Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Tropes Vs. Women in Videogames has a release date

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 396 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 4:44:24 AM PST
http://www.destructoid.com/tropes-vs-women-in-videogames-has-a-release-date-247574.phtml

Anita Sarkeesian's series starts in March

Jonathan Holmes, Site Mascot
10 hours ago - 8:30 PM on 03.03.2013

Last year, Anita Sarkeesian of the Feminist Frequency blog started a Kickstarter for a video series about the various problematic patterns in the depiction of women in videogames. She achieved her goal, and then some, leading to interviews, support, hate, and disdain, not to mention plenty of analysis of that hate and disdain. Almost over night, more people were talking about the Tropes Vs. Women in Videogames project and it's creator than actual tropes vs. women in videogames.

The complaint about Ms. Sarkeesian that seemed most damning was the charge that she'd taken the money and ran with it. That would have been pretty silly, not to mention career suicide. Well it looks like the naysayers were wrong, at least on that point. The 1st episode of Tropes Vs. Women in Videogames premieres on March 7th. That's just four days from now!

I don't envy the amount of pressure on Ms. Sarkeesian to deliver a series that lives up to the tremendous expectations that have come to surround this project. No matter what she comes out with, some will be sure to attack her not only for her ideas, but for the fact that she didn't deliver them in the exact way they thought that she should. I hope we can do better than to immediately knock her down for what her videos don't say and do, and instead take in what they do have to say with a clear head and no agenda.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:24:47 AM PST
klopas says:
I'll check this out just to see if it is legitimate, or just another case of hatting on men. Hopefully, these vids will stick with the topic and identify issues that are truly problematic. There are many strong female characters in games, so I wonder which recent games in particular will be singled out.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:26:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 5:27:02 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
As fun as a game based on misandry sounds, I think that I'll pass on this one. I'd rather not be preached at by a hairy, smelly, overly opinionated feminist in a video game.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 5:26:15 AM PST
Voice of god says:
March 7 needs to shut and get back in the kitchen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:19:03 PM PST
I've seen a few of her videos. They are hit-or-miss, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:20:49 PM PST
FOGE says:
My GOD!!! Think of the amount of sandwiches that were not made while this series was developed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:23:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 12:27:03 PM PST
I'm sort of nervous about this, but curious all the same. I'm all for bringing light on (and subsequently destroying) negative and two dimensional portrayals of woman, but these type of analysis always have the potential to be based on making relativity absolute. I probably left a few out due to my limited knowledge of sociology.

Also, I do hope the misogynistic comments are tongue in cheek =)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:30:03 PM PST
I just really don't want to see the response from the gaming community. Regardless of however good or bad she is at doing whatever it is she sets out to do it seems like the response to her is just the sad and pathetic misognyistic kind of crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:34:12 PM PST
I agree. So far, I've only ever seen two things that address her points rather than attack her personally.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:34:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 12:34:39 PM PST
You're right, gamers are probably one of the last groups I would ask their opinions on a topic like this. I mean, have you been on RPG Codex? Want to see the worst of gaming as a culture? Go there.

Actually, take my word. Don't go there.

What I want to know is why exactly gamers get so offended when somebody along the lines of her brings a tad bit of scrutiny to games. Although I have to admit that people outside of the gaming community are probably not going to be any less harsh on video games. In fact, they probably will be even more harsh.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 12:36:40 PM PST
DVvM says:
Hooray, now we can have a substantive debate based on the points she's actually making!

Okay, I can't really manage that level of optimism on a monday, this is gamers we're talking about.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 12:38:18 PM PST
Soulshine says:
So is it a game or web series or what?

How much did she raise on kickstarter for this?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:40:20 PM PST
Did you like her previous series?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:40:29 PM PST
DVvM says:
Web series, on youtube.

Why does it matter how much she raised? It was $158,922 from 6,968 people. But if those people want to spend their money so those videos can be made, what business is it of anybody else to tell them how they should or shouldn't spend their own money?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:40:44 PM PST
DVvM says:
I don't think I ever saw it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:41:43 PM PST
FOGE says:
Of course it was. Almost everything I say is tongue in cheek ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:42:14 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I was just curious, never heard of this story.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:43:11 PM PST
Web series. She raised $158,922.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:44:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 12:56:34 PM PST
DV, I know a lot of people attacked her for all the money she raised, but I honestly think he was just asking.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:48:40 PM PST
I saw an episode about a trope (which I thought made a few valid points), her review of The Hunger Games (which I largely agreed with), and just this morning I watched her review of Bayonetta (which was questionable, according to people who have played it, until she started ranting about women being on groped on trains).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:51:36 PM PST
I actually think she has the potential to be more harsh, because she is invested in this hobby. And her arguments will hopefully come from a position of knowledge and experience rather than knee-jerk reactions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:54:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 12:55:15 PM PST
I hope so too. I'm still looking forward to show, but I will have all my critical facilities engaged when considering her analysis. Regardless, I do think she has potential to bring more light to the portrayal of woman in video games. Her being a gamer helps, for sure.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 1:01:28 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I have no idea of her other than this thread so I don't know her specific points about the issue. Although I'd agree that it is still an issue, I also think video games have adapted to this whole "equality" thing faster than most other forms of entertainment media. Regarding gender, race, sexual orientation, you name it.

I'm a little curious to see this, and I hope she points to a few successes as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:07:04 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think that part of this is because "Things that happen in Japan" are a sore spot with a lot of people who are activist feminists.

I know much of what I hear about certain aspects of Japanese culture really disturb me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 1:15:21 PM PST
Oh, for sure. But she tried to connect (not causally, but in spirit) the marketing for this game there with the things that happen in Japanese subways, and then she went so far as to say that we should have gender-segregated passenger cars in the US.

Have you played Bayonetta? I'd really like to read your take on her video.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  396
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions