Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U approaching Vita sales levels in Japan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 161 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 5:31:50 AM PST
I was just looking over last week's sales numbers in Japan and the Wii U sold less than 21,000 units whereas the Vita sold a bit over 17,000 units. It was a slow week but if you align the launch periods for both Vita and Wii U it looks like this:

http://i5.minus.com/iV26B3jrgAeUT.png

Nintendo left January and half of February empty as far as new Wii U games. I hope that Nintendo is concerned about these numbers.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:44:38 AM PST
To be fair the Wii U has just started in the market give it some time and its sales might go up.Though the Vita has had a year and sales for it haven't been spectacular it's gaining ground in the game market I'm sure the Wii U will too.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:04:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:10:09 AM PST
It should have poor sales, there isn't any software backing the system up. Nintendo also needs to be careful, if the ps4/720 do launch at $350-$400, that could spell trouble. Personally I think the U is going to be a repeat of the N64. Sales will not be anything crazy, but still strong. The game lineup will be thin but top notch. I am perfectly ok with the U being a N64. The N64 did well enough to get continued first/second party support for 5 years and it had some of my all time favorite games. To go a step further, I am not so sure the system doesn't need a price cut. :)

So far the U for me has played out just like the ps3 launch. I bought the system day 1, loved the one game I got (NSMB-U and Resistance) and then it sat for months. Meanwhile I couldn't help but wonder why I bought the system day 1. Nintendo screwed the pooch in NA with no Monster Hunter, Rayman and/or Pikmin 3 at launch (or around launch). The happy ending being I found the time to play Mass Effect finally, superb game. If Nintendo is serious with the U, they need to have some compelling software for this Xmas.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:11:47 AM PST
True enough,I'm sure if the PS4/720 do actually launch with the price tag of $350-400 that Nintendo will do a price cut they know the Wii U won't compete otherwise with the other two systems.Though if the rumors are true and the next-gen consoles for Microsoft and Sony don't allow owners to play used games on their consoles then the Wii U will definitely come out the winner for the next-gen console market sales.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:13:47 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
If I'm arguing that the Vita can still find it's footing and isn't DOOM3D, then I can't say any differently about the U.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:23:46 AM PST
Personally I think Nintendo should release a real Pokemon game on the U and have it work with the 3DS versions, much like Monster Hunter does. Seems to me that might just fix sales overnight. :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:29:27 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:42:28 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
It was about time Nintendo received a reality slap to the face.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:44:27 AM PST
Wouldn't that already have happened with the 3DS and the fact that they had to do a massive price drop very quickly?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:48:14 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Yes, but they never experienced it with the home console (Wii), so they thought the drones would buy their box with almost no decent games on it, just because of the name.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:49:11 AM PST
Ah, "drones" I get it. Nothing to see here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:49:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:50:32 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Only with the 3DS, nintendo got a slap, wiped it off, price slashed the sucker and gave the slapper a Nelson-like laugh.
Not so with the U. Profit margin is real small, if any. Unlike the 3DS, which had a huge markup.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:50:16 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
*imleavingwithyou*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:05:17 AM PST
Nintendo currently makes a profit on the U+one game sold. As production costs are reduced, cutting the price really shouldn't be that hard to do. :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:14:20 AM PST
M. McFly says:
What is with these Japanese companies not getting the GAMES part of the equation? PS3 6 years ago made this pretty clear, yet sony drops Vita and nintendo drops 3ds without much support. How can you miss again on Wii U? Games. Its really not that hard. No games no sales.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:26:42 AM PST
John McClane says:
Haha Flores and Cinema are going to lose sleep over this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:28:15 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
It's not just Japanese companies. EVERY new console launches with limited software. The 360's launch lineup was pretty bare also.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:30:57 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Over what? Do I look like a Nintendo fan?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:32:23 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
That was 7 years ago, Microsoft WILL definitely launch the new box with a Halo game and probably a Gears spinoff.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:33:49 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
All Hardware dropped roughly 60+ percent from last week, the holidays are over...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:35:18 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I'm sure they will, but two must-have games will still lead to everyone crying about "NO GAEMZES!!!!!"

Example: The Vita launched with an Uncharted game, the Wii launched with a full-on Zelda game, and the Wii U with the best Mario game since Super Mario World. Everyone bought those games, but now people want more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:39:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:41:18 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
You're missing the point here, Microsoft's next gen system will have complete 3rd party support, unlike the Wii U.
And I disagree with that Mario statement, are you disregarding the Galaxy games as Mario titles or something?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:45:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 7:46:51 AM PST
We have to agree to disagree there. The 360 launched with Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Kameo. Dead or Alive 4 released a month after launch, while Oblivion was released 4 months after launch. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter also released 4 months after launch. The 360 launch window was pretty stout, IMHO. Plus Burnout Revenge and Rainbow Six Vegas were both within a year. I had no trouble staying busy with my 360 during it's first year. The same wasn't true with the U and ps3. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 7:58:14 AM PST
I. Flores says:
>>The same wasn't true with the U and ps3. :)<<

During it's first year, PS3 already had close to 100 games released.
Seems pretty good to me

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:00:56 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Those were some shoddy ports too.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  161
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions