Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Former Squaresoft boss calls Square Enix merger a "complete failure" with "no vision"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 8:08:26 PM PST
Chaos Index says:
http://kotaku.com/5958425/former-square-honcho-calls-square-enix-a-complete-failure-with-no-vision

Anyone else agree?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:15:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:25:24 PM PST
user22 says:
I don't even have to read the article to agree with the title 100%

Edit: I just read the article anyway. I still agree with him, but...this guy currently works for Sega? lol! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black....

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:17:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:17:42 PM PST
DVvM says:
I can't really comment on "complete failure". Since some great games were published by Squeenix after the merger. But the "no vision" part is absolutely dead on. This is a company that seems almost entirely lead by a gaggle of small time artists and nobody with a compelling artistic vision.

When they develop a good game in house, it almost feels like they did it by accident.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:18:33 PM PST
aidenraine says:
square and enix merged because both companies were seen as "sinking ships". merging kept them around for 10 more years, and they're still around. I'd say it's been successful so far.

also, the reason for squeenix's current failure is because they do stupid things.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:19:14 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
"former" employee, someone is just jealous..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:56:42 PM PST
DVvM says:
But it seems like they haven't developed anything that was an unqualified success since 2007's TWEWY. More jarringly, they've done quite a bit this generation to damage their biggest brands what with FF13-14 and Dragon Quest X being varying levels of disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:18:31 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
I have heard nothing but good things from FF13-14. But they haven't released much lately and doesn't look any better for the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:35:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 9:36:06 PM PST
DVvM says:
You've heard nothing but good things about FF13 and FF14? Are you even paying attention?

FF14 was so bad they had to stop charging for it so they could redo the entire game!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:37:54 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
Apparently people on this forum are blind or retarded, because they always praise it.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:45:45 PM PST
Anthony says:
i absolutely despised FFXIII. the last good ff game in the main series was FFX.

that is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 8:55:28 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
I thought both XIII and XIII-2 were absolutely awful.

They had polish and amazing visuals, but the actual game part was just poor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 9:27:56 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Nothing but good things about either one? Though 13 has it's fans, there's a MASSIVE contingent of people who have nothing but hate for the game, and I don't think I've -ever- heard a positive thing said about 14.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 9:31:54 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
There was a joke in EGM about how there was still one person playing it but it was because he left his game on. He said he thought he closed he account years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 9:36:06 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 10, 2012 9:37:55 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:44:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 9:53:20 AM PST
I think "lack of vision" sums up SquareEnix quite nicely. They have a stable of great properties that, for the most part, they don't milk nearly as much as they should. HD remakes are easy money and fans love them, but they drag their feet on everything (like releasing a Kingdom Hearts collection without KH2?!). They focus so much money on delivering amazing graphics that they seem to forget that some of their simplest games are the most fun (TWEWY, Chrono Trigger, and the old FF games).

They also seem to have no idea how to distribute their products. They remade Final Fantasy VII on PC with achievements and didn't put in on STEAM. Really? That service should be LOADED with old Final Fantasy games, each one going for ten bucks or more a pop. I know I'd buy every single one again, as would a lot of their fans.

Square needs to hire some young Turks (FF7 reference, lol) to work on creating rich, interesting, but graphically limited turn-based RPGs to sell on the digital market. I hate to say this, but it might be time to take big daddy Final Fantasy in the direction of an action RPG. They want it to have mass-appeal, and they spend a lot of dough on it, so they may as well go Mass Effect style and introduce direct control of all the crazy moves that they love to show off in combat these days.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 9:45:14 AM PST
Came in here fully expecting it to be a necro. Color me surprised. Gotta agree with the guy, ever since they merged Square just hasn't been the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:16:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 11:31:59 AM PST
Anthony says:
I agree. the graphics were about all it had going for it.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:24:48 AM PST
They've managed to get me Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Sleeping Dogs so something is going right over at Square, even if it is just their publishing arm.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:29:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 10:34:28 AM PST
DVvM says:
Deus EX: HR was under development before Square acquired Eidos though (it was Eidos Montreal's first project and the studio opened in 2007), and Sleeping Dogs was almost entirely finished under the aegis of Activision until Activision cancelled the project and Squeenix bought the rights (and changed the title from "True Crime: Hong Kong".)

So they can buy things that are good, sure, but how well does that really reflect on them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:32:53 AM PST
Well at least they can make good purchase decisions then because they need something going for them.

I've pretty much given up on Final Fantasy at this point and after those first couple of months where colors aren't nearly as bright things really aren't that bad.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:37:16 AM PST
They do seem to have an good track record publishing third party stuff. Did you play Just Cause 2, Keji? It's a terrific "blow @#$% up" sandbox game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:43:36 AM PST
I absolutely love Just Cause 2, I've got it on the PS3 and PC actually. Haven't played much of the story because I'm content to just run around doing whatever the hell I feel like. I've been trying to get in on the multiplayer beta for the PC but so far no luck.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:45:03 AM PST
Technosapien says:
I think SE is awesome. My favorite game of all-time is an SE game (FFXII), and I think XIII and XIII-2 are great games that are very worthy of the FF name. And like Keji said; they brought us DE:HR and Sleeping Dogs, 2 of my favorites of this gen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:46:10 AM PST
Wait...there's a story? O_O

Lol. Yeah I haven't touched the stupid story. Something about a dictator, I think. Who cares.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 10:47:06 AM PST
I did just enough of it to get access to the delivery chopper and I was good lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa3208b10)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions