Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Hex based PC wargames?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2012 11:24:50 AM PDT
T. Holmes says:
Are there any fairly recent hex based wargames for PC's? I used to play a lot of Avalon Hill style games a long time ago and was looking for something similar for the PC made in the past 5 years or so. I don't have the room to set up the boards anymore for an extended period of time and lack too many friends that would want to play the physical game like in my high school/college days. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 11:29:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 29, 2012 11:34:07 AM PDT
MechWarrior Tactics comes out sometime this fall. It'll be free to play online and I think they're still taking beta applications. This will probably be the closest thing to the Avalon Hill style games you'll find

Gamersgate.com also has a few you can look at as they host a lot of UK made war games.

For a fantasy setting, check out Warlock: Master of the Arcane [Download].

Civilization 5 is also pretty popular.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 11:33:58 AM PDT
Ah did you used to play Axis and Allies? That game was amazing. Unfortuantly, I don't see many games like that on PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 11:46:53 AM PDT
T. Holmes says:
I used to play Axis and Allies and also had Fortress America. There were fun games. I never tried the PC version of A&A though that came out years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 12:02:19 PM PDT
Total War Battles: SHOGUN just released today on Steam for $8 and there's always the Civilization series which is awesome.

Posted on Aug 29, 2012 12:07:15 PM PDT
I personally love the Civ series, but he may be looking with less ity building. If you just want strategic hex-based battling you can leave the city-building functions up to your advisors, but you'll lose out on a lot of the depth of the game (and you'll lose a lot of games at higher difficulties, lol)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 12:08:44 PM PDT
T. Holmes says:
I have Civilization II, which I played a lot when it was released. It was fun but I'm looking for more operational type level hex based games.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2012 12:16:32 PM PDT
I would search for the "war game" genre. It's not very popular stateside, but many UK developers still make them.

Gamersgate.com should have a few and they might even have some on their "void" service where you can watch a 1 minute advertisement and then play the full game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:50:13 PM PST
Try checking out Matrix Games; many, many PC wargames including turn-based hex-map games. Battlefront is another maker of good wargames.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:52:31 PM PST
They're old, so they're probably not what you're looking for but Panzer General and Allied General were both fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:55:16 PM PST
I bought one off ebay when I was in college that was an old 90s PC game based on the 1970s War of the Worlds rock opera... Alas, I couldn't get it to work on my American PC. XP's OS simulation was iffy at best and even running the game as though I were on a british Win95 PC didn't do the trick.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:57:53 AM PST
T. Holmes says:
Thanks for all of the leads. Some good ones there.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Aug 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions