Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Intel's newest chip design could kill custom built PCs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 9:24:21 AM PST
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/40533/rumor-is-intels-new-processor-really-killing-pc-gaming

Rumor: Is Intel's New Processor Really 'Killing PC Gaming'?

Written by: Dan Seitz | November 28, 2012 at 8:03AM

According to rumor, Intel may be severely limiting your ability to customize your gaming rig in the near future.

At the heart of the matter is Intel's processor scheduled for 2014, code-named Broadwell. Generally, the processor is just one part of a computer, and is plugged into the motherboard with a socket. Think of the CPU as the "brain" of a computer and the motherboard as the "nerves". In most desktop PCs, you can switch out both relatively easily.

Broadwell, however, will come already soldered into a motherboard, essentially cutting off a route of customization and potentially making it difficult to upgrade components such as graphics cards.

If you're wondering why Intel would even consider doing this in the first place, the short answer is space. Ultrabooks and tablets are becoming far more important to computer manufacturers than desktops, and the thinner and lighter these are, the better from a sales perspective.

It is important to note that Haswell, Intel's upcoming chip, will use a socket, and that Intel has yet to confirm Broadwell will come in this configuration.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:26:01 AM PST
Iso says:
Yeah, read this.

It won't happen, because why would they give up the market to AMD.

"It is important to note that Haswell, Intel's upcoming chip, will use a socket"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:27:42 AM PST
I could see it in tablets and laptops, but if they did do this in PCs you're right, they'd give up the market to AMD when they got rid of sockets and easy upgrades. It would lock users into spending more up front on their gear.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:27:55 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
If Intel is doing this, then they are most likely doing it for a specific company, like how Compaq used to have CPU's soldered onto the mobo's so you would have to buy a new computer.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:31:35 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Sounds mobile.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:38:02 AM PST
Real217 says:
They wont do it. AMD will take over asap. And its not like AMD sucks. Intel is just bigger than they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:39:47 AM PST
Iso says:
AMD has the budget side down pat, Intel has the big guns in the i series though.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:47:51 AM PST
If anything this is probably a specific CPU set for laptops, tablets, and ultrabooks. It doesn't make sense that Intel would suddenly hinder the market like this and basically give AMD an easy way to blow them out of the water.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:49:39 AM PST
So they're considering doing this for one product, no one knows if they are, and it's specifically for devices in which space is limited.

People are upset?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:51:30 AM PST
I guess, hehe.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:13:13 AM PST
Ugh. PC gamers, man.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:33:51 AM PST
Mel says:
solder! solder man!
I knew PC gaming was too good to be true!
I'm done with it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:42:38 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Our community gives us a bad name.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:44:08 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Haha, sounds stupid and not believable.

As others said, they would give the entire market to AMD.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:54:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 10:55:54 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I bet this is to compete where its not competing- against Tegra/ ARM...since it will have graphics built in just like Sandy Bridge, Ivy..

There will always be a niche performance segment. Make no mistake about it, it has always been niche.

This will only make it harder for some PC's to have decent upgrade path towards a decent gaming PC if its becomes a standard issue at the mid-lower end consumer product. You can expect to see some small form factor/mini atx offerings from this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:02:50 AM PST
I don't see this as a "PC gamers" thing, but as a "media" thing. They report things like this in an alarmist manner simply to get site traffic. Most news sites do it. Yahoo does it a LOT, with all kinds of topics.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:30:02 PM PST
So say we all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:34:29 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
So say we all!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 12:51:13 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
It is known.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:19:55 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
Yes khaleesi.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:30:39 PM PST
The things I do for love... *Pushes a Wii U out the window and cuddles with the 360*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:39:28 PM PST
Real217 says:
lmao
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions