Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

ZombiU - 4.5/10

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 193 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:45:56 AM PST
The only time the team ever talked about action and fast paced gameplay was for multiplayer. Every time I saw the game being demoed they stressed that they were going for a survival horror experience but they wanted to use the first person perspective to bring the player into the action more. One of them even talked about Resident Evil and how they thought it would be much more intense being in that character's shoes when a zombie grabs onto them or how much more scary things would be seeing it through their eyes as you run down a street full of zombies instead of doing the third person or bird's eye view. It limits what you can see and forces you to explore more as well which is something the game rewards you for with bonus supplies and other stuff.

Here's a great preview that showcases how the game is meant to be played: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfltWviMqmQ

Yes it is an IGN preview but when you listen to how he talks about the gameplay it becomes clear this wasn't a shooter or Left 4 Dead experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:49:11 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I have the perfect reply for this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ1qXJD76wg

Is is that difficult to accept that this looks like a mediocre game?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 10:50:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:51:49 AM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
There's something very strange about this review. I go to Gamespot - no review, look under Wii U games - no review, go to Gamespot's Youtube page and the video linked in the OP's post is not there. I go to IGN and look at their Wii U review forecast and I see that it's coming on the 18th.

In other words the Embargo is still active. Secondly someone who posted before me said that the video was posted at Gamespot's AU website first. How can that be if the game is still under embargo and doesn't come to Australia for a full 2 weeks from now?

Something smells jank or color me confused.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:52:25 AM PST
When I played it I got killed when I went in weapons blazing. The way I got through was to be methodical. Separate them. Shoot a zombie in the knee and when it falls bash its head in.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:52:44 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:53:37 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:54:37 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:55:37 AM PST
I'm actually a fan of Jim Sterling and know his work quite well. He often makes great points however I do believe that you can play games the wrong way. If I play Forza and decide that I don't want to actually do the race so I flip around and head the wrong way because I want to play the game my own way I remove the ability to complain that I'm not progressing through the game.

Also there's a massive difference between a developer harrassing a reviewer over a score and my pointing out that this guy came into this game with the wrong expectations and didn't play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Keep on trolling though cause you suck at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:59:49 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
"Hmm alright, hmm .. OH, HAHA!"
Ad hominem trigger pulled already? Don't get too sensitive there, amigo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:00:15 AM PST
You've actually played ZombiU? What did you think of your time spent with it?

@ DDustiNN

That's what I'm saying, I'm not saying this game is going to be great (though I hope it is because I'm getting it tomorrow) but I think this reviewer had the wrong mindset for what to expect from this game and how he went about playing through it. There were a number of red flags that made me think this wasn't the game for him and he has no clue what survival horror means.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:03:18 AM PST
user22 says:
What's wrong with mediocrity anyway? Many of my favorite games are generally considered mediocre, with ratings in the 4 to 6 out of 10 range.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:04:16 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:10:59 AM PST
I played for a little over ten minutes which isn't really enough to say much about the game. I had fun with what I did see though.

Let's go back to Arkham Asylum. Remember how in later areas the bad guys had machine guns so if you rushed in to fight one the others would shoot you? You would then make a plan to split them up and take them out quickly. Then there was that one room where the statues were rigged with explosives so you had to move quickly but you still had to make a plan to take out the bad guys.

That was my experience with ZombiU. You might need to get past a zombie and find a door. You have four bullets and you can probably do it but all of a sudden there are three zombies and you need a new plan fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:12:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 11:13:53 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
This is one of the few games people are spending $350-$350 to play, in addition to the cost of the game. Under the right circumstances, I do believe a mediocre game can be enjoyed, as long as the cost to entry is low, which this certainly is not.

For example, I bought a Wii, mostly for Red Steel, as Twilight Princess was also on Gamecube, and I was super disappointed with the game, therefore making me feel like a sucker for buying Wii at launch. However, years later I rebought it for $1.99, mostly just to have it back in the collection, and I enjoyed it as a $2 game. It's still a poor game, though it can be slightly enjoyable for a few bucks, but definitely nothing more.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:18:45 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
"This means luring enemies away one by one and clobbering them with the cricket bat.
And no one zombie, even the faster ones or the armored ones, poses an engaging threat individually. You just stand there, hitting and waiting."

"your time spent fighting will be with the laborious cricket bat. Dispatching enemies this way is as repetitive as it is dull, and does not change throughout the entire campaign."

"In the end, most of your time is spent lazily hitting zombies with cricket bats."

Survival horror!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:21:31 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
That means you're not supporting effort but rather mediocrity, it's as simple as that haha.
If people buy mediocre games, more mediocre games will be made. Overall scores are a good indication of a game's quality, and personal "hidden gems" represent at most 0.0001% of the general consensus.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:24:36 AM PST
Ed Jones says:
Score too low, the reviewer is nitpicky and untrustworthy. Score too high, the reviewer is easy to please and untrustworthy(and possibly receiving money from the publisher). At this point, why even look at reviews if you already made your minds up?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:24:42 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:58 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:31:49 AM PST
L. Brown says:
i keep hearing zombie survival horror but what is the single player story about??

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:32:36 AM PST
DVvM says:
There are zombies. Try not to die.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:34:23 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Sadly, this is no Condemned. The cricket bat is either the only one or one of a select few, aside from the few guns.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:35:51 AM PST
That's pretty cool that you at least got a chance to check it out, I haven't even had a chance to get on one of the demo units yet since both times I've swung in to check it out the unit was either off (early in the day and the employees were too lazy to set up the demos) or there was a bunch of people wanting to try it out.

I can see what you mean with the Arkham Asylum reference as well. That was part of the reason I loved that game so much was how you can plan out your attack before hand and then have something come out of left field that forces you to scramble to adjust your tactics or else you're going to die.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:39:32 AM PST
user22 says:
Wasn't the main problem with Red Steel the poor controls though? Poor controls are going to be a poor experience for everyone.

This ZombiU reviewer seems very nitpicky about certain parts of the gameplay. That doesn't mean the game is not enjoyable, just that it isn't his cup of tea. Survival Horror is somewhat of a niche genre, so I'm not surprised that a game like this doesn't appeal to everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:40:47 AM PST
Actually in the review he says there are plenty of other weapons but he stuck with the starting pistol and cricket bat. I've seen plenty of weapons featured in previews which is why I thought it odd he stuck with the cricket bat only.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:42:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 11:44:02 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
I don't know, as a survival horror fan, I was just bored watching the game. AI looked daft, everything looked very repetitive, environments didn't seem interesting, story doesn't seem to go anywhere, etc. 2005 brought a superior melee-focused survival game with great atmosphere, lighting, etc. with Condemned: Criminal Origins, which reviewed pretty well. Sadly, 7 years later and this doesn't top it. Its one positive is the Demon's/Dark Souls style online system and stuff, but if it's not built around amazing games like Demon's/Dark Souls, what's the point?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:42:36 AM PST
DVvM says:
"I can't seem to beat Nethack, the starting equipment just isn't very good. The tourist only has darts, and eventually you run out!"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x988543d8)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  45
Total posts:  193
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions