Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

In general, how is the quality of used game discs at GameStop?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 2:55:57 PM PST
Just curious. I'm planning on buying a used game tomorrow.

Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:57:04 PM PST
Never had any issues with the used games I've picked up there so I'd say you are pretty safe. Also I use a wide variety of stores in my area over the past few years and I've bought used games on the 360 and PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:57:23 PM PST
It really depends. Just ask them if you can see the disc first before you buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:58:27 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
I never buy used games so I don't know but I would just make sure you check the game case to make sure they actually put the correct game in it and that it's not scratched to hell.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:58:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 2:59:28 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Is this a real question?

It's a crapshoot. Sometimes they're fine, sometimes you can obviously tell the previous owner thought cases were just for show and not worth the effort. Regardless, you can return the game within 7 days for a full refund if it doesn't work so there's no real reason to worry about it.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:01:20 PM PST
For the prices that Gamestop sells some of their used games I expected at least some better quality of the disc, but of the two used games I bought from them(Medal of Honor/Simpsons game) the scratches on the back of the discs were atrocious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:01:38 PM PST
It is real. I almost never buy used. They sent me a 20% off used game coupon for my birthday so I figured I'd use it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:02:44 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
If they have multiple used copies, you can ask to see them all and pick the one that's in the best shape.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:02:54 PM PST
Don't be afraid to be picky. If you're going to buy it, you've got the right to inspect the merchandise. I do every time I buy used. If the clerk is overly sensitive, he needs a new job.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:02:59 PM PST
Makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:04:39 PM PST
I've also read many times that PS3 games are harder to scratch, not sure how true that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:05:13 PM PST
They're also harder to resurface currently though, keep that in mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:06:08 PM PST
Good way of putting it. Have you ever had problems with that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:06:43 PM PST
That's a good idea. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:11:50 PM PST
Gameresq says:
I have never had a problem with any used games from GameStop

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:17:56 PM PST
Bitchie says:
I've had problems with used DS games, but not with used discs, but I would recommend always looking at the disc before you buy, and make sure you try it out when you get home, so you don't miss the return window. I know their used games are guaranteed for a certain amount of time. Or they used to be, haven't bought any lately.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:21:59 PM PST
Dane says:
Over 7 years of buying used games from Gamestop I have only had a problem with a Gamecube game that I returned a few days later and Halo 3 which I played months after I got it and it doesn't work but I only spent $3 on it so not too bad. Usually they work perfectly and if not just clean them real quick and they should be fine.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:24:39 PM PST
Horowitz says:
Good, because I only accept discs that are in great condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:28:37 PM PST
JWK says:
I've never had a PS3 used disc in anything other than mint condition - including from Gamefly. 360 games from Gamestop are usually in good condition, but I've had to return a couple that were damaged. Gamefly and other rental places you have to be more careful when purchasing used 360 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:29:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 3:31:54 PM PST
For the most part, I find their discs to be mostly unscathed. However, I always buy PS3 games used (I have never purchased a 360 game used), and Blu-Ray discs are made to be much resistant. Make sure you clean them properly. Many of the games I buy used have finger prints all over them.

Having said that, the boxes are usually grimy and dirty. But there's nothing we can really do about that.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:30:51 PM PST
Technosapien says:
If you're buying a used PS3 game then you have nothing to worry about. You really have to go out of your way to scratch those things.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:39:07 PM PST
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will be buying a PS3 game. Just not sure which one yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:53:41 PM PST
LAIR

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:55:15 PM PST
Technosapien says:
Demon's Souls!

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:55:57 PM PST
I've never had any issues with the used games I've purchased from Gamestop. PS3 discs are difficult to scratch to begin with, and GS usually resurfaces Wii and 360 disks if those come in really scratched up. The only potential problem is getting the game complete with original case and manual, but I realize some people don't care about that anyway. It's only a concern if you're the crazy collector type like me. ;-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
People voted in IGN for the best game on each platform. Here are the results: 29 33 seconds ago
PS4 vs. Xbox One -- An unbiased look at which games are currently available on each console 458 54 seconds ago
Forza Horizon 2 Is Out, Who Is Playing? 34 2 minutes ago
OT: Blue is the Warmest Color 9 4 minutes ago
OT: Week 4 of the NFL Season. The season is slowly taking shape while the packers are a shell of their former selves. WHO YA GOT! 216 5 minutes ago
PSVita and emulators 14 5 minutes ago
My impressions of Mordor after around 1 1/2 hours on PC. Hint: It's good. 71 6 minutes ago
OT: White House Breach 23 9 minutes ago
Destiny glitch reveals DLC content partially on disc and locked away until you pay 274 11 minutes ago
OT: Tom Morello Slams Seattle Restaurant After Not Being Treated Special 112 12 minutes ago
The Order: 1886 PS4 Preview - Sony's Soulless Answer to Gears of War 45 16 minutes ago
OT: Beheading in Oklahoma 197 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions