Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wow, they locked a TON of stuff for free players in TOR

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 3:51:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 3:51:58 PM PST
Like, way more than I expected. A second skill bar (necessary in this game IMO), a credit cap of 350,000 (with the rest in escrow), extremely limited numbers of special commendations for buying new gear (each planet has its own commendation), and instant fleet travel. Character creation is limited to only TWO slots! That's even worse than I expected. Race options are limited. Character Legacy options are limited.

You know the one thing that really pisses me off about this, though? I don't care that a ton of convenience and cosmetic things are behind a paywall. What really gets me is that there is no way to trade in-game money for the micro-transaction currency. If that was an option (like in GW2), I'd be fine with all of this.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:12:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:13:03 PM PST
DVvM says:
How much comparatively better is the middle tier in terms of "things being available to them by default."

There is a middle tier of like "people who used to be subscribers or people who have purchased premium currency at least once" right?

I do think that Bioware is trolling us by making "Helmets off in conversations" something you have to pay for with Cartel Coins though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:18:18 PM PST
Forgot about that one. Especially obnoxious when some helmets change your voice to sound metallic.

I am part of the middle tier. At least I can access premium MMO features, like storage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:19:33 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
That's about what I expected.

Free to play usually means free to try. If you are going to seriously get into the game, you usually need to put some money into it. Which is how they designed it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:20:42 PM PST
I mean, I knew there would be limitations, but these seem ridiculous.

For the record, I would possibly spend money on something like an extra character slot. I mean, one extra character is many, many hours of new story.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:23:23 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
OT, but I have a Warhammer 40,000 key for you from the THQ bundle I don't want. Wanna log on Steam quick?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:24:28 PM PST
DVvM says:
It's mostly trolling since this was a feature in basically every Bioware game, except oddly enough, Mass Effect 2 where people complained, at great length, that they wanted to be able to take their helmets off in conversation (so much so that they gave away a lot of helmets that don't cover your face with purchase of Dr. Pepper, and one of the DLC item packs was a piecemeal suit of armor that you could do without the helmet on.)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:25:13 PM PST
DVvM says:
How much do things like "an additional character slot" or "a race option that's not available by default" cost?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:26:48 PM PST
I'd have to log in and check the store. I'm too angry to do that right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:31:24 PM PST
DVvM says:
It seems like these policies were set specifically by corporate suits well aware that what a lot of people wanted from SW:TOR was to get in, play through the story or stories, and then get out, and they tried to figure out how to squeeze as much money as possible from these people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:32:13 PM PST
I mean, that animation with Shepard drinking in the bar...horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:33:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 4:34:05 PM PST
DVvM says:
And the fact that Shepard doesn't take his/her helmet off when dancing!

I mean, drinking with the helmet on can still be accomplished with judicious use of the emergency induction port.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:33:36 PM PST
1#Pen Name says:
I wish this game was good.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 4:36:11 PM PST
K Archer says:
Well, there goes that passing interest I had in the game...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:36:52 PM PST
Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 4:55:12 PM PST
K Archer says:
Nice edit

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:00:21 PM PST
"emergency induction port"

An obvious retcon to make the previous game's animations make sense!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:16:13 PM PST
vishock says:
stick to Guild Wars 2 over SWTOR... (everyone) lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:33:54 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
DCUO also limited character slots to two. It's fairly unlikely (though possible) that I'll actually get two characters all the way through their storylines, but we'll see. Same thing goes for the credit cap in DCUO (though it wasn't that bad since almost all the purchasable loot sucked). Limited races, meh.

The skill bar and travel limitations make me a sad panda, though.

So if I simply buy the game, will that put me in this "middle tier"? I think Amazon will have it on the BF sale for $6.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:38:31 PM PST
Yeah. Technically you will be a subscriber for 30 days.

I wasn't actually buying anything with my credits, so I'm more upset over the idea of that than the actual implementation of it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:25:38 AM PST
so is it at the same level as LOTRO or worse?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:01:39 AM PST
It seems worse than LOTRO, but not as bad as Conan or DDO.

I mean, none of the individual story stuff is locked. But only having two character slots sucks when there are 8 stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:04:46 AM PST
I played lotro for about 2 weeks I was running out of quests because they want you to buy the expansions although the story is still free... is it the same with TOR? or all the quests 'free'

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:08:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:09:54 AM PST
DVvM says:
Can you delete a character and free up that character slot?

Do you still have to buy the software, or can I have 4 free accounts so I can play all 8 stories?

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 12:15:22 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
For the record, I believe free players do get a second quick bar. You just have to turn it on in the interface editor.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions