Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 601-625 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:08:20 PM PST
600!

I've decided I'm either going to go with my oread infiltrator or my undine adept. Any preferences between a short, cranky rock lady and a bitter, socially inept water nymph?

Or, you know, mechanically between an inquisitor and a druid?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:16:23 PM PST
I have no particular opinion on what you should play.

But gods, we're a weird party.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:18:14 PM PST
Well so far we have two melee, two archers, two casters...I'd say the party make-up is pretty cool.

This is unrelated, but oreads remind me of the racial trait of "lithovore" in Master of Orion 2, which was really useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:21:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 8:22:09 PM PST
I didn't mean "weird" as in "tactically unfeasible" I meant "If you saw these people walking down the street together, you'd wonder when the circus came to town."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:22:30 PM PST
Crazy. Is Misfortune a single target hex?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:25:08 PM PST
Yes. All of the hexes that are extended by Cackle (Agony, Charm, Fortune, Misfortune, and Evil Eye) are single target abilities.

Still, a high INT Witch is a great debuffer since hexes don't generally cost everything (and slumber is "sleep" without a hit dice limit.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:26:00 PM PST
Just asked...my brother says it has a bite, two claws, and a slam as a full attack action.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:37:32 PM PST
That's one type of hafling. To clarify, there's another type that is also well known in the geek society known as Kender. Nobody could call Tas a coward, and he had lots of great moments and one of the saddest parts in the books. Not going to mention it, but if anyone has read the books, you doubtlessly automatically know what I'm talking about.

To treat all halflings the same is to treat all races of elves or dwarves the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:37:57 PM PST
Sleep without the HD limit sounds amazing.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:40:38 PM PST
I don't know how D&D halflings started out, but they certainly haven't been hobbits in a long time.

I have no idea what Kender refers to, but D&D hobbits, flavor-wise, are essentially small, adventurous humans.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:43:18 PM PST
Just looked them up. Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:52:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 8:54:44 PM PST
Well, DragonLance was not the default setting in any edition of D&D. Krynn's Halflings (i.e. Kender) are as distinct from FaerŻn's as Krynn's Minotaurs are from FaerŻn's.

Part of the concept of various races in the DragonLance setting was "we will make more interesting versions of the standard races and monsters."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:12:34 PM PST
Actually, the reason that Kender are the way that they are is because Hickman didn't want a race of thieves, so he imbued them with their coincidental finding of "junk" left laying around or an item mysteriously appearing in their pouch. D&D has several sub-races of Halfling(which includes Kender), I was just naming one of them that is well known due to the Dragon Lance novels. It really had nothing to do with trying to make a more interesting version.

I will defend halflings to my dying breath, they are quite easily one of my favorite common races(other is gnomes. What can I say, I like the little guys. They make good underdogs.) as they were my first BECAUSE of the dragonlance novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:07:53 PM PST
Really, all the races and many of the classes in Dragonlance stand alone. Tinker gnomes, three distinct elven races with very clear differences, gully (or was it gutter) dwarves...white/red/black robed mages, so on....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:08:39 PM PST
This is, in large part, why DragonLance was my favorite canonical D&D setting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 10:11:19 PM PST
It was super cool. We played through the series when I was a teenager. Loved it. Later, when another group I was in was using Sigil as our hub, we ended up in Krynn at one point.
Plus, gold is worthless and steel is the order of the day. That alone almost makes it the perfect setting.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 11:53:00 PM PST
Pretty much finished my character build. A few interesting things I found. Humans gain racial +2 to one attribute (I used it on CHA), +1 skill rank/lvl, +1 starting feats, and as an oracle, +1 spell known (at least 1 lvl behind most powerful, i.e. an orison presently).
I went with human, LG, Lore Oracle,worships Irori, starting feats Dauntless Destiny and Shaman.
All oracles automatically know all spells with the "cure" descriptor in the title (or "inflict"...I chose cure), such as cure light wounds in addition to their allotment of spells known. All my known spells are divinations or cures except for the obligatory "light" orison. Orisons can be cast "at will", mostly because of their limited usefulness I imagine.
I went with Lore Mystery, Clouded Vision curse, and Lore Keeper revelation. Spent all my skill ranks in knowledge skills and spellcraft.
17 years old, 6'1",170, white eyes, black hair.
name: Daestine
That's the core of this character. Background story now being developed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:58:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 11:59:46 PM PST
If you didn't have your curse picked out, I was going to suggest "Tongues" since one of the languages that restricts you to in combat (Aklo) I speak... and would be really, really freaked out to hear anybody else speaking it (In character, I would pretty much immediately figure that you're some kind of horrible monster and tread extremely lightly around you.)

Clouded Vision isn't a bad choice though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:07:15 AM PST
I'm actually a little worried my character is a little too powerful based on my rolls and the +2 racial bonus. However, I'm trying to balance those scores by making my character fairly incapable of handling a direct battle. Great in a support role though (one of the spells I chose was "Know the Enemy" for example). I think it will be a more challenging character for me to role play, which will be cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:12:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:13:05 AM PST
Never apologize for rolling well, since it only helps everybody else. The only time I would really be concerned about it from a gameplay balance is if you're some class that is heavily stat-based and a unitasker (like fighters who roll really well can be problematic, since combat is either balanced for the party (so super-easy for the fighter) or balanced for the fighter (so incredibly dangerous for everyone else).

I personally rolled an 18 (6,6,6,1) and a 16 (6,6,4,2) among other stats, and I resisted putting the 18 in Wis (I have a racial +2) even though my ranged attacks are based on Wisdom starting at level 3, because I felt kind of bad about having a 20 in something.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 12:14:35 AM PST
Rules Question: Do feats have to be chosen immediately upon reaching that level, or can you opt not to spend them right away and use them later when (for example) your base attack bonus goes up making you eligible for more feats?

I imagine you have to choose right away, but I wanted to check.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:18:28 AM PST
Aw, now you're making me feel bad about putting my undine's 18 in Wis with his/her racial plus 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:20:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:21:00 AM PST
I know 3.5 had rules for retraining feats, so you could replace feats you didn't want anymore later in the game (or if you only took a feat as a placeholder until you met more prereqs).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 12:22:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:24:20 AM PST
Well, you could probably talk me into swapping Wis and Dex (rolled 18, 16, 14, 13, 10, 10, went Dex, Wis, Int, Con, Cha, Str; racial mods +2 Wis/Cha, -2 Con).

The benefit to having my dex mod 1 higher I guess is a couple levels of better shooting, a better initiative and reflex save, and better acrobatics and escape artist.

But then again, it's only 2 levels, I already have improved init, monks have no bad saves, and those skills aren't great.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 3:59:51 AM PST
Yea, halflings are much more adventurous than hobbits. Other than that, though, they seem pretty similar.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  2472
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions