doesn't really help when you've got **** for games. not to mention overpriced systems and overpriced propietary memory cards.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:04:39 PM PST
I. Flores says:
>>honestly, given their respective profit margins, sony's far more likely to go under than nintendo.>>

The 3DS is being sold at a slim profit, since the price Nintendo forecasted their earnings with has been drastically slashed, and was sold at a loss for many months.
The WiiU will be sold at a loss since day one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:05:33 PM PST
I've got a feeling a Vita redesign is in the works which is going to take care of the memory card issues by including storage on the device. Price is definitely a big factor holding the Vita back right now. There are a few games out there that people would buy but the price of entry is too high for what is currently being offered. Stuff like Cross Buy helps but all you're really doing is giving someone two copies of the same game. What Sony needs to focus on is delivering experiences that can only be had on the Vita instead of making people wonder why they need to spend around $300 just to get the ability to play what they already can on their PS3.

That's one thing I think that really helps out Nintendo's handhelds is they keep the titles there exclusive and rarely do you see the same thing release on a Nintendo handheld that released on a Nintendo console. Sony has always tried to treat their handhelds like it is a portable console and I think that works against them at the end of the day.l

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:06:15 PM PST
I. Flores says:
>>not to mention overpriced systems<<

How can something that's being sold at a loss can be considered overpriced?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:14:08 PM PST
Anthony says:
because its still too expensive for most people?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:14:09 PM PST
Because what you get for the price you pay doesn't quite match up. You spend a fair amount of cash for a limited library, limited functionality, and also you're locked into that expensive memory card format which isn't going away anytime soon.

If the Vita had a robust library and all its systems were fully up and running (as in I don't need my PS3 to get access to everything) then I'm sure the thought process of the Vita being overpriced would go right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:16:24 PM PST
The same answer I gave you last time.

If the market considers the price to be too expensive

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 11:19:20 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Expensive=/= overpriced

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:44:57 AM PST
You've gotta be kidding me. Do you read what you type?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:43:51 AM PST
Xavier 7 says:
"It also seems that we had a lot more exclusives in the 90s"

Yup, and the exclusives truly made each console unique. Nintendo had Mario games and Sega had Sonic games.

Nowadays PS3 has COD and Xbox has COD. The only unique thing is Lens of Truth and grass rendering.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:46:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 4:47:03 AM PST
Xavier 7 says:
"I was actually worried about what the Vita would do to Nintendo when it released."

Really? I had no doubt it the 3DS was going to win. The PSP was the precedent of their second place status. Not to mention Sony, as a whole, going into this new handheld race wasn't the same power house it was in 2004/2005 when the PSP came along. However, I was worried for Nintendo when the PSP came out. Sony seemed unstoppable in those days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:49:01 AM PST
Where in my post did I make such a comment? What I was merely pointing out was that DVVVMXVv comment of Nintendo being able/more able to push the competition out of market before someone is able to that to them. Clearly he forgot about N64 and GC and how Sony made those two gens very hard for Nintendo. Nintendo really needed a hit with the Wii and could not afford another failure (3x in a row). Luckily many bought into the gimmick (and price) of the Wii. now everyone has forgotten about the previous two gens failures and now magically Nintendo can not/has never ever done wrong. Lol.

if you want to make reference about impact for those two gens then clearly PS1 and PS2 left a HUGE impact.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:53:33 AM PST
Emily Sedai says:
Speak apparition.... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:31:11 AM PST
When the Vita was building up to release it looked like it had many answers that Nintendo didn't and I was expecting it to hit the ground running and just not let up. Having dual analog sticks and such, in my opinion, does give it something of an edge over the 3DS in terms of appealing to those who haven't really bothered with handheld gaming before where the 3DS I could see people being turned off by. Having stuff like an original Uncharted on the go sounded absolutely amazing and I didn't expect Sony to let the Vita release and then proceed to let it do nothing for nearly a year while making questionable developer choices for their IPs.

@ Naughty Doug

Nintendo also got a little too big for their own good back then and thought they could continue to see the same levels of success while not working with key third party developers. They thought they controlled the market and didn't see Sony as a threat after walking away from their joint project together. Sony then came in and stole some third party support away from Nintendo (like Squaresoft) and managed to find a foot hold in the industry. Things only got worse with Nintendo coming into the Gamecube when Nintendo decided they didn't want to work with certain developers because of their products and that's when they started embracing the whole concept of family friendly gaming. This left the door open for Sony with the likes of Rockstar and what have you which really helped push the PS2 to new heights when it released.

The PS1 and PS2 had a huge impact on the industry but Nintendo also shot themselves in the foot when it came to their relationships with third party developers. Suddenly they had a choice about where to develop and Nintendo stupidly didn't accommodate them like Sony and later on Microsoft were willing to. I'm not forgetting that those were Nintendo's lowest selling consoles that didn't come anywhere near what the original Playstation and PS2 did but they were enough to stay ahead of SEGA and they also had some great games release which are still held in high regard to this day.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:37:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 9:37:31 AM PST
Without having read anything up until now let me guess - Article is writtin by dingus/Sony blowhard who is completely clueless, Flores jumped in still heartbroken over Halo 4 and was unable to maintain the SDF wall of sadness.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  54
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions