Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Best video games that you never played.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-148 of 148 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:04:52 PM PST
Solid Sponge says:
?

I played one at Gamestop and loved it! I would buy one but I splurged a few months earlier on a PS3 and I can't bring myself to buy two new consoles in a year.

Oh you're warning him that he will love it and he will develop a "must-have" attitude. Gotcha.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:08:16 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Okami is coming out for Vita? Awesome! Count me in. I can get FF Tactics for it too. I might get Skyward Sword for Wii but I like the older Zelda games with Link to the Past being my favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:08:18 PM PST
Although less like Zelda than Okami, the first Darksiders has a good roots in the old dungeon/overworld/dungeon design of that genre. It's definitely worth a playthrough. I was a little disappointed in the mythology of the series, though. For a premise "borrowed" from the Book of Revelation, it's suspiciously void of Biblical allusion. By part two it's lapsed almost completely into generic dark fantasy world #456478. That's nitpicking, I know. The games are a blast.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:08:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:18:34 PM PST
DVvM says:
Final Fantasy is a hard one, since it tends to be the first JRPG people experienced, so people tend to be overly fond of whichever kind of FF was their first.

I'm not sure if XIII-2 is a great place to start, it's so-so. If you have a DS, the remake of IV is perhaps a better place to start, provided you're not allergic to that sort of game.

If you want to experience one of those "16 bit JRPGs", I would urge you to look up DQV or Chrono Trigger (both of which have DS ports IIRC). If you want to play a Final Fantasy game, you're probably best off being exposed to one of the FF games that still contained more than a fair bit of joy (4, 6, 9 are good choices) than the more modern FFs which are comparatively dour, though spectacular.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:09:00 PM PST
Haha, yeah. I thought it was great. Not pre-ordering now great, but that is largely a result of money rather than any dislike. Is there a Wii-U demo impressions thread? I'll start one later if not.

I mean, I'd pre-order a lot of games and systems if money was no object.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:10:16 PM PST
DVvM says:
Oh, there may not be an Okami HD for the Vita, I misread that. There really should be though. :(

The non-HD version on the Wii is excellent, except for the fact that the motion controls make non-bead weapons frustrating to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:10:50 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I enjoyed Darksiders. For some reason I could not get into the sequel. I put in about 2-3 hours and sent it back to GF. Now I have Xcom, stoked to try that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:15:28 PM PST
DVvM says:
I'm going to try to beat four games from my backlog this November. I'm about halfway through Deus Ex: HR, would Darksiders be a good choice for the next one, or will it take a long time? Zelda games seem to take me FFE.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:28:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:39:01 PM PST
Anthony says:
I can honestly say that i've never played a MGS game yet and don't really have any interest in doing so.

and if you are going to get some final fantasy games, stick with the older ones from the previous generations, or the handheld games. stay as far away from FFXIII and FFXIII-2 as you possibly can.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:16:42 PM PST
Do you like DE: HR? I assume you're doing no kills?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:20:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 2:21:35 PM PST
DVvM says:
I like DE:HR, but it's almost too polished to be fun, if that makes any sense. I also feel compelled to savescum to an almost distressing degree.

I'm going for Pacifist and Foxiest of the Hounds, yes.

The stealth stuff is fun, but the boss fights are as poor and incongruous as advertised.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:29:02 PM PST
Yes they are. The boss in The Missing Link DLC is done much better.

Too polished?

I tried Pacifist but apparently the opening of the game before you get augmented counts against it, too.

I walked around hitting F5 in that game so much. Before every encounter, so I could try again and again until I got it as perfect as I could.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:34:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 2:35:40 PM PST
DVvM says:
I was actually warned about the prologue breaking Pacifist in advance, so I just snuck by all the guards in the tutorial.

Too polished I think is my way of saying that it exists in some sort of uncomfortable region between "super linear" and "open world". It feels like if I deviate from what it intends I do, that I will break something. I would appreciate a little more opportunity to explore and mess around and make mistakes (the fact that you're constantly savescumming sort of reinforces this feeling.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:26:06 PM PST
If it helps, think of each encounter as a puzzle. The savescumming is just restarting the puzzle when you fail.

The game is very narratively linear, however the levels themselves are quite open to exploration and trying different things. I did like that part. The first game was similar. Within the story, you had certain areas or objectives, but within those areas you had multiple ways of overcoming the obstacles. It.
was not open world. You couldn't explore everywhere whenever you wanted to. The individual levels were very open though.

Do you feel that the game would be better as an open world?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:40:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 3:43:17 PM PST
DVvM says:
I don't think that the game necessarily needs to be open world. It just needs to have a somewhat more open world. Having more things to see and do (which are not plot critical) in the various city sequences (Detroit, Hengsha, etc.) would be nice.

The game in general seems intolerant of failure or even deviation from what the game has in mind. This means that it's more stressful than fun to play sometimes.

A little more room for exploration and tolerance for mucking around would have been nice.

I also hate inventory tetris.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:43:14 PM PST
I honestly can't think of a game that I wanted to play and haven't. I don't count games that I own but haven't played yet.

Maybe Stalker on PC?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:52:54 PM PST
Okay, I see what you mean. Jensen can't take but a handful of hits, so any deviation from either extreme stealth or absolute, unwavering violence (the explosive rounds in the revolver are great for this) is pretty much a fail state.

Inventory tetris has its moments, but the only things I REALLY disliked about it was that ammo took up space, and that I could only carry one shotgun at a time. Those things are worth 750 credits! I don't want to sell one, run back, pick up the other one, run back to the shop, and so on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:02:55 PM PST
DVvM says:
I'm honestly mostly doing takedowns and stealth so I use very little ammo and I have nothing to spend credits on beyond Praxis kits. So I don't really mind that I can't carry multiple shotguns.

Still, for lethal guns, where it takes more than one round to incapacitate an enemy, I imagine the ammo taking up inventory space is a pain in the butt. I mean, one 3x2 block holds 200 heavy rifle rounds. But that's a 3x2 block!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:18:05 PM PST
I know there wasn't much to spend money on (and I had a 10,000 credit head start when I played because I got the pre-order bonus, even though I didn't pre-order), but I still LIKE having all the money I can.

The heavy rifle is possibly the biggest waste of space in the game.

Even for my (what I thought was gonna be) nonlethal playthrough, I kept loads of guns and ammo for boss fights. Would you like a tip on what I found to be the best way to kill the bosses?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:25:54 PM PST
DVvM says:
So far I've killed every boss by throwing mines at them. I'm afraid I'm going to run out of mines.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:41:03 PM PST
Taser + spamming Typhoon attacks = quickly defeated boss

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:43:03 PM PST
DVvM says:
I should probably invest in Typhoon then. I'm running out of useful things to spend points on (Hacking: Analyze, Recoil Compensation? Seriously?)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:50:36 PM PST
Let me know how it works for you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions