Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

U.S. Senator Proposes Banning "Grand Theft Auto V" in The Wake of Sandy Hook Tragedy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 2:47:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 2:51:17 PM PST
http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/12/us-senator-proposes-banning-grand-theft-auto-v-in-the-wake-of-sandy-hook-tragedy

---------------------------

Don't think there's any heavier of a sigh we can muster for this one, but we will try.

After a heart-wrenching tragedy of the magnitude as the Sandy Hook shooting, it's human nature to let mob mentality take over and point fingers wherever our hands will let us. The scale and horror of the incident is the sort of thing that makes you question the entire species as a whole, and maybe decide if we should just call this whole 'humanity' thing off.

But, when the shock, soul-crushing sadness, and blind rage wear off, we should rely on reason and logic to ask the more important questions. Why did this happen, and how can we make sure this never happens again?

Well if you're a sitting US Senator you skip the logic and reason part and point that finger wherever it'll fit. That's right, US Senator Joe Manchin would like to place the blame for what happened firmly on video games and Rockstar's flagship franchise specifically.

In a recent interview, Manchin says "Look at Grand Theft Auto, put out by Rockstar Games in New York City and see what it promotes. Shouldn't that be looked into and maybe be banned?"

The media and the politicians have done a particularly (edited for Amazon posting) job when it comes to talking about video games, and using them as a scapegoat for violent tragedies. But when a sitting US Sentaor starts talking about banning games, what's next? We've read some pretty violent comic books in our time, why don't we ban those too?

Knee-jerk reactions are never the ones that should be converted into legislation. Oh, did we mention that Senator Manchin went on to praise the NRA (National Rifle Association) for their measured response to the recent tragedy. Manchin went on to give a shout out to the gun control lobbyists as his "friends".

Way to be an opportunistic shill Senator, wonder who the biggest donors to your recent campaign might have been? Let us know what you think over on Twitter.

--------------------------

Ugh....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:50:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:09:52 PM PST
You might want to replace the S word before the post is deleted. And I don't mean Senator.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 2:51:39 PM PST
Yikes, thanks for that. Just made the correction.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:58:43 PM PST
Yes, typical politician. Do not place blame on the person who actually did the deed but rather a four year old video game that in no way promotes what he seems to think it does. This is campaigning, pure and simple. Act like you care by attacking something else.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:00:49 PM PST
Mrs. User says:
This makes me sad. Television and movies contribute far more to violence in popular culture, imo. But of course, games are to blame.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:07:42 PM PST
For all the BS the GTA series gets, it's amazing that, underneath the controversy, the series has some of the funniest and spot on satire I've ever heard in a game. It's crude, but it's funny and always hits the right spots. I can't wait to see if they tear anew the idiotic vapidity of California's more shallow side.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:17:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 3:27:11 PM PST
West Virgina. His brother is also his father. Cut him some slack.

Oh and on topic ... I really wouldn't pay this any mind. It's just more obvious deflection and lately obvious has been, well, really obvious. And people are starting to wake up to the fact that something is very wrong with this country.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:30:42 PM PST
K Archer says:
Politicians

*sigh*

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:37:12 PM PST
When we have a rash of people running over prostitutes in order to get their money back, then banning GTA might be a reasonable suggestion (or we could just, you know, legalize prostitution).

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:42:02 PM PST
FOGE says:
So... Did the shooter get in his Delorean, fire up the flux capacitor and play this game in the future, find inspiration, and shoot up a school as a result?

I don't get blaming a game that isn't even a finished product yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:53:04 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
Grand Theft Auto makes me want to be a pimp, not shoot up schools.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:56:21 PM PST
2 words:

First Amendment

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:57:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 4:00:42 PM PST
momof3 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:58:39 PM PST
People need to stop quoting amendments as if they were divine writ. If we don't want people saying SECOND AMENDMENT all the damn time we shouldn't be saying first amendment either. How about just:

Common Sense

I think our forefathers would want that more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 3:59:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 4:00:18 PM PST
I will toss and turn all night because you didn't read the rest of my comment because you couldn't take a joke. And yes, I have been to WV.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 4:24:04 PM PST
momof3 says:
I said that I DID read the rest of your comment. I can take a joke, just come up with a better one. That one is old and worn out, lol...
I wouldn't loose sleep over ANY of the comments. I did, however, loose sleep over this tragedy. I have watched the news over and over and I haven't heard anyone say that this young adult was actually a active "gamer". I think most men in general, especially politicians, just want to hurry & get the problem solved. This is a complex issue, that involves MUCH MORE than a video game. Personally, if I had an autistic child who ALSO doesn't feel physical or emotional pain, I wouldn't be going out and purchasing a houseful of guns, half being high powered auto-mastics, and then take my kid to the firing range to teach him how to become a "good shot". Though, I know hind sight is 20/20, & this mother would've NEVER wish this on ANYONE. I just think it was a poor judgement call. We should have our teachers educated on how to properly handle and fire a weapon, so the can take out these crazy gunman, instead of leaving them helpless to shield their children with their own bodies. What heroes these women were!! I'm sure I won't get many people to agree with me on that one..;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 4:27:20 PM PST
momof3 says:
Now, I LOVE this comment! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:20:18 PM PST
FOGE says:
Thomas Payne certainly would have wanted that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:20:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 6:48:33 PM PST
Yes. The state has no right to tell people they cannot sell their bodies.

For the record, the NRA thing about games was silly, but the thing about a cop in every school? A third of the country already does this. Hardly the most offensive thing I've ever heard. Less offensive than, say, the cop in my high school always flirting with the girls there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:29:28 PM PST
Wait, Payne? Or Paine?

Sorry, I'm not insulting your intelligence at all. I'm a huge fan of Paine, he's probably my all time favorite political theorist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 5:35:42 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 22, 2012 5:41:09 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 5:48:33 PM PST
This man needs to focus on doing his job instead of trying to capitalize on a tragedy.

This is a time of mourning, not a time of pointing fingers. The sole person responsible for this is dead and that should be the end of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:27:34 PM PST
I see what you did and I like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:30:41 PM PST
It's offensive that a reasonable person would look at the situation and say "we need armed guards" as the solution. But then again I don't think the NRA is run by reasonable people. They are just walking commercials for gun makers. There's nothing noble about their cause.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 6:38:12 PM PST
Normally I would agree but not on this one. For once I am glad CNN is doing coverage of this 30 hours a day. It's the only way things will change. If having those poor kids faces plastered all over the TV means this never happens again maybe those parents can find a way to keep going.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions