Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:01:04 PM PST
Still working on specifics of my character, but this is the basic gist.

He is a catfolk ranger. He grew up in a small catfolk settlement in the woods a few dozen miles from any human village. Being catfolk, he is intensely curious, so when he came of age he struck out on his own to find out more about those humans who live in the strange big, cramped (at least according to catfolk standards) capital city. He had been there less than a fortnight when the King was murdered. When the call was put out for adventurers, he jumps at the opportunity. Is it because of curiosity? Is it a way to improve himself before returning to his tribe? It's both.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:08:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:09:25 PM PST
DVvM says:
I just want something that's sufficiently nfar orth enough to have peasants that scrabble by with subsistence agriculture (something like RL southern Scandinavia in the Dark Ages).

Because that's where I'm from originally, whatever that place is.

It's your setting so if you just want to give that a name, I'll write down whatever it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:19:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:20:33 PM PST
Hard land where farming involves a lot of removing stone from the ground, and blistering winds? Auren. Aurien folk are hard pressed to forge a living, it's kind of a hopeless place where the land saps the youth and vigor and only the hardiest survive and it's a struggle for them. If it wasn't for stubborness, many would give up in that land. Thankfully, being stubborn is almost a hereditary train for the people and they maintain their hope by passing tales around their households of past legends and dreams that the Legendary will one day return to lead them to their promised reward for guarding some unknown item since time immemorial.

It is a land that is unforgiving, but where community means something so there is definitely a sense of loyalty amongst the populace. Not exactly a trusting people, if you're not one of them, you should expect a cold shoulder until you prove that you are a positive to the community.

This is the closest I have, but if it doesn't work, I can try to create a different people if you give me some time and something to base the history upon. I kinda rely on history and events from times past to explain a people, since it gives me a good starting point to explain what they are and the reason why. I try my best to have a living world as i adds a sense of reality to the game and makes it "breathe".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:37:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:17:57 PM PST
DVvM says:
I'll go with that. Do they speak Common in Auren, or do they have their own language?

Another question: I want my character to use a longbow (which is taller than she is), which she carries unstrung as a sort of oddly curved staff. Monks start out in extreme poverty (35GP at chargen) and a longbow costs 75GP. I do, however, have the skill "Craft: Bow" which would allow me to create a longbow for 25GP of raw materials plus a few week's time (it's a DC 15 roll, my skill bonus is +6, and it would take 2-4 successes to make).

Can I say I made this item before the campaign began? I can spend 5 of my 35 gold on Artisan's Tools which would make this possible (then have a little bit of money for arrows, a pack, and a blanket or something).

Or am I mistaken in assuming starting equipment has to be paid for by starting gold?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:23 PM PST
The idea I was going with, I guess, is that she and her mother would have been captured by slavers used to dealing with people more along the lines of option one. Being part of an exotic, rare race that's generally seen as quite comely, her mother would have been prime... _stock_, so to speak, and the baby would have been an added bonus. Ultimately, though, they could have been sold on the black market anywhere with a sufficiently seedy underbelly, and once her mother dies (she's five at the time), she's sold to a fairly nice, if distant, person who's mostly interested in her as the ultimate collectible. She's treated pretty well from then on, trained to sing with the idea of her becoming an entertainer.

If the society she's in looks down on slavery, the guy who ultimately buys her could see it as sort of liberating her, as well, though still see acquiring her and letting her live with him as making a prize addition to his collection.

I suppose while we're figuring out where to put her, I should mention that one of the more critical parts of her upbringing was that her master (which conveniently applies whether she's treated as a servant or slave) is a courtier, so the city she grew up in would probably be the capital of a kingdom, duchy, or principality, and the court he attended included its fair share (or more) of intrigue.

Is there anything that works for that idea, or would it need to be retooled? I could send you the full backstory if you like.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:20:29 PM PST
Here's what I'm leaning towards, but this is nowhere near finished. If this is totally out there let me know and I can change some things.
___

Smoke. Blistering heat. The fires from that nights raid left only two alive in that small country town. Friends since birth, the two clerics were merely staying overnight for a brief respite before continuing on in their travels. They knew they should have continued walking through the night to reach *, but the lack of food and shelter took its toll. Unfortunately, one of them was mortally wounded by the creatures' attacks. Try as he might, Mont could not save his poor friend from death's grasp. As an unknown affliction sapped the poor man's life away he began to fade into darkness. Mont felt an unexplainable change with his friend's passing. He suddenly felt at peace sitting by himself in that small burning town. A feeling like he would never be alone again. Now, he can often be seen conversing with nothing; speaking low so that only someone close to him can hear. Is the man insane, or is he something more? Does Mont still seek adventure with his friend at his side or is it all in his head?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:22:41 PM PST
Actually, that brings up a more general question for character creation. How should we handle starting wealth? Obviously nobody's going to be rich enough to afford really good equipment, but for some of characters it would make more sense to start in total poverty, while for others a decent set of equipment, perhaps beyond what the suggested starting wealth is, would make more backstory sense.

Or we could actually roll for it. I've never rolled for starting wealth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:25:52 PM PST
There's a table in the Pathfinder PRD that lists starting wealth by class. It has rolls, and lists an average for each class.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:26:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:51:06 PM PST
DVvM says:
I was just assuming the "average starting wealth" listed in the PHB.

I mean, my character is poor, but I want to have the weapon that all of my special abilities are based around.

You could always just go with "GM approves starting equipment based on backstory, and nobody has spending money."

Assuming I can say I made my own longbow, my entire starting equipment is: Bow, hooded cloak, arrows, artisan's tools, blanket, pack.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:32:19 PM PST
That makes sense. I mean rangers have an average of 175 gp, but there is no way my catfolk would have that much. I mean, catfolk are hunter-gatherers, so they have little use for money unless they are trading with other settlements, and even then they prefer to barter.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:43:25 PM PST
I'm aware of it, it's just that some DMs like to use the starting wealth as a guide and determine based on backstory.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:56:10 PM PST
Ah, fair enough.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:32:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:46:29 PM PST
DVvM says:
So I'm all done with chargen except for typing up the backstory, possibly equipment, and choosing languages (I get common, "language of host society", and 2 more from INT bonus, one will be Aklo for backstory reasons).

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:57:21 AM PST
So I think I've decided on a Halfling Rogue after going through the classes and races. I've always enjoyed the more sneaky characters and this seems to play to my style in Pathfinder.

Now the hard part begins with coming up with a back story and all that.

Also I really need to sit down and read through this whole thread lol.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:27:05 AM PST
Gods, I hate dealing with starting gold for level 1's. Let's go with this. We're going to go average for class + 1 starting weapon of common quality. You'll have to purchase any further equipment that you need. If the starting weapon is classed as exotic or it's what you would consider an uncommon item, please touch base with me first.

@Johns: If you're going along with option 1, then I'm going to speak to you in private so I can explain what option 1 would entail, my email for this campaign is daftpathfinder@hotmail.com. You might also want to consider that your owner isn't from this land as I can't give you tools to speak to any of the upper-caste here unless you RP a reason in-game, so you will want to include why you traveled to Kholistair in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:35:18 AM PST
Sent you an email dood.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:02:05 AM PST
Replied.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:15:43 AM PST
"Hard land where farming involves a lot of removing stone from the ground, and blistering winds? Auren. Aurien folk are hard pressed to forge a living, it's kind of a hopeless place where the land saps the youth and vigor and only the hardiest survive and it's a struggle for them"

I'll go with Auren as well then, unless you have problem with mountain orcs being in that region. The clan my character originated from subsisted purely on raiding villages in the foothills. Generally they would take food and women (and sometimes men, depending on the taste of the orc). My character was sired by a particularly vicious subchief who would allow his half-breed offspring to grow to age seven before throwing them into a pit with an orc boy twice their age. My newly-minted paladin was one of the few half-orcs who survived such a blooding.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:20:21 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Curiosity? Sweet. We'll get along. Gnomes are a naturally curious folk. They have to continue to experience new and exciting things or else they bleach out and die.

Daft, is there some kind of Wizard's Guild or University where you're running the game? I was thinking I'd like my character to have been blackballed from some major Wizard's Enclave for accidentally burning down a major library.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:07:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:09:32 AM PST
Is there a list of dieties or something I can look up for my cleric? I'm kind of confused as to how the domain / subdomains work. I can choose two domains as long as they're within my diety, then can adjust domains using subdomains. I can't find a list of dieties, so I'm unsure what domains / subdomains I have access to.

I was thinking (if its possible) to go with Healing and Ancients Repose or something along those lines. I think "Speak with the dead" would go along well with his backstory.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:18:32 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Domains are a pain in the ass. It's why I hardly ever play clerics anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:20:43 AM PST
Heh, that's ok.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:24:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 8:25:52 AM PST
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Religion

I have never seen a list of deities in the actual rulebook, which strikes me as odd.

Oh, they have their own small book. Lame.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy85eh?Pathfinder-Chronicles-Gods-Magic

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:25:52 AM PST
Thanks much!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:26:44 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
While Pathfinder has its own official campaign setting, it's relegated it to a section of its own books in favor, I guess, of letting the players do their own stuff.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 99 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  2472
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions