Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Cavia reunites to create Drakengard 3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 9:00:11 PM PDT
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/12/original-drakengardnier-team-reunites-for-drakengard-3/

"Square Enix brought together team members from the Drakengard series and Nier to make Drakengard 3. The PlayStation 3 sequel has Taro Yoko, the director on Nier and Drakengard, as the director and scenario creator for Drakengard 3.

Kimihiko Fujisaka (Drakengard, The Last Story) is the character designer, Keiichi Okabe is working on the music, and Drakengad producer Takamasa Shiba is the producer of Drakengard 3.

The game will have high speed action, says Famitsu, and just like previous Drakengard titles battles take place on the ground and in the air."

Nier 2 should be next. :)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:04:50 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Hope it's good, I remember the first Drakengard looked/sounded amazing but I wasn't too crazy about it.

I'd definitely buy a Nier 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 9:08:17 PM PDT
Cavia could be a bit spotty in terms of games in the past, but a lot of these people recently worked on Nier at Cavia and The Last Story at AQ Interactive.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 4:25:18 AM PDT
elect Tron says:
Wow! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:27:31 AM PDT
Nicos says:
Oh boy, looking forward to giant evil babies and naked women filling up the sky... IN HD.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:45:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 10:46:11 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
I was always tempted by the Drakengard games because dragons are sweet, but I never took the plunge due to the mixed reviews. Hope it turns out good.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 11:06:09 AM PDT
Awesome news! I never played the first two Drakengard games but I would definitely look into getting the third.

Nier was one of my favorite games this generation so I am definitely excited about this. Nier 2 = orgasm if that came out.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 11:43:07 AM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
Having finished (and now platted) Nier I just don't understand the love for it.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 11:50:05 AM PDT
Drakengard 2 was competent, but not especially good. The one thing it did better than most similar games was volume of enemies--almost approaching a Musou style game--but the gameplay wasn't much less repetitive than a Musou game, either.

Still haven't played the original.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 12:15:02 PM PDT
Godly soundtrack
Great story and characters
Fun boss battles with shmup-style attacks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 12:17:17 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Fun game with a cool story.

It's not my favorite game of all time, but I'd definitely buy a sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 12:22:13 PM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
I agree with the first.
Story - Wasn't that good. Characters - Decent to fairly good.
Boss Battles - Mostly the bullet-hell type attacks were the fun ones.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 12:28:32 PM PDT
This pleases me immensely, as I loved both the Drakengard games and still fire them up to play from time to time. I always recommended them to my friends, provided that I thought they wouldn't be squicked out by the incest/pedo/baby-eating/semi-sorta-not-quite besitiality bits.

The only downside is that I don't have a ps3...I may have to rectify that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 1:04:15 PM PDT
"incest/pedo/baby-eating/semi-sorta-not-quite besitiality bits."

Man, I missed all the good bits by just playing Drakengard 2, didn't I?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 1:26:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 1:33:03 PM PDT
Somewhat, though there is some vague dragon/human shippery in the second one too. All of that in the first is subtext though.... EXTREMELY obvious subtext, but still. It was a lot more explicit in the original Japanese version.

Well, I shouldn't say "all" of it was subtext. Your one companion makes it abundantly clear that she wants to snack on some babies, because reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 2:31:44 PM PDT
Oh, it's extremely obvious by the very end of Drakengard 2, even without any context from the first. But there was no incest (that I could detect), pedo, or baby-consumption in Drakengard 2.

So do you consume the babies _while_ smexing with them, or what?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 2:44:52 PM PDT
It's all in the companions. Without really getting into spoiler territory, one of them is insane with a taste for babies, while another is a pedo who gets particularly flustered when you have a level fighting off child soldiers. For extra fun, your last companion is a kid who is perma 6 years old-ish.

The incest is that, well, the main character's sister wants to bang him. He may or may not be into the idea, depending on your interpretation. By the end of the game, you get the distinct feeling he'd rather get it on with his dragon partner though.

I'll never understand how that game didn't create a media garbagestorm...

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:30:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:23:12 PM PDT
Little more info today. Story details below, and screenshots at the link:

======================================

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/14/drakengard-3-drag-on-dragoon-3s-story-detailed/

"Square Enix announced Drakengard 3, a pleasant surprise since Taro Yoko took a break from game development after Nier. Yoko went on to help Square Enix design monsters for Monster X Dragon and now he's continuing the Drakengard series. Drakengard 3 centers on two characters Zero and her younger sister One.

"In the distant past when darkness swept the world with war and tyranny, Goddesses called "Utatai" saw mankind was suffering and descended on the world. These Goddesses use the magical power of songs to defeat warlords ruling the land. Peace was finally brought to this chaotic world. The Goddesses were worshiped for ending conflict and were entrusted control of the world. They became known as Utahime (divas).

"One, a young Utatai, holds a strong desire to bring peace and balance to the world. She is poised to become unite all the Utatai and stand on the top of the world. One day, One's older sister Zero shows up with a dragon. Zero is also an Utatai and said to be the strongest among them. Why did Zero suddenly show up in front of One? Why did she ally with a dragon? And what in the world are the Utatai? Darkness once again shrouds over the world.

"On top of being a powerful songstress, Zero is also skilled with a sword. Zero is known for having a violent personality and being troublesome. She also has a rather promiscuous personality. Zero has an artificial arm and a flower in her right eye that keeps growing.

"One is the exact opposite of her older sister. She has a strong sense of justice and is known for being rational. One even questions why the Utatai came to this world.

"In Drakengard 3 you play as Zero. Screenshots of the game show Zero sword dancing through enemies and taking to the sky while riding a dragon. When Zero is covered in blood she gets even stronger.

"Drakengard 3 comes out for PlayStation 3 this year. The game is being developed by Lord of Arcana maker Access Games and has the original Drakengard series leads on the title."

========================================

Given that it's Drakengard, I can probably pretty much tell you how the story's going to play out just from that (suffice to say things will end poorly for One). Also kinda sounds like it's a distant history prequel if it's taking place in the same world, but hard to say for sure.

The screenshots are seriously underwhelming, though. Maybe the models and textures are still pretty seriously WIP.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:45:07 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
"Zero has an artificial arm and a flower in her right eye that keeps growing."

Of COURSE she does.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:47:56 AM PDT
Sparhawk says:
Based on that press release: yes, it will be Drakengard. With a side of Bayonetta Stripperiffic, possibly.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:48:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 11:48:21 AM PDT
I hear this is also being developed by Access Games (Spy Fiction, Deadly Premonition), which would explain the poor graphics. But I'm at the point where graphics don't mean all that much to me if the game itself is interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 11:53:36 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
"Why did Zero suddenly show up in front of One?"

I am speechless.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:23:34 PM PDT
Nah, Zero looks way more like Kaine than she does Bayonetta.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:25:25 PM PDT
GyozaSauce says:
They need to release a HD collection of 1-2 before they release 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:37:24 PM PDT
Why?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions