Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What PS2 JRPG should I play?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2013 1:36:06 PM PST
elect Tron says:
I've got three games sitting in my backlog that I haven't played yet. I will probably play one of them sometime this year, most likely in the summer. Which one should I play, and why??

Rogue Galaxy
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Xenosaga

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:37:04 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm hoping that you have already played Dragon Quest VIII?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:37:36 PM PST
Or Final Fantasy X?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:38:41 PM PST
elect Tron says:
Yep played them both right around the time they released. Love both games very much.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:46:06 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
All three are rated very good games. Rogue Galaxy is an Action RPG from Level-5 (Ni No Kuni) and one of my favs. If you want a good Action RPG this is a good place to start.

SMT Digital Devil Saga is from Atlus (Persona series) and is one of the best RPGs I have played in while. I think it gets downplayed a little because everyone loves the Persona series. Pretty dark and has great battles and music. Part of a series so you would definitely want to play DDS 2 as well as just playing the first wouldn't complete your experience.

Xenosaga is a critically acclaimed RPG from Namco that is pretty good, but I hated it for a long time because I was expecting something on the level of Xenogears and it disappointed me. It uses some imagery from Xenogears but it really isn't related. Part of a trilogy. Most people hate Xenosaga 2 and think 3 is the best of the series.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:48:43 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Tales of the Abyss.

Out of those Xenosaga, Did you ever play Xenogears? Saga is by the same dude who did Xenoblade, so hopefully you'll enjoy it, though the gameplay is not nearly as strong as Blade.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:50:39 PM PST
"Rogue Galaxy
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
Xenosaga"

Ok. Here's the breakdown:

Rogue Galaxy is an action-RPG. Story is the lightest of the three you mentioned. Great game, but heavy on dungeon-crawling and grinding.

SMT DDS: Part one of a two-part game. It's a traditional JRPG with a very dark and mature story. I found it harder than your average jRPG, but not as hard as say...SMT Nocturne. It's NOT a Pokemon style game like Persona 3/4 or the various Devil Summoner games.

Xenosaga: Another traditional JRPG with a dark/mature storyline. It's got a great cast of characters and an amazing musical score by Mitsuda. The combat is probably the weakest part of the game for me. The story is part one of three, so you might want to keep that in mind (it doesn't get very far at ALL in game one).

Honestly, I have trouble recommending one of these over the others. If you want action-based combat, definitely go with R.G. Otherwise, I'd probably say Xenosaga. The writing in the first game is phenomenal and some of the individual scenes (Cherenkov's Flashback/Albedo and Momo) are easily amongst the best EVER in video game history.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:52:07 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
"The writing in the first game is phenomenal and some of the individual scenes (Cherenkov's Flashback/Albedo and Momo) are easily amongst the best EVER in video game history."

I just wish the art style matched the tone of the game, after playing Xeno 2 and 3 it's so difficult to go back to the first game with the super-deformed anime style characters; though this shouldn't be a problem playing them in order.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:52:53 PM PST
elect Tron says:
Yep, I bought Xenogears the day it came out and played it back when I was in college. Great game. One of my favorite classic Square JRPGs.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:54:35 PM PST
elect Tron says:
Thanks for the input guys. Right now I'm leaning towards Rogue Galaxy and DDS. Xenosaga looks really good but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to playing the whole trilogy and I hate leaving those types of things unfinished, especially since they share the story arc.

As far as games from the SMT series go, I've only played Persona 3 (which I liked but never finished) and Nocturne (which I didn't care for).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:58:41 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
It's always going to be unfinished because it was supposed to be 6 parts: 4 prequels to Xenogears, Xenogears was the 5th installment and a sequel to Xenogears.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:02:53 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I would have to say DDS plays more like Nocturne than the Persona series. You don't fuse your demons like in those series though. I may be biased, but I would say you should definitely give it a shot even if you didn't care too much for Nocturne.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:05:56 PM PST
Technosapien says:
DDS. One of my favorites!

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:06:13 PM PST
Have you played Shining Force EXA yet? I loved that game.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:11:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 2:12:55 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
DDS, cause I love SMT. Though I loved Nocturne more, DDS is up there as well. I have XenoSaga 1, tried twice and couldn't get into it

Edit: read what you said about Nocturne, if you didn't like Nocturne I doubt you'll like DDS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:16:07 PM PST
True, but the Xenosaga trilogy wraps up the story of the main characters in that trilogy.

"I just wish the art style matched the tone of the game"

Agreed. Shion especially looks really bad. It's not too bad for Momo and Jr., though, because they're "kids"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:26:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 2:27:10 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I would skip out on Xenosaga, truthfully. The voice acting and mo-cap are terrible, the plot is cobbled together nonsense and the level design is crap. The game is a fat lot of wasted potential. They didn't even give the game proper boss music.

The music itself was the highlight of the game for me, being a Mitsuda game, but in the second game they ditched the sound for techno. :/

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:31:57 PM PST
I'd recommend Xenosaga only if you're willing to put about 100 hours in to play through the entire series. As has been stated, the 3rd game is by far the best, and the entire series as a whole has a great story with extensive cutscenes and some pretty good character development. By the 3rd game, you're really attached to your characters, and it's just plain fun seeing how things develop. But as I said, only start it if you're in it for the long haul... leaving it incomplete will leave you feeling "meh" about it all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:32:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 2:33:48 PM PST
Zeno says:
Xenosaga is great. SMT DDS is awesome as well. I'd go for Xenosaga.

I'm partial to anything Xeno. Xenogears is one of my favorites of all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:37:18 PM PST
I loved Rogue Galaxy. Story was pretty standard but the cell-shading and overall mechanics (grinding not-withstanding) was fun. Ending was...ok...typical somewhat unfulfilling ending I've come to expect from newer JRPGs. Played through it several times. Xenosaga's also really good, although you'll want to play through the three games in succession if you manage to get hooked on the first one. Lots of random mysticism in the second and third games. Final bosses will have you scratching your head. Still fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:43:56 PM PST
In Xenosaga ep2 I remember some elements of the story were only revealed through bosses randomly saying them as a "I'm going to use this move now" phrase in a battle lol. You'd only catch it if you stopped to think... wait... what are they actually saying there...

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:50:07 PM PST
I know it's not on your list, but if you like Gundams at all, check out MS Saga. JRPG with Mobile Suits. Kinda cool stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:50:36 PM PST
Xenophobe?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 2:51:29 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
Have to agree with Cheezeman3000. The first game is great on its own but you really need to play all 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 3:00:08 PM PST
Zeno says:
Yeah, pretty much. I remember initially playing the demo of Xenogears that came with I think it was FF8 and just thinking, "Wow, this game is going to rock." and immediately went out and pre-ordered it. The premonition was correct, and after becoming thoroughly engrossed in the game twice I still want to go back and play again.

I haven't really found many RPGs that have come close to the way Xenogears executed it's: Overall flow of the game, soundtrack, and a story that was albeit somewhat contrived/convoluted, very engaging and captivating.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What I played lately: Mega Man Powered Up (PSP) 2 12 minutes ago
PS Plus June 2016 To Include NBA 2K16 And Gone Home 9 20 minutes ago
Weekend gaming 05/27 - 05/29: Obama is the first sitting U.S. president to visit Hiroshima, city destroyed by atomic bomb, gets confused and accidentally visits Wii U R&D section of Nintendo HQ. Says about gaff, "Well, it looks like it was destroyed too." 99 21 minutes ago
What are some methods to take to get a publisher to do a remake or whatever? I want a hd remaster of knights of the old republic, eternal darkness, and dark cloud 1 or 2. 19 29 minutes ago
Apple stock is on its worst slide in nearly 20 years. People are sick of buggy 800-dollar iPhones 10 36 minutes ago
Any Sega Saturn fans/owners here? 52 40 minutes ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 180 42 minutes ago
OT: 10-Foot-Long Snake Slithers Up Man's Toilet and Latches Onto His Penis - for Half an Hour 12 51 minutes ago
Overwatch Master List 48 1 hour ago
OT: Is it just me or does Donald Trump seem like a more genuine person than Hillary Clinton? 117 1 hour ago
Is there any way to find out online player numbers for MP games 2 1 hour ago
OT: What Are You Listening To-2016 Version! 926 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions