Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Have you ever got suckered in by hype...only to realize the game was total crap?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 183 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:38:43 AM PST
I get a lot of flak for saying I don't Like Halo, or Mass Effect, or Dragon's Age etc... but i don't think they are bad games. I just don't like 'em.

Same with FC3.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:39:53 AM PST
G-Money says:
katamari damci....boring as heck

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:41:07 AM PST
This could've been largely averted by a way to select multiple items at once and turn them ALL into omni-gel.

Also, generally speaking in other such games, you can't buy the best gear in the game halfway through, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:41:44 AM PST
Sure. I mean, I actively dislike CoD games, but I recognize that they are well-made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:43:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 11:43:31 AM PST
DVvM says:
I just want to reserve the "total crap" category for dreck like Neverdead, Call of Juarez: the Cartel, Amy, etc.

Goddess help you if you got suckered in on the hype on one of those games. But then again, how did you find hype for Neverdead?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:45:57 AM PST
Good question.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:47:32 AM PST
R. Typo says:
Much like music, I think that games are dependent on the mood of the person at the time of playing it. I have a lot of games that I think are the calf's staff, but don't play all that often because the proper mood needs to strike, candles set, and loins warmed.

But, I do think, as DVD stated, a lot of gamers have difficulty distinguishing between ''I don't like that,'' and ''it's bad.'' A lot of gamers also have difficulty with hygiene, the opposite sex, social situations, and perspective, so I don't suppose it's too surprising.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:55:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 11:55:51 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
But Luvr really likes those games. GOTY!

Edit: And I wanted Neverdead to be good. I really, really did. I just knew it wouldn't be and that made me sad.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:31:49 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 17, 2012 2:38:14 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:00:12 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 17, 2012 3:22:03 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:01:17 PM PST
G. Krein says:
They most likely re the console players that are jealous of the hardware us pc gamers have.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:05:15 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
damn, I wish I could name something but I can't justify them being total crap.
I've been disappointed plenty of times, but I guess the games weren't soooo bad.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:30:44 PM PST
Nicos says:
Not so much industry hype, but I got pretty hyped watching the videos for Test Drive Unlimited 2 and it was a huge letdown. Especially since I loved the original one. Ditto for Homefront.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:42:01 AM PST
Homefront was a big one. It was supposed to be the answer to the same-old Call of Duty rehashes every year, but it got terrible support and they tried to charge for DLC before they fixed it. Asking for more money before delivering a complete product is a sure-fire way to destroy a game.
See Medal of Honor 2010 and Warfighter for more examples of the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:50:02 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Medal of Honor 2010 was actually a really good game though...just a 4 hour campaign isn't worth 60 bucks.

I bought mine for 19.99 new and never regretted the purchase.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:55:33 AM PST
Halo 4. Everyone said it's great and amazing and while I agree it's fun, The interface is horrible and annoying. The gameplay just isn't as fun as it used to be. Maybe because there is a huge reliance on buffs or perks.

It's funny because, my friends talked down Black Ops 2 and it's the game I'm having the most fun in multiplayer on at the moment. And it always used to be vice versa. I love both franchises altogether, but Halo 4 is not the game of the year so many make it out to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:04:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:04:24 AM PST
I don't disagree that the campaign was great, if short. For $20 it would have been perfect. Instead, it was one of the earlier games on the PC that came out at $60. And multiplayer was done in a different engine by a different team, had weak/non-existent anti-cheat (people could teleport you into the sky and get credit for kills with your entire team "suiciding"), and was dominated by camping snipers and maps with single choke-point designs.

That's one thing Call of Duty gets right on the MP side of things. Most maps have at least three paths, so there is at least the possibility of strategy. If the enemies are gathering at one point to lock it down, you can flank one of the weaker routes. That isn't an option in MoH 2010 on most maps. It results in a stalemate a huge percentage of the time, to the point where people would quit if they weren't on the defending team and able to camp for the win.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:05:54 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
MW3 had horrible maps, Black Ops maps were okay. And there was hardly any support for any COD after COD4. Black Ops 2 nailed it in my opinion.
I didn't play Moh2010 on PC or MP.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:45:46 AM PST
AmmmY says:
The amazon gold box deals.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:51:57 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
Borderlands.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:17:37 AM PST
Did you play the single player? I'm having a ton of fun with it. I could see it as someone's GotY just for the single player. As others have said, surely you don't think the game is total crap just because you don't love it, do you?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:22:29 AM PST
I didn't think the game was total crap, but I regretted my time with Uncharted 2. It was a very high quality game. I like 3d platforming, I like TPS, I like good stories with interesting characters; I should have loved Uncharted 2. It just didn't click for me.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:44:59 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Damn, for all the games that are truly "total crap" and I'm seeing stellar games getting named.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:32:57 PM PST
Home Fried says:
Well for me, it was Grand Theft Auto IV. I like it, but for as much hype as the game got, it didn't fully deliver. I missed total customization of the main character. Still looking forward to GTA V though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:42:51 PM PST
Noble Seven says:
Mass effect is not the worst game ever, Batman Arkham City is the worst game of all time.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  183
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions