Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: So I want to start watching Doctor Who

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 15, 2011 11:06:39 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Sorry, this has nothing to do with our recent resident, Dr Whom. But he can, of course, bless me with some advise too.

I want to start watching the series, but where the heck should I begin? With the first Doctor Who that aired from 1963 to 1989, with seven different Docs along the way? Or just skip those and start watching the 2005 version?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 11:16:30 AM PDT
CisforCorgi says:
I actually don't watch the series regularly but every once in a while a friend will recommend an episode or two and I'll watch episode by episode. I miss some continuity but the general overall theme of the episode is usually quite easy to follow. So you could likely start with the later series and move back if you liked what you saw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(Doctor_Who)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Empty_Child

^two of the freakier ones imo

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 11:26:45 AM PDT
Tom baker and david tennant are considered the best, i tried to watch matt smith but got bored of his doctor

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 11:30:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 11:30:41 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Also, I'm assuming they reintroduce the premise of what exactly Doctor Who is about in the modern series, yes? Because I have little to no knowledge of what the show is about beyond time travel.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 11:31:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 11:32:21 AM PDT
Are we talking like a James Bond sort of thing though or is there a continuum to the series that allows for new doctors to come and go thus making them all uniquely relevant?

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 11:35:27 AM PDT
in the modern series, which starts with christopher eccelston as the doctor they do explain they premise of the show as i recall, unless you have a lot of nostalgia for older ones they aren't all that great, there are also some enemies that are often around such as the daleks and cyber-men but at some point in the series they're origins are explained.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 11:42:21 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Got it. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 3:41:55 PM PDT
Start with the new series on Netflix. It is amazing. Elements of the lore are fleshed out throughout the seasons.

All of time and space, everything that ever was or is. It's campy, sure, and the solutions to episodes often involve a lot of technobabble and deus ex machina, but the writing is usually outstanding.

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:03:26 PM PDT
You won't have any problem starting with the new ones. Most of my friends and my fiancee are big Dr. Who fans, but we haven't seen any of the old stuff.

A lot of people don't seem to like Matt Smith (the latest Doctor), but the production values for the show got noticebly better, which allows me to suspend my disbelief a little bit easier.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 4:12:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 9:31:21 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:20:09 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
the "relaunch" series with Eccleston is intentionally easy to jump right into. any backstory that you need, you'll get.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 4:25:43 PM PDT
that's fair. But with over 20 years of stuff, it's a little overwhelming. Do you know where to start?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 4:29:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 9:31:22 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 4:32:25 PM PDT
Start with Eccleston (2005, I believe), watch as far as you can, then dabble in the earlier episodes. The main difference between older and newer episodes is that newer episodes tend to have an overarching plot point that gets resolved each season, whereas the old episodes have plots that generally extend no more than four episodes, at least for the Tom Baker years.

And I slightly disagree with a lot of posts here. I think all three doctors have their redeeming qualities (at least, the three "modern" doctors: I've only recently began dabbling into the older episodes, and do agree with Tom Baker being an excellent Doctor, but oh how special effects and budgets have progressed in thirty years).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 10:07:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2011 10:10:00 PM PDT
I only watched some of the originals after seeing the first four seasons of new Doctor Who. I recommend starting with that, it's generally better, and is a great introduction to the mythos, as well.

I recommend staying the heck away from season 5 (and the associated special), though. That was terrible.

(I do like the eleventh doctor--or at least, I want to, because in concept he seems like a likeable guy--, but everything that made the series good just kind of fell apart after Davies left.)

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 11:48:57 PM PDT
RJMacReady says:
You need to start with the very fist Doctor and watch every episode in order or you're going to be lost. You won't know who the Daleks or the Master is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:29:26 AM PDT
No, actually they do a really good job of introducing both of those in the new series.

Assuming you're not trolling, which you probably are.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 1:56:22 AM PDT
J. Lee says:
If you just want to watch the show - no books or comics or anything - then you should start with An Unearthly Child from 1963. If you don't want to watch black and white then you should skip ahead to Spearhead from Space, Jon Pertwee's first story from 1970. My association with Doctor Who began with Tom Baker's first story, Robot (1974). Later, I went back and caught earlier ones. Also, the first "new" (for me which shows you how long I've been watching) story I saw was Peter Davison's first which was Castrovalva from 1982...but that's the final part of a trilogy. If you ever want to watch the classic show, I wouldn't start with 2005's Rose because I don't think many people will like the old one compared to the new one's production values. But Dr. Who is about story, character and charm. With monsters and megalomaniacs and great and/or terrible acting depending. It's also about lovable cheesiness. Key canon episodes include The Daleks, The Tenth Planet (which doesn't exist except for a few clips) and Terror of the Autons which introduce the Daleks (duh!), the Cybermen and The Master, respectively. Another way is for you to watch the first episode of each Doctor and see which one you like from that angle. These would be An Unearthly Child again (William Hartnell), The Tomb of the Cybermen (sequentially the first complete Patrick Troughton DVD that isn't "missing"), Spearhead, Robot and Castrovalva from above although you may want to skip to Four to Doomsday for Peter Davison. It was the first one he recorded anyway and you might want to save Tom Baker's last two episodes until after you've spent some time watching him over his seven years of episodes. Colin Baker's first is The Twin Dilemma which is a shame but there are good moments in it. Sylvester McCoy's is Time and the Rani which many people hate but I kind of enjoy. Alternatively, you could also watch the TV movie with Paul McGann. He makes a great Doctor. Then it would be Rose with Christopher Eccleston who also made a great Doctor. For David Tennant, you would start with The Christmas Invasion and for Matt Smith, The Eleventh Hour. Still with me? Completists would start with Hartnell. Skeptics with Eccleston. Romantics with Tennant. Comedians with Troughton. Adventurers with Pertwee. Cat lovers and afficionados of loud clothes with Colin Baker. (Colin was good but didn't have as much to work with in the scripts as some of the other Doctors.) Eccentrics with Tom Baker...who was absolutely wonderful. Nice guys would like Davison. He was my favorite for many reasons. And Sylvester started out with awful material and then made it his own with some great stuff in his last season. Oh and if you want to catch up with Matt Smith, that's fine. He impresses the hell out of me with his ability. He nailed the Doctor from the get go. And of course, Tennant who is beyond great. But to get the most out of Tennat's era you have to start with Eccleston's. I'd start at the beginning or Spearhead or Robot. Or Rose. But like I said, you might not want to go back. Sorry about the ramble. Tried to cram some info in here.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 7:44:42 AM PDT
G. Noronha says:
Try starting in 2004 and catch the switch to David Tennant. You'll get used to Matt Smith (2010-now) even though his doctor is a bit on the childish side, eventually he'll come around.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 7:46:24 AM PDT
Kirksplosion says:
Wow, that is a lot of info, sir. Thank you! You clearly know your Doctor Who, and I'll will definitely use your roadmap here that you've graciously typed out. I'll likely watch the more recent ones, and then go back and check some of the older episodes out. I don't think I'll have an issue with the lower production values at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 8:39:09 AM PDT
Donkey Punch says:
You could start with the newer series if you want they tell you about the back story. I watched alot of the old episodes when I was a kid and started watching newer ones recently.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 8:44:34 AM PDT
You really don't need to see the old ones to understand what is going on. Things are a lot different for The Doctor. For one, something happened between the new and the old series, and his people are gone, destroyed in a great Time War with the Daleks. In the original series, many episodes dealt with Time Lords, their society, and their planet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 9:32:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 16, 2011 9:32:29 AM PDT
One thing to keep in mind, between old and new Doctor Who, is that the new stuff sort of vaguely retcons some of the old--particularly the Doctor's relationship to the rest of the Time Lords, as well as the role he fulfilled in that society. Because of these reinterpretations, the Master (one of the biggest villains in DW) is a pretty different character all around, even taking into account his regeneration(s) since old Doctor Who. So basically when you start watching the old stuff, keep in mind that some things that have nothing to do with production values are going to be quite different from what you've gotten used to.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 9:51:02 AM PDT
Maddog says:
If you can't decide just do what I do...start with the smoking hot one.

That would be Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 9:49:48 PM PST
Or start with the total package.

That would be Fourth Doctor Tom Baker. You can't lose with the golden era and creative peak of "Doctor Who"!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: In a forum where the trolls roam freely and the console war rages, there is one last bastion of hope. Where the righteous make their final stand. They call it "the OT." 3072 9 seconds ago
PBS Game/Show top ten games of all time 12 4 minutes ago
P.T Ghost, Lisa in MGSV 3 12 minutes ago
Destiny Angry Review 53 21 minutes ago
OT: First World Internet Problems 11 24 minutes ago
Pre-ordered? 37 26 minutes ago
A fanthing gushes over Theatrhythm: Curtain Call 20 39 minutes ago
Just finished New Vegas... 23 39 minutes ago
Microsoft pushes back the Xbox One's launch in China due to lack of interest? 19 46 minutes ago
'Sony has the potential to make the game console market its exclusive territory', analyst claims 10 49 minutes ago
D4 (Xbox One) Is A Bomba. Currently 77 On Metacritc And Dropping 45 54 minutes ago
R.I.P. Eric the Actor 2 55 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions