Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

One MOBA to rule them all?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 113 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 7:00:35 AM PST
JadedGamer says:
I had a question about MOBAs that I figured deserved an equal smattering of helpful, snarky and OT responses so I figured I'd ask the fine ladies and gents (and gents posing as ladies) of the VGF.

I've been playing Heroes of Order and Chaos on my iPad and have been really enjoying it. I'm not any good, mind you, but want to play more and maybe on a different platform. I've read that LoL's community is semi-noob friendly, but that Dota2 and HoN are not so much. I was thinking about bypassing the "3l1te" MOBA scene and just getting Guardians of Middle Earth when it comes out in a few days. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:15:23 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Whatever you do, stay away from League of Legends, if you treasure your sanity that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:24:29 AM PST
LoL is a really good one to go with next. You can do the F2P to get a handle on it, and then decide if you want to spend anything to unlock stuff.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:40:22 AM PST
Iso says:
League of Legends is fantastic, and we have a solid group of people that can help you out too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:50:36 AM PST
League of Legends is a much better place to start than HoN or Dota2. It's much more new player friendly with it's available tutorials and the option to play matchmaking against a team of AI bots with varying skill levels.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:52:04 AM PST
And to elaborate, you can purchase almost everything in the store including new champions just by playing the game. The only things that require real money are boosters (not needed) and cosmetic skins.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 7:52:47 AM PST
I don't agree with this at all. Since they instituted the Honor system, League's community has gotten MUCH better. They also have a default "mute enemy" setting as well, which helps.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:54:27 AM PST
JadedGamer says:
Well it looks like LoL is the logical next step. I'll have to get signed up. Thanks everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:45:41 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I feel like gaming needs to invent a "Mute Ass Hole" algorithm which can just detect which players are ass holes automatically and mute them when the game starts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:49:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 5:55:19 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
It's up to you. Very often, an overpowered champion is released every 2 weeks, that stays like that for 1 week or so, after the initial sales start declining.
It's how they make money after all, and you need to play a lot if you want to catch up with those new champions. A new champion is 6300IP, and each match (that goes beyond 30 minutes) you WIN earns you around 100IP, so make your calculations.

I mean, someone with 2 years of experience would probably be fine with the cheap-ass champions. But you, as a newcomer to the game? Doubt it.
I don't know if Capt was joking or not, but "just playing the game" is very, very far from what it really is: A grindfest. Unless he uses real money on the game, of course, which wouldn't surprise me, considering how many games he owns on Steam haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:59:02 AM PST
League is by far my favorite.

Dota 2 isn't bad....I just can't get enough of league. The community at my level is actually very tolerable now.

You'll get the occasional whiner or troll but that happens in any online game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:00:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:01:27 AM PST
I don't think it's a grindfest at all. Each day you get a bonus IP boost on a win with a 24 hour cooldown timer. Playing semi-regularly I get about 3000 IP a week and I buy most of the new champs. Right now I have about 13,000 IP and am waiting for the new support champ to release. I own 80% of the champions in the store and have only ever bought one of them with real money. I've also played since the game released.

New champs aren't overpowered, people just don't take the time to learn what they do and don't expect new game mechanics. I play Zed a lot and most of the other players using him are mediocre. He's very hard to play. If you don't understand how to play him you'll be terrible. This goes for any champ. I went 28-3-9 with him when playing with Flawless over the weekend. Not because he's overpowered (I've had better scores with older champions), but because people in that game didn't know how to counter his skill-set.

I hear a lot of people scream "The new champion is so overpowered!" and most of the time it's because people don't know what they're doing. There really is no be-all-end-all champion. There are dozens of them that destroy teams when the opponent feeds them.

Riot makes their money on skins, not champions.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 6:02:36 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
And let's not forget that LoL gives you access to live sex shows.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:03:10 AM PST
I started playing around one month ago and I already have around 20 champions (including 3 which were 6300 IP).

I regularly go positive, in fact, I haven't had over 7 deaths in at least 20-25 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:03:22 AM PST
Wasn't that WoW? LoL had the solo artist. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:05:03 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Well, it's gamer sex, little lipstick on the right hand, then sit on it until it's numb, then go to town!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:13:01 AM PST
"Unless he uses real money on the game, of course, which wouldn't surprise me, considering how many games he owns on Steam haha."

I buy skins once in awhile, but I've only ever bought one champion on release because I hadn't played in awhile and didn't have the IP to get him.

I've had Steam for 6 years. I pick up pretty much everything I own on sale, or I activate it from other digital retailers when I buy through credit and other sales. Not to mention the 8 HIB and such I've picked up. :P I don't own anywhere near as many games as a lot of people I play with.

If league is a grindfest, you're doing it wrong. I play to enjoy the competitive nature of the game and have fun with friends. If you're playing just to "grind up IP", you might as well just join Co-Op vs AI games and just AFK in them until they end or you inevitably get banned for consistently leaving.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:18:20 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
so you DID use real money after all! ;) jk jk
I don't play League anymore. But just like you, I was an early-days player, so IP wasn't really a concern to me. But some people I tried to get into the game suffered from that, because they couldn't play more than 2-3 times a day, and back on those days IP rewards were a little higher.
I'm just putting myself in a newbie's position, it can get quite overwhelming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:26:34 AM PST
I usually only play 1 game a day during the week, if that. If you get the bonuses for things like winning, not leaving a game, and the daily bonus, you can get quite a lot of IP each game.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:04:06 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I want a good MOBA that I can play with a controller, so I hope Guardians is good and gets support. Awesomenauts scratched my itch for a while, but then they ported it to Steam and dropped support for the 360 version since MS makes it such a PITA to patch anything. I could rebuy it on PC, since it isn't particularly expensive, but meh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:05:08 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Madness!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:24:19 AM PST
Can Smite be played with a controller?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:26:28 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I have no idea. Guest sent me a beta invite to that something like a month ago, but I kinda forgot about it and never actually redeemed the key.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:27:02 AM PST
It's kind of like a third person shooter version of a MOBA. I would think you can use a controller for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:27:11 AM PST
Sparta!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  113
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions