Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Exclusive: `Pain & Gain' trailer shows Mark Wahlberg bigger than ever

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 8:38:24 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Mark Wahlberg is going from the biggest hit of his career to the biggest he's ever been.

In the new trailer for "Pain & Gain" -- premiering exclusively right here on Yahoo! Movies -- Wahlberg shows off his radically transformed body as a personal trainer turned extortionist. Based on a true story, the role required the 41-year-old Wahlberg to pack on a lot of muscle in a short amount of time. And he ended up getting bigger than he'd ever been before (even surpassing his old Calvin Klein underwear-modeling days).

Walhberg told Men's Fitness that he had two months to shape up for "Pain & Gain." Making it even more difficult was the fact that he had slimmed down to play more of an Average Joe in "Ted," which became the highest-grossing film of his career this past summer. To do it, he had to pump a lot of iron and down a lot of food.

[Photos: See Mark Wahlberg in the poster for 'Pain & Gain']

Wahlberg revealed to E! Online that he ate up to 10 meals a day to load up on calories. He said it involved "a lot of getting up at 2 in the morning to eat another meal and I was still full from the meal at 10 o'clock." Wahlberg even started his own line of protein shakes and supplements called "Marked," with a portion of the proceeds going to his charitable foundation for inner city youths.

Of course, it wasn't just eating that got him to look like that. He spent two months intensively training before shooting. Then once filming began, he'd work 12-hour days on set, crash early, and be up again at 4 a.m. to hit the gym. All told, he put on 40 pounds, from his trim "Ted" weight of 165 to a hulking 205.

Dwayne Johnson, Mark Wahlberg and Anthony Mackie in 'Pain & Gain' (Photo: Paramount Pictures)
Wahlberg needed to be as big as possible, though, to share the screen with Dwayne Johnson, who plays another bodybuilder drawn into an extortion scheme that goes very bad. "Pain & Gain" is a bit of a change of pace for director Michael Bay, who has been developing the true story for years. Wahlberg, Johnson and Bay all reportedly took massive pay cuts to get the modestly budgeted picture made (at an estimated $22 million, this cost about 10% of the budget for Bay's last film, "Transformers: Dark of the Moon").

[Related: Dwayne Johnson introduces the 'G.I. Joe: Retaliation' trailer]

Apparently, Bay and Wahlberg got along so well that the actor signed on for "Transformers 4," which will start shooting in the spring. No word yet on just how much he'll have to eat for that one.

"Pain & Gain" will open nationwide on April 26.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/exclusive-pain-gain-trailer-shows-mark-wahlberg-bigger-185257111.html

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:39:08 AM PST
Can't wait to watch this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:40:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 8:41:02 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
It's gotten bigger since Boogie Nights? This I gotta see.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:44:17 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 13, 2013 3:02:02 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:44:33 AM PST
Marvelous says:
I wasn't sure what to think about this movie during production, but the trailer looked awesome.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:04:45 AM PST
mark roided out.

Got to see this movie.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:05:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 1:10:37 PM PST
Saw the trailer last night. This really looks tripped out. At first I didn't think it was Mark. Bulked up fast.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:14:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 1:14:26 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm wondering why some midget like Mark Walberg with some mucle on him is so attractive to some of you fellas.

I think i may have hunch as to why though...

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:36:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 1:36:26 PM PST
They should make a movie about Sarah Palin and her homosexual husband called Palin and Gaylin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:42:25 PM PST
Marvelous says:
Haha who said anything about attraction mayo... It's just impressive that he was able to put 40 pounds of muscle in 2 months.

Do you have any idea how hard that is...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:46:45 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Not with his genetics. He probably got that big as easy as eating shepherds pie and jerkin' a shake weight.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:51:09 PM PST
I don't think Mark roided, always been pretty damn muscular. When you have enough money, workout as much as he does, prepare 2-4 months for a movie, 40 lbs of muscle can stack quick.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 1:51:20 PM PST
All this time, I never realized that Marvelous was a female, it explains a lot though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:52:45 PM PST
Marv is obsessed with working out. When other men get like this, it's basically me looking at a really nice car. It's nice to marvel at because it's something you want/have, but you wouldn't ever hump it. Right?
lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:53:25 PM PST
I've humped many a hot car in my day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:55:26 PM PST
Well you came out of the car closet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:56:39 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 20, 2012 1:57:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:31:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 2:32:20 PM PST
4 months I can see being probable.

in 2 months? no. he definitely used some type of enhancer to gain 40 lbs in muscle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:48:50 AM PST
Yeah, I agree.
Gaining OR losing 40 pounds (muscle or even fat) in two months is going to be improbable at best without some kind of artificial assistance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:50:38 AM PST
Yeah, good point.

I lost 30 pounds in about 3 months, a lot of exercise.................................................................................................

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:14:10 AM PST
Wow, he's all pumped up and freaking ugly. Good body if you like weightlifters, but it is not a good look for his face. And they should stop pointing the camera up his nose.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions