Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

10 years of Xbox Live

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 7:32:07 AM PST
Kasmatsu says:
Tomorrow, Nov 15th is the 10 year anniversary of Xbox live.

I can still remember playing Unreal Championship and some RC Car racing game in the beta.

Major Nelson has tweeted that they are sending out special 10 years of Live limited edition 360 systems to people that have subscribed the longest. Having the beta plus 10 uninterrupted years, I have my fingers crossed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:33:42 AM PST
About time Microsoft did something with all that money Live is raking in...

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:33:49 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I've had mine since Halo 2.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:34:50 AM PST
Gees, I still have my memory card from the XBL beta.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:35:12 AM PST
JWK says:
...and to every other XBox Live member that has subscribed 9 years or under, Microsoft plans on celebrating this momentous time by raising the price for Gold by $29.99 a year.

Just to say thanks to our customers!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:36:55 AM PST
I.Flores says:
Considering with what you paid during those 10 years, you could've purchased a couple of consoles, that certinly isn't too much to give.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:38:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:38:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So that's what they're doing with their RROD 360's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:39:06 AM PST
Mel says:
still has his identity

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:39:32 AM PST
Like hell I've been paying this whole time. I only used free time cards on the original Xbox and I've been riding on a three year purchase I made last year when I found Live Cards on sale for like $20.

After my account expires this time I have no intention of renewing it and if it wasn't for the deal I found my account would already be dead.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:41:00 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
10 years of people overpaying in order to use the entirety of the games they'd already paid $50-60 for...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:41:39 AM PST
I.Flores says:
>>they are sending out special 10 years of Live limited edition 360 systems to people that have subscribed the longest<<

The LE console has the word "SUCKER" engraved in 5 inch bling gold lettering.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:42:27 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Live's popularity is a mystery to me, but I'm glad that it's not caught on in the gaming industry as a whole.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:42:44 AM PST
Bobbum Man says:
Simon isn't trying to incite a console war here, but he's fairly certain that a perk of paying for LIVE is not having your personal information compromised by digital terrorists.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:43:36 AM PST
I don't pay for Steam and my information has never been stolen from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:44:06 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Google "XBL Fifa hack" then sit there and be quiet forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:44:45 AM PST
Oh snip snap! Far better comeback than I had... I should probably wake up some more or something before I start posting out of boredom.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:46:26 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
http://xbox.about.com/od/news/a/Xbox-Live-Fifa-12-Hack-Explained.htm

"So what is happening? As near as we can tell, it is a combination of social engineering (the bad guys know some of your information and then try to call Microsoft to get the rest), along with poor password management on the part of the people that are getting their accounts borrowed."

Social engineering =/= XBL being hacked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:48:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:52:20 AM PST
Bobbum Man says:
Edit* I do not admit defeat.

Still doesn't explain why people criticize paying for LIVE when I'm sure they've paid for PS+ at some point.

But then we all wonder why people complain about how others spend their money in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:49:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:49:19 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
The only problem is that wasn't a hack at all, it was social engineering that preyed on stupid people who don't secure their information properly.

Edit: Ninja'd

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:50:01 AM PST
Except Microsoft has known about the issue for well over a year and hasn't changed their security practices in the slightest to make it harder for people to obtain account information when contacting Microsoft.

This is just me but if I had a business where people were having a security hole like this exploited, even if it wasn't fully our fault, I'd be doing what I could to protect my paying costumers by tightening security so when you call in you need more than a few basic pieces of information to get access to an account and I'd also up the security protocols for my service so passwords are harder to guess and users have an added layer of security.

Google has stuff like that for free and they don't charge me a cent for any of their services. Microsoft charges to use the crappy Internet Explorer App and Netflix, something EVERY OTHER CONSOLE DOES FOR FREE.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:56:26 AM PST
I'm not complaining how others spend their money but rather the focus of Xbox Live now compared to where it was a few years ago. Microsoft is constantly trying to justify the price hikes and the overall price in general by adding in services that gamers aren't asking for and do nothing for games in general. Why do I have to pay for Live when my TV, my phone, my Wii, my 3DS, my Vita, my PS3, my laptop, and probably some other device in my house I'm forgetting does this for free and never even dreamed of charging me for this service.

I see Sony expanding PS+ to offer better discounts, more games for subscribers, and overall you know this service is geared for gamers. I drop $60 for a year (I don't use PS+ by the way) and I get several full PS3 games, access to a wide variety of discounts, and a bunch of PSN titles to boot. I spend $60 a year for Live and I get access to demos a week early, an occassional deal for Gold Members, multiplayer access, IE9 access, Netflix access, and a few other things like that which have nothing to do with gaming in the slightest.

Microsoft hikes the prices yet removes services like 1 vs. 100, Twitter, and Facebook (replacing the former two with a much worse version in IE9). They haven't updated their Live practices in forever despite numerous developers calling for changes. Some of these changes have even kept games off XBLA despite a developer wanting (and fans too) to release on that format. Just go look at Torchlight 2 if you don't believe me. They charge developers to update their titles despite taking in ridiculous amounts of cash, I've got ads on my dashboard despite paying for a service, and then I look at Steam.

Ah Steam, you wonderful service you. I get achievements, daily deals, mid week deals, weekend deals, free to play games, online gaming, access to mods, friends list, communities, and so much more... All for free.

So why is Live charging and where this money? I'm really curious about this because I see a crap ton of income for Microsoft and every little output.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:59:20 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Except poor customer service is at fault, and that's not an issue just at Microsoft, but everywhere. Including Amazon. Let's not forget about this guy.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/08/apple-amazon-mat-honan-hacking/

"In many ways, this was all my fault. My accounts were daisy-chained together. Getting into Amazon let my hackers get into my Apple ID account, which helped them get into Gmail, which gave them access to Twitter. Had I used two-factor authentication for my Google account, it's possible that none of this would have happened, because their ultimate goal was always to take over my Twitter account and wreak havoc. Lulz."

"But what happened to me exposes vital security flaws in several customer service systems, most notably Apple's and Amazon's. Apple tech support gave the hackers access to my iCloud account. Amazon tech support gave them the ability to see a piece of information - a partial credit card number - that Apple used to release information. In short, the very four digits that Amazon considers unimportant enough to display in the clear on the web are precisely the same ones that Apple considers secure enough to perform identity verification. The disconnect exposes flaws in data management policies endemic to the entire technology industry, and points to a looming nightmare as we enter the era of cloud computing and connected devices."

The fault doesn't usually seem to lie with any one company, it often gets shared equally with several companies. The security hole doesn't even necessarily have to be with Microsoft, another company could have given up the information needed to bypass any questions they had before making changes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:59:49 AM PST
"So why is Live charging and where this money? I'm really curious about this because I see a crap ton of income for Microsoft and every little output."

Because people pay it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:01:07 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
hopefully they hook me up! i have had it since halo 2, roughly 9 years total. the problem is, once 360 came out, i created a new account.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:02:34 AM PST
Kasmatsu says:
The Live money goes to Activision to pay for getting CoD DLC early.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions