Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What's going to happen to Spider-Man?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 26, 2012 1:04:35 PM PST
*Spoilers for Amazing Spider-Man #700*

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

For decades, comic books have had major shakeups in their pages, with varying degrees of fan support - and outrage.

In 1992, well before the advent of social media, Superman was killed and comic books went flying off the shelves.

In 2007, social media like Facebook and Twitter were in their infancy when Captain America died.

And now - due in part to the abundance of social media and the intense interest in Spider-Man's alter ego, Peter Parker - a firestorm has erupted, after Marvel revealed that Parker will die, and the role of Spider-Man will be taken over by his archenemy, Doctor Octopus.

The just-released "Amazing Spider-Man" #700 marks the end of one of the most popular comic book series of all time after 50 years. All parties involved maintain that the changes are quite permanent, and next month, the saga begins anew with the release of "The Superior Spider-Man" #1, with the Doc, Otto Octavius, stepping into the Spidey suit.

Otto believes that with the combination of his intelligence and Parker's inherited memories and spider powers, he can be an uber-Spider-Man. He can live Parker's life better than Peter could - from fighting crime to getting back together with on-again, off-again girlfriend Mary Jane Watson.

When issue #700 was leaked early, fan reaction - both positive and negative - went into overdrive, with a few posted death threats directed at the issue's writer, Dan Slott.

Slott reacted on his Twitter and Facebook by saying he would report any threats: "Reality check: There is NO such thing as a `funny death threat.' Especially if you TAG someone in it."

Slott later noted that the reactions were getting more civil as time went on.

CNN spoke separately to Slott and to Marvel editor Stephen Wacker about the controversial comic.

CNN: Why did you choose Doc Ock as the next Spider-Man?

Dan Slott: When we first met Peter Parker, he was a teenage bespectacled nerd who resented all the other kids. One of his first lines was, "Some day I'll show them all! Some day they'll be sorry they ever laughed at me." That's not something a hero would say. If Peter had never learned the lesson of "great power and great responsibility," there's every chance he would have become a supervillain.

And then you have Otto Octavius, a bespectacled scientist who, after his radioactive accident, became the eight-legged Doctor Octopus. For all intents and purposes, he was the adult Peter could have become, Spider-Man's dark reflection. So what if we flipped it? What if we gave him a second chance? Peter's final, heroic act was giving Doc all the memories and experiences that kept him on the right path. But is that enough? Can that overcome Ock's true nature?

CNN: How did this idea originate?

Stephen Wacker: This was an idea Dan had when he came onto the book. It changed shape as we went. It wasn't originally going to be in the 700th issue, but as the story grew, we realized maybe it was time to change up the makeup of Spider-Man for good, to make a permanent change. With that and the fact that the 50th anniversary was approaching, we thought, let's go out with a bang.

CNN: Did the word spread around Marvel quickly when this was first discussed?

Wacker: Three times a year we have editorial retreats, where we bring in our writers and discuss every single book. Anytime we talk about Spider-Man, it's a big deal. There were certainly some loud opinions in the room.

Our editor-in-chief, Axel Alonso, was one of the louder voices not buying it originally. All the things Axel poked at toughened the story up and made us look at things differently.

CNN: Was that a sneak preview of how fans might react?

Wacker: The fan reaction never really surprises me. Anything you do with any of our characters, there's a big vocal fan base, particularly online. It gets more magnified with Spidey. You find people of all stripes reacting - people who have been reading it for 50 years and love it, and others who say they're quitting Marvel forever.

I keep all the fan mail. You can see some of the same people who have written about six things over the past six years that made them drop Marvel forever.

There are not a lot of storytelling opportunities in the world where you get such an immediate, visceral reaction. That's a part of the job I like.

Slott: I've actually gotten a fair amount of "This is awesome!" (reactions to the story), but it's been very polarizing. No one has a middling review. No one has a take of, "It was all right." People are very split.

I got an angry tweet saying, "I don't like seeing bad things happen to good people." I'm like, good luck reading Charles Dickens, Mark Twain - anything in literature!

Now people are saying, "Nooooo! Why are you being mean to (Peter)?" The answer is two words: "Dra. Ma."

CNN: Have you learned anything in dealing with the reaction to this particular issue on social media?

Slott: We have the most passionate fans in the world! Everyone knows who Spider-Man is- and everyone cares about him!

In the world of comics, thanks to (newspaper publisher) J. Jonah Jameson, everyone thinks he's a menace. But in our world, he's beloved. Now we're going to flip that too. The readers are Jonah. They aren't ready to cut this guy a break. They think he's a menace! This is going to be the most meta Spider-Man of them all! And going from everything I've seen on social media, I am so up for that challenge!

http://wtvr.com/2012/12/26/peter-parker-death-spider-man-in-perilous-predicament/

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:07:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:08:02 PM PST
I read the issue. It's convoluted, but in a sense Peter Parker is dead and in a sense the important part of him lives on.

Issue #700 is the last issue of "the Amazing Spider-Man", since big numbers aren't in vogue anymore (we want comics to be more accessible), the follow up next month will be issue #1 of "the Superior Spider-Man" as Spidey is somewhat upgraded at the end of issue #700.

This seems like an odd timing for the article, since if you really want to find out what happens to Spidey, you can go buy the issue. Which, I suppose, is the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:15:23 PM PST
Is the final issue part of an arc or can I read just that issue for a gist of what happened?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:18:00 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You can just read wikipedia.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:21:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:25:19 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
My gripe with this move is really just that I never liked Octavius very much. Granted, I never read the comics a whole lot, so maybe he's a better character than I give him credit for, but I always thought he was a bit of a tool and completely undeserving of the honor of killing Spider-man, let alone carrying on his legacy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:22:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:23:53 PM PST
The issue explains it pretty well. I haven't read #699 (I don't usually follow Marvel) but I read #700 and could follow it (though I had to keep reminding myself who certain characters were.)

It's a very good single issue of a comic though. A more fitting sendoff than, say, Detective #881 or Action #904.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:22:57 PM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I'm sure they'll bring back Peter Parker eventually just like they do with every single comic book hero that has "died" over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:25:15 PM PST
Well, the thing about wholesale changes in comics is that if you do something major, and you find out that you don't like it, then you can change it. If you find out that you do like it, you can keep it that way.

This isn't really a bad thing, since it allows you to take creative risks and have fun, and there's only a few characters that really need to stay dead (e.g. Uncle Ben, Thomas and Martha Wayne, etc.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:26:06 PM PST
Anthony says:
I've never been a huge fan of the Spider-Man comics, and my knowledge of the 616 version basically extends up to the end of the Civil War arc, but this just sounds stupid to me.

i think i'll just wait until they inevitably bring Parker back to life and put him back in action as Spider-Man. I'm completely uninterested in this idea.

of course, from what little i've heard of the newest X-Men comics, i'll probably be pissed off when i finally get caught up with them. i just finished the Messiah Complex arc (which sucked and served just about no purpose other than to vilify Bishop, who i never particularly liked to begin with) not too long ago, and haven't felt like reading any comics since then. from what i've heard, the X-Men become the bad guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:26:30 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
<<just like they do with every single comic book hero that has "died" over the years>>

what's that famous quote? "the only permanent comic book deaths are Thomas and Martha Wayne, Ben Parker, and Boston Brand."

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:26:48 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2013 3:03:21 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:28:36 PM PST
Anthony says:
its a bad thing when they overdo it, like with Jean Grey.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:28:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:31:51 PM PST
Boston Brand came back to life in May of 2010. He's dead again though.

For a while Bucky Barnes was also on the "do not resuscitate" list, but we got him back in 2005 (and he's still with us).

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:36:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:37:54 PM PST
I know it's so hard to believe when a comicbook company says a character is going to be killed off yet a year later if not sooner there back again alive and well. I'm not sure if anyone remembers when Aunt May died and *snap* she's alive again with a ridiculous story-arc on why. The same with Jean Grey so many times and so on and so on. Don't be surprised if Peter Parker shows up again next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:38:14 PM PST
Peter Parker will be back when the editors at Marvel decide he should be come back.

Is the complaint here that superhero comics lack verisimilitude?

The concern should not be "will Marvel respect the sanctity of Parker's death" but "will Marvel actually do something interesting with the way the board is set up now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:40:54 PM PST
But can anyone really care anymore about this really so much? I mean Marvel and DC have killed and rekilled so many times a lot of their iconic characters only to revive them later on so that it became redundant to become concerned when you heard that a character was going to be killed or would die.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:45:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:49:54 PM PST
I think only people who don't really pay attention to comics really care that much about "character is dead" or "character isn't going to stay dead."

If you actually follow comics closely, this sort of stuff doesn't bother you. It's just an inherent part of the medium. It can be good or bad, but which of those it is will be determined by how things go after the character dies or becomes no-longer-dead.

Though people who do follow comics tend to become annoyed when characters who they like die/disappear and don't come back (e.g. Ted Kord, Wally West).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:51:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:52:25 PM PST
Anthony says:
personally, i don't care that parker is dying i just think its stupid that Doc Ock is replacing him as Spider-Man.

just like how i didn't like the Civil War arc. not because Cap was killed, but because of Iron Man's actions during it. since then i seriously hate Stark in the comics, and generally try and avoid comics starring the little backstabber. though for some reason that hate never really carried over to the movies or the Avengers EMH cartoon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:53:01 PM PST
"personally, i don't care that parker is dying i just think its stupid that Doc Ock is replacing him as Spider-Man."

It's got to be better than Ben Reilley.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:04:22 PM PST
It's not really Doc Ock.

It's Otto Octavius who was forced to live through everything Peter Parker lived through.

So it's really neither Parker nor Octavius.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:22:57 PM PST
Anthony says:
honestly, i'd prefer the clone to Doc Ock.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:23:56 PM PST
Even if turned out that Peter was really the clone?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 2:41:03 PM PST
I'm kinda mildly curious as to how the villain with the good-guy memories will play out, so it can be interesting as long as Doc doesn't always have an angel PP and a devil PP on his shoulders telling him how he should act. Plus, maybe MJ likes the freaky japanese 'cartoons' and doc can make good use of his extra appendages.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:44:13 PM PST
As I understand it... Doc is in Peter Parker's body.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 2:47:34 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 26, 2012 2:51:03 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions