Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dead Island: Riptide Developer Says The Engine "Runs On Wii U Without Any Problems"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2013 1:02:33 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
At the weekend we reported that Dead Island: Riptide would be skipping the Wii U because a port would require a complete re-write of the game's code.

That was the official stance of publisher Deep Silver, but developer Techland has countered the claim by stating that the engine runs perfectly on Nintendo's console.

Speaking to Digital Spy, Techland International brand manager Blazej Krakowiak said:

Chrome Engine runs on Wii U without any problems. We tested and confirmed that long time ago, back in 2012.

While it's true that Nintendo's latest console would be a new platform for us, there were simply no plans to develop a Wii U version but that decision has nothing to do with a need to rewrite our engine.

Krakowiak added that a Wii U version was very much down to Deep Silver "to discuss if they so choose".

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/dead_island_riptide_developer_says_the_engine_runs_on_wii_u_without_any_problems

And the plot thickens.

Publisher says: "No go, too much work."
Developer says: " Actually, no, it's easy. And if it ain't coming, don't blame us."

Curiouser and curiouser.

Thoughts?

Sound Off Below.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:03:28 PM PDT
It sounds like the publisher pulled a "this system didnt sale X, no its a no release."

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:07:41 PM PDT
The Unknown says:
BREAKING NEWS: 3rd Party Publishers Attempt to Crap on WiiU, Devs Say: "They're Full of Hooey. More at 11."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:09:19 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
You'd think they could just come out and say that. Why lie? It only makes you look worse (READ: Dumb) when you're caught.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:09:30 PM PDT
M. McFly says:
Well given the install base and potential customers its pretty much do we want to sell 23,000 copies of this game on wii u or not....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:10:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:11:04 PM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
"Runs On Wii U Without Any Problems"

Well... It does have 1 problem. Which is the lack of a Wii U port.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:13:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:18:50 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
Ha, funny. That makes how many games now that developers were willing to bring to Wii U and their publishers bring down the hate curtain, killing the entire thing? 5?

Crysis 3
Dead Island: Riptide
GTA V
Bioshock Infinite
Tiger Woods 2013
(Anything from EA)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:14:36 PM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
*Will wait to make fun of overpriced directors cut version released 6 - 18 months after Gen 7 versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:15:59 PM PDT
That is true. It would be a PR nightmare. I wonder if the publisher is going to repond with anything now that the developer released a statement saying that the game could work.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 1:17:13 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
If Nintendo wants third party support they have to get hardware sales and third party game sales up. This is a business. If I were a publisher, I don't think I would port to the U.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:21:05 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
I keep seeing this nonsense about unit sales. How do you expect units to sell if you're basically forcing Nintendo to do it themselves? Who would buy the console if they KNOW none of your products are coming to it?

Business error 101.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:24:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:30:10 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
Perhaps, but it isn't up to third party developers to get U sales high, that is Nintendo's problem. Nintendo, IMHO, screwed themselves. Mario Kart and Pikmin 3 should have been launch titles along. I also think there should have been only a Deluxe SKU at $300. It would have sold like hot cakes and thus gotten better third partys support.

Heck man, I love Nintendo and tend to defend them far more than most. But they completely dropped the ball in terms of launch lineup. What first party titles have they supplied thus far? Nintendoland and NSMB-U? Sorry but that lineup is very much meh, what makes it worse is their next big game is Wind Waker HD (going to be amazing) which isn't till September? They should have launched with a 3D Mario, Zelda or Mario Kart. Heck even Luigi's Mansion 2 would have been a huge step up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:31:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:35:39 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
Somehow I doubt that. Anyway let me draw a picture for an example. Battlefield 4 is in development for PS4 and I'm sure NextBox as well. Is it in development for Wii U? The Wii U is the only next gen system currently out and has over 3 million units out there in the wild. Yet, was it even confirmed?

You're trying to tell me that these "business savvy" publishers are developing a game for two systems that have an install base of zero? Strongly supporting systems that don't even have a price or name respectively? Whose first party lineup at launch is unknown and likely to be as "anemic" as the Wii U's? Yet the Wii U's 3 million isn't enough? And that's surely to be more by year's end.

I find that puzzling and hypocritical.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:34:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:36:29 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
The assumption is the install base of the ps4 and 720 will quickly pass 3 million, plus don't forget the PC market. Also the Wii-U is weak in terms of power, porting from the ps4/pc/720 isn't simple, at least probably not. Nintendo made a system that in terms of power is unique, which makes porting harder, which means developers need more reason to make a game in the first place. The cherry on top is third party games historically sold terrible on Nintendo consoles (N64, GC, Wii). I don't blame developers from being hesistant. Did you see AC3 sales for the U? Not pretty my man. Not at all. Don't get me wrong, I love the U and will be playing Monster Hunter tonight. But I get where developers are coming from.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:38:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:38:37 PM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
What's the install base of the 360 and the PS3 combined? 144 million, give or take, and Tomb Raider only sold 1 million. Now mathesize that down to a system that only has 3 million installed users, yeah, 3rd parties shouldn't really be all that enticed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:41:37 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
Come on man. Really? They're making that game in particular for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. THE PS3! It's already been established that the Wii U's architecture is almost 1 to 1 with the 360 and that it's easy to port to.

All I'm saying is if you're willing to make a game on the PS3 which is arguably the hardest system to develop for - ever - you shouldn't be batting an eye at a Wii U port. In other words difficulty is not the issue. There's no defending those 3rd party fools man.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:43:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:44:21 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
Except historically third party games sell poorly on Nintendo consoles. Sucks but it is true. Plus the 360 and ps3 have installed bases on 150 million combined, sure putting effort into a port makes sense. The U at 3 million, not so much. Developers aren't stupid, they have done the calculation and decided it isn't worth the effort. It isn't their job to sell the U, that responsibility rests soley with Nintendo. So far they have done a poor job.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:44:57 PM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
"Sucks but it is true. "

Can you sing that to me in a Metallicrap way?

You know it sucks, but truuuuuahoooo

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:48:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:50:54 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
Again, they're making this for two systems that have an install base of zero.
Even as Keller said, they're assuming that both the PS4 and NextBox sell vastly more than the Wii U during their first 4 months. There is no guess work to be done concerning the Wii U's sales toward the end of the year - when I assume - this game will be released.

It will be minimum 10 million. I find the "guesswork" these publishers use are very one-sided.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:51:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:56:14 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
Why do you think publisher's aren't supporting the U?

I figure there are only two options.

1) They don't see enough profit margin

2) They don't like money and don't like Nintendo

Option 1 seems likely to me. Why else would they avoid the console?

"It will be minimum 10 million"

I think Nintendo will be lucky to get half that. So far this year the U is selling less than 200k a month worldwide.

Edit: More realistically I see the U getting around 7 million sold in total by the end of 2013. I don't see them hitting 10 million, not unless they have something amazing software wise up their sleeves. As much as I love Pikmin and Wind Waker, I don't see those as massive system sellers. Though I will buy both day 1.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:53:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 1:56:36 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
Honestly? I'm seeing option 2 popping up a lot more recently. Might sound silly but there's definitely something there.

"I think Nintendo will be lucky to get half that. So far this year the U is selling less than 200k a month worldwide."

Without: Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Windwaker Reborn, Mario Kart and any others that we don't know about but are sure to find out about at E3? Yes, I'm confident in that 10 million prediction.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 1:54:44 PM PDT
Lucanus says:
There might be a third option, demographics. The average U owner doesn't buy those type of games. Which I have to admit, the odds of me (a U owner) buying Battlefield are very slim. It isn't my type of game.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 2:05:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 2:13:43 PM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
An example: 3rd parties always seem to have a convenient excuse ready when it comes to supporting Nintendo:

After the Super Nintendo -

Nintendo 64 - "No go, cartridges are wack." - Was most powerful console.
Nintendo GameCube - "No go, disc space is too small" - Was more powerful than PS2.
Nintendo Wii - "No go, the console's too weak." - Had largest install base.

But yet when you finally have a console that fixes all of the above it's still a no go? Nah, it's more than just good business going on here, call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but there's something very wrong with this situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 2:56:25 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
The fact that Nintendo always seems to have a peripheral like the Wii motion plus controllers or Wii U gamepad that devs feel they have to make use of could keep them from porting games in. It was that way for Borderlands 2 reportedly, though Gearbox isn't the most trustworthy in this area now-a-days.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 4:46:14 PM PDT
You forget about GTA V.
No game or system on the market can compete with it. Not even COD.
The excitement for these new consoles will still be fresh this fall and the Wii u will be old news.
Also Nintendo themselves need to make more mature games since They aren't getting support from the 3rd parties.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions