Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Strange

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 8:59:07 PM PDT
RoadKing says:
Put in spec ops and went to multiplayer and it said we recommend you play the campaign before you play multiplayer. Haven't seen that before.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:16:30 PM PDT
JJ4prez says:
I saw that on CoD a bunch.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:20:14 PM PDT
RoadKing says:
Really? Guess I just forgot.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:24:32 PM PDT
WARNING: @$$ will get kicked

?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:32:30 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Really, you shouldn't play the multiplayer in Spec Ops at all. You definitely shouldn't play it until you play the single player (which is a ringing condemnation of the culture of multiplayer modern military shooters).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:34:34 PM PDT
RoadKing says:
The story is suppose to be amazing. So the multiplayer isn't any good?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:47:38 PM PDT
DVvM says:
The developers of Spec Ops didn't want to put a multiplayer in their game (because it contradicts the message that the single player does a great job sending), but they were forced to put it in because their publisher made them. It's generally not considered to be very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 10:06:19 PM PDT
I have actually considered playing this game for this reason, but I still have a hard time convincing myself that it's okay to spend money on such a game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 10:09:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 10:13:10 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Try renting it from Redbox, or something. It's basically the "Apocalypse Now" of modern military shooters. If you end up finding it distasteful on ethical grounds, you will only be about a buck or two.

It certainly doesn't make war seem as distasteful as it actually is, but it makes an earnest effort to do so, and that might be something that should be encouraged.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:47:01 AM PDT
That may be worth looking into, then. Have you played it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:49:04 AM PDT
DVvM says:
I rented it from redbox when Extra Credits did a two week thing on it. I don't love it, but I appreciate what they were going for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:52:29 AM PDT
Knowing how you feel about shooters to begin with, it must be worth trying in that case.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:56:32 AM PDT
use a free Redbox code.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:08:08 AM PDT
DVvM says:
That's a really good idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:50:12 AM PDT
Yes, that's exactly what I thought of when I saw that thread.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:34:22 PM PDT
Besides just making war seem crappy (which it is, obviously) it basically condemns us for yearning for the military power fantasy. It was well done, but it definitely allows room for argument. Like for instance, I don't play military games because I want to feel like a big soldier-man, I play them because I enjoy tactical thought and strategy (and sometimes just the rush of playing a twitch game with my buddies). I feel like the message wasn't aimed at me, but I imagine the people who the message WAS aimed at didn't play it :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:28:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 2:29:35 PM PDT
From what I've seen, very few such games require real tactics. That's fine, of course--while it could be fun, it would also get old pretty fast for most people.

To clarify: bad tactics are not by any means exclusive to video games.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions