Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Rumor Alert: Next-gen Xbox details spilled in penultimate issue of Xbox World

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 1:11:06 AM PST
Waldo says:
Xbox World will stop revolving come December, but it plans on going out with a bang. Specifically, the UK publication's second-to-last issue claims to have all the inside deets on Microsoft's next console.

The new console's name, for instance, will be simply "Xbox," with no numerical modifiers to speak of, according to the magazine. It'll supposedly ship with a quad-core processor and eight gigs of ram, run Blu-Ray discs and will eventually support some form of head-mounted augmented reality device, in addition to a next-generation Kinect.

"Xbox World has been at the cutting edge of Durango coverage for over 12 months," Xbox World EIC Dan Dawkins told CVG. "Unless something really dramatic changes, everything we reveal in our penultimate issue will be revealed long before E3 in June."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/16/rumor-next-gen-xbox-details-spilled-in-penultimate-issue-of-xbo/

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:13:52 AM PST
Aku says:
Eight gigs of RAM? Jesus Christ, why?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:40:41 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Ram is fairly inexpensive.

Figure a Win 8/Win 9 based OS will take up a third of it. Perhaps it will have multitasking abilities/apps running in the backround?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:46:26 AM PST
If it's true (and I don't know that it is) then I'd say that Microsoft is aiming for a ten-year lifecycle or that it had memory intensive features. I mean, Miiverse itself uses a lot of RAM on the Wii U so if MS plans on expanding Xbox Live it may also require a lot of memory since MS prefers to integrate XBL into the operating system.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:52:23 AM PST
Aku says:
Most computers don't need that much RAM, and their OS is generally much more bloated than a console's structure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:58:02 AM PST
Harmicky says:
"The new console's name...will be simply "Xbox,"" - Doubtful. Microsoft has already produced a console called this exact same thing.
"ship with a quad-core processor and eight gigs of ram" - Plausible, but that's going to run the price up.
"run Blu-Ray discs" - Duh.
"head-mounted augmented reality device" - Huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:58:15 AM PST
MS is legendary for bloated OS. Isn't the next Xbox said to run on a version of Windows 8 and then Windows 9?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 4:59:42 AM PST
" "head-mounted augmented reality device"

Sony HMZ-T1 Wearable HDTV 2D/3D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:01:31 AM PST
Harmicky says:
You think something like this is what they're talking about? I was more thinking the setup the kid has in Blank Check.

That thing looks like a migraine waiting to happen for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:07:24 AM PST
I actually think something more along the lines of those AR glasses Google is working on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:08:38 AM PST
Harmicky says:
The Google Glass Project? That would be pretty sweet. I'm following that project closely, and with great interest.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:33:04 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I'm just happy to see that someone knows what "penultimate" means.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:39:10 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
Apparently Xbox world spilled the beans on everything that was in that 15 page leaked document weeks before it leaked. If that was true (ms lawyers certainly gave that impression) then everything they're saying could be as well. There's also a ps4 one in the ps version of the mag.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:55:11 AM PST
PC RAM is fairly inexpensive but the dedicated RAM consoles use is way more costly. The next Xbox is supposed to be running on some form of Windows 8 but I doubt it will be a full version of Windows 8. Wasn't the point of using Windows 8 as the basis for their other OS's so they can do more cross platform stuff like with Windows Phone 7?

I'll be really shocked to see this thing packing 8GB of RAM and I highly doubt the name will be Xbox considering how self aware Microsoft has been of the Xbox name compared to Playstation. Part of the reason the Xbox 360 carried the "360" at the end was because Microsoft worried that the average consumer would think the Xbox 2 wasn't up to snuff with the Playstation 3.

The Bluray stuff, Kinect (please no), and such I believe though.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:11:58 AM PST
Brad Michael says:
I'm surprised by the Bluray thing. Not that the Xbox won't need it, but that they'll be paying Sony for every one they sell. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:13:00 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
That's not how it works.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:14:59 AM PST
Sony doesn't manage the rights to Blu-ray. There's a consortium of nineteen companies that form the Blu-ray association. That's where the money goes. Sony will get a cut but not nearly as much some people might think.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:18:06 AM PST
Also don't forget sony computers run windows lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:21:21 AM PST
DVvM says:
Sony's going to get the same cut of the Blu-Ray licensing money as Apple (who's also on the board at the Blu-Ray disc association), which is a company who has never put a Blu-Ray drive in anything and has never seemed at all interested in convincing you to buy a Blu-Ray drive.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:24:19 AM PST
Any body else notice that the ps3 has most of these things already? All but the ram, i dare say. (Dont forget about the ps eye, fanboys.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:28:42 AM PST
The only thing I see that the PS3 already has is Blu-ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:29:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 9:32:57 AM PST
DVvM says:
Huh?

"It'll supposedly ship with a quad-core processor and eight gigs of ram, run Blu-Ray discs and will eventually support some form of head-mounted augmented reality device, in addition to a next-generation Kinect."

The PS3 does not have a quad-core processor. The Cell architecture consists of one powerPC core (the PPE) and 8 Single Instruction Multiple Data 128-bit vector processors (SPEs). This relationship is not properly encapsulated in the "core" paradigm.

The PS3 does not have 8 gigs of Ram, it has 512MB of RAM.

The PS3 does have Blu-Ray

The PS3 does not support any sort of head-mounted augmented reality device.

The PS3 does not support a next-generation kinect.

So the PS3 has precisely one of those things.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:31:14 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
No I didn't notice that. Mainly because it's not even remotely accurate.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:57:56 AM PST
Brad Michael says:
My mistake. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Btw I'm fully in support of the Xbox using bluray. Surely it'll be able to read the quad-layer type from the beginning so to future proof itself more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:08:19 AM PST
Oh no, whatsoever shall us Sonymites gloat about now that we won't be able to talk about the xbot having to change disks? Other than all of the first party titles we get, since that is a given. As long as Sony makes the dang thing easier to develop for, we will be in for a world of win next gen.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions