Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Rikers Island Inmates costs city 100M In frivalous lawsuits.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 90 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 8:49:03 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/what_con_job_lAxjtMvhm1ys9JQTgQMEgP

"These jailbirds are proving that crime does pay.

Rikers Island inmates are soaking city taxpayers by suing over everything from slippery shower floors to beds they claim are too short, a Post analysis has found.

Legal claims against the Department of Correction have resulted in $111.1 million in payouts over the past five years - including settlements of "frivolous" cases that would have cost more to fight in court.

Sources said the situation is "out of control," with a growing network of prisoners sharing the names of lawyers and even scrawling the attorneys' contact info near the jail's pay phones.
Zaie Escribano (above), 31, has been locked up on Rikers Island since 2009 for allegedly firing on two NYPD cops.
He's suing the city, claiming he fell in a jailhouse shower in 2011 because the floor was too wet.
His Bronx Supreme Court suit says water accumulated on the floor due to a"stopped-up" drain and faults the city for not putting down "warning mats, skid-resistant materials, signs or cones" to alert inmates to the "dangerous conditions."

"Once the lawsuit is created, even if it's nonsense, they still get paid - and most of them are nonsense," a Rikers source said.

"They know the city will investigate and say it's not worth going to court. They'll offer $2,000 to squash it, and the lawyer will tell the inmate, `It's a bulls--t case, but they're offering $2,000 - you should take it.' "

Zaie Escribano, locked up for allegedly firing on two cops in The Bronx, is seeking unspecified damages over claims he slipped and fell in a Rikers shower in May 2011 because a "stopped-up" drain created a puddle on the floor, court documents show.

"Does it surprise you that he's suing the city, given his background?" asked Detective Robert Salerno, one of the cops Escribano allegedly shot at in 2009.

Statistics show Correction was sued nearly 8,500 times between fiscal years 2007 and 2011.

The city Law Department couldn't say how many suits were filed by inmates, but noted that baseless suits were a big problem.

"Inmates who bring frivolous lawsuits and their attorneys waste city taxpayer dollars," a spokeswoman said. "They unfortunately require us to deploy valuable public resources to investigate and defend the city."

In 2011, $35 million went to settle a suit alleging 100,000 prisoners were illegally strip-searched.

One inmate whose own suit scored him a settlement is the alleged ringleader of a gang busted in the 2010 anti-gay torture of two teens and a 30-year-old man in an abandoned Bronx building.

Idelfonso Mendez sued after breaking his wrist in a Correction bus accident. The city paid $32,500 to keep the case from trial.

Inmate Jamel Williams, who last year was sentenced to 18 years' prison for the robbery and murder of a DVD seller in Midtown, claims in a suit that his arm was burned by water a guard handed him in the dining hall.

Bronx lawyer Michael Ridge, who represents Williams and Escribano, declined to comment.

Another lawyer said he gets calls from prisoners almost daily.

"All it takes is for one guy to get a good result from a lawyer, and they pass the [lawyer's] number along because they got $10,000 from the city," the Bronx lawyer said.

"It's totally word of mouth." "

Unbelievable!!!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:50:46 AM PST
FOGE says:
Has anyone seen Death Race? They should do Pay Per View events like Death Race with these guys. Lets make that prison profitable!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:51:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Why do prisoners still have rights?

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:56:23 AM PST
klopas says:
Aren't the shower floors supposed to be slippery in prison? So long, tasteful man rape.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:11:07 AM PST
Because they're still people, regardless of what they've done?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:14:10 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
No. Just no.

They can take their right to vote, but they can't squash frivolous lawsuits. It's a joke and another case where it's true that criminals really do have more rights than law abiding citizens.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:17:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:18:57 AM PST
Ice King says:
What's the solution to this? Without taking away their right to sue, which would have the ACLU all over them.
They need to make it unattractive to them. Like perhaps make it so that any time spent on the lawsuit doesn't count toward their sentence. Then again, that would just make it more expensive when they're in jail longer.
Without just telling them to F off and taking away their rights I can't see a way to fix it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:18:08 AM PST
No, you said rights and I took that as rights in general. I'll agree that this situation as outlined above is not good, but to ask "Why do prisoners still have rights?" is just an awful thing to say. The second we dehumanize them is the second we dehumanize ourselves.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:18:44 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
Maybe a third party mediator type to review potential lawsuit prior to them being filed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:22:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:24:59 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
No it's not. Prisoners have proven that they cannot live within the rights that were laid out before them; therefore, they forfeit all rights that were bestowed upon them when they were born. Prison isn't supposed to be fun or a great place to go to make some extra cash. We are way too friendly to prisoners in this country and prisoner rights is a phrase that shouldn't even exist.

I might not like or agree with everything that Sheriff Joe Arpaio does, but at least he makes prison a place that you wouldn't want to go to twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:28:59 AM PST
OP says:
Someone more versed in matters of law can feel free to correct me on this, but I dimly recall some countries in Europe had a system whereby if you brought a frivolous lawsuit and lost, you were responsible for paying all lawyers' fees on both sides.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:31:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:32:56 AM PST
Emily Sedai says:
I always consider that, but it's also a double edge sword... companies with large bank rolls will usually have better lawyers, and I would never want to be scared to bring a lawsuit against an irresponsible company/government agency that may result in me losing everything I own. Like the facts of life, have to take the good with the bad, and any system will have scum sucking leeches that will feed off it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:34:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:35:15 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:36:01 AM PST
And if you can prove to me that everyone in prison should be there, whether it's because there's no chance they are not guilty or everyone was convicted and placed in jail with just laws that make sense, I'll change my mind, but until then, I can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:43:28 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:43:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:45:34 AM PST
Ice King says:
I think I've heard about that too, and although it sounds great, with the way things work in America I could see the big corporations lobbying to change the definition of "frivolous" to mean simply suing a big corporation and losing.
Then when they lose and don't pay you try to sue them and lose so now you're stuck paying those court costs.

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:46:00 AM PST
Yeah, most of the "frivolous" lawsuits the media bangs on about aren't frivolous at all. These, however, sound like they are intentionally frivolous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:46:27 AM PST
A decent human being?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:48:22 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
The principle that the reason these people are in prison for not obeying the law then using things that law obeying citizens can use is just crazy in my eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:49:11 AM PST
Ice King says:
I don't know though. Slippery floors in a shower room is probably something that should be addressed. A few non-slip mats in there could prevent that.

Besides, falling in the shower in prison is probably much worse than dropping the soap.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:49:17 AM PST
And I'll post this again.

And if you can prove to me that everyone in prison should be there, whether it's because there's no chance they are not guilty or everyone was convicted and placed in jail with just laws that make sense, I'll change my mind, but until then, I can't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:57:23 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Or they can just stay out of trouble - or being around trouble, and avoid situations all together. Yes, some people in there, were framed or arrested for no reason, or on accident, but that's a small minority.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:58:47 AM PST
Soulshine says:
"Inmate Jamel Williams, who last year was sentenced to 18 years' prison for the robbery and murder of a DVD seller in Midtown, claims in a suit that his arm was burned by water a guard handed him in the dining hall."

These guards need to be reprimanded for burning inmates with water. It may not be cruel, but it is certainly unusual.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:59:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 10:00:14 AM PST
the lawyers always win

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 10:00:17 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
"I just murdered some guy"
"I am going to sue everyone for spilling water from a water bottle on my arm"

Makes a lot of sense, huh Orz.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions