Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Razer Prepares to Unleash the World's First PC Gaming Tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 10:22:47 AM PST
http://kotaku.com/5974036/razer-prepares-to-unleash-the-worlds-first-pc-gaming-tablet

Razer Prepares to Unleash the World's First PC Gaming Tablet
Mike Fahey

At last year's Consumer Electronics Show, gaming peripheral maker Razer debuted Project Fiona, a PC gaming tablet concept with a pair of control sticks affixed to the side. It looked ridiculous, but there was promise there. That promise is realized this year in the Razer Edge, a full-featured, crowd-sourced gaming PC with the form factor of a tablet, shipping soon and starting at under $1,000. You won't believe what they've packed inside this thing.

Razer promised a Fiona-like product out by the end of last year, but that was before the company opened up the design of the device to the people most important to the product - PC gamers. Thanks to the interaction of players via Razer's Facebook page and community website, Project Fiona transformed from an interesting idea to a drool-worthy piece of technology.

For starters, they got rid of those stupid handles. Well, not entirely.

The handles, with their oddly-placed buttons and analog sticks, have been replaced with an optional dock, giving sensible people the ability to skip the silliness altogether, while those keen to sit in Starbucks pretending they are driving a black rectangle can spend $249.99 for the privilege. Everybody wins.

Along with saving a little dignity, the sourced crowd was also instrumental in determining the final specifications and pricing of the Razer Edge. They told Razer the power they wanted and the price they wanted to pay. What they're getting is a Windows 8 tablet PC capable of running Dishonored on default settings at 59 frames-per-second, with models starting at $999.

Before we get to the innards, let's look at the outtards.

The Razer Edge features a 10.1 inch screen housed inside a tablet that's two pounds heavy and .8 inches deep. Weight-wise it's right in line with the Microsoft Surface Pro, with a bit more depth. It's not an ultra-thin tablet, but it's not incredibly beefy either.

The tablet will be supplemented by a number of docking stations. There's the silly stick dock, which we've seen. There's also a keyboard dock ($199), perfect for players of chat-heavy MMOs...

...and a docking station ($99) that adds USB ports and an HDMI-out, transforming the unit into a PC gaming console for your television.

Full size

The tablet by itself can run touchscreen-friendly games like Civilization 5, and if there isn't a way to connect a Bluetooth controller to it I'll be incredibly sad.

So the Razer Edge features plenty of ways to play; what sort of power are we playing with?

The standard Razer Edge (the $999) unit comes packed with an Intel Core i5 processor, Nvidia GT640M LE graphics, 4 GB of DDR3 memory and a 64GB SSD drive. If you winced as much as I did at that small amount of storage, then you'll probably be more interested in the Razer Edge Pro, with 8GB of memory, an Intel Core i7 CPU and either a 128 or 256GB SSD, starting at $1,299.

Compared to a traditional gaming PC the Razer Edge packs fair amount of power. Compared to any other tablet on the market, it's insane.

Razer has been trying to make PC gaming more portable for years now, and they've created some pretty far-fetched concepts and products in the process. Products like the Razer Blade, the $2,500 gaming laptop that sacrifices power for portability, which surprised its many naysayers by selling out at every turn.

Compared to the Blade idea, the Razer Edge is downright sensible. It's a gaming PC. It's a tablet. It's a Steam box. It's the future, and it's going on sale soon.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:25:45 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Razer, keep dreaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:27:01 AM PST
How so? They're right, the Blade has been selling a lot. A $1000 tablet that can run modern games and accepts controllers/keyboards? It's a great idea.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:28:00 AM PST
Must be something in the water this week.

Also, I know the reasoning behind calling it that, but it sounds funny. A PC gaming tablet...is still a tablet.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:28:13 AM PST
I was really excited for this last year. Now... not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:28:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 10:29:57 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
idk. It comes with a 640m gpu, which pretty much sucks. You spend $1000 on it, in 2 years can't play any games. Can you upgrade the gpu or do you have to buy another tablet?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:30:15 AM PST
"Must be something in the water this week."

Well, it is CES week.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:31:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 10:34:30 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
This is probably the best 'product' i've seen yet out of CES for gaming.

"Intel Core i5 processor, Nvidia GT640M LE graphics, 4 GB of DDR3 memory and a 64GB SSD drive."

Damn nice specs driving a gaming tablet, with a no dead end OS....so the tablet is functional for others in the home, social, web, etc...

Don't quite like the accessory model though. Spendy.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:33:17 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
$1000 bucks? Pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:34:08 AM PST
Assuming it has USB support or at least a Micro SD slot you wouldn't even need to stream your games from the Steam library. You could probably just run Steam on that thing. However, you'd need to be plugged in to a power socket a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:34:26 AM PST
True. It seems like a lot of these "new way to play PC games" are popping up though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:36:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 10:37:50 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
That's the benefit here, aside its much larger screen of course and portability.

No handcuffs, just download the Steam games you want to play on it and take it to go...like you would a gaming laptop/// And it should have enough productivity uses outside of gaming that it becomes your 'one device'. Its about as dead end as a laptop, outside the storage dept.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:36:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 11:29:55 AM PST
Actually, it's not bad for a tablet at all. The next step up is a 650M. The 640 is a Kepler chip and runs DX11.1 quite well. Games are playable in mid-high settings fine. 45 fps on medium Far Cry 3, 28 on high.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M.71579.0.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:38:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 10:41:10 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Specially on a 10" screen, it doesn't need the grunt that a product like a 'Steambox' for instance needs to drive an HDTV.

This thing is a one package gaming machine, i'd say its worth the asking price. Its detriment would be no Android/IoS market...but screw that when you have Indie games on Steam that play on the controller physically.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:38:44 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
According to CNET, it's available for sale today. I skimmed the article above and didn't see anyone mention that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:40:10 AM PST
Exactly. The benchmarks were on standard laptop screens, so I would assume they would do even better at lower resolutions.

This thing is powerful for its size.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:42:08 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
This is an instance where hardware doesn't necessarily matter. Snappy i5 alone is a godsend for a tablet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:42:36 AM PST
Well, mobile gaming has sort of reached a point where it has outgrown touchscreen controls. As I've pointed out before, the $7 Modern Combat 4 has outclassed the $50 Black Ops: Declassified. This is a great time for mobile gaming to expand. That leaves the issue of third party support. If the Vita and even the 3DS are struggling with third party support then how is a new platform going to compete?

On the other hand, if you can find a way to let gamers play their already existing libraries on the go while at the same time allowing for new games from various online marketplaces, well now, that can be competitive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:44:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 10:46:30 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
3rd party support is an issue of a production, marketing and retail dollars equation. You don't have those pronounced issues releasing digital versions to as many avenues as you can reach. This is great for developers and indies in general.

Whoever doesnt need the headches of MS certification over the Win 8 Marketplace, their games are reachable on Steam over the same hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:45:35 AM PST
Agreed. You don't have to convince publishers to invest in a completely separate product line with cases, distribution, etc.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:57:35 AM PST
Ice King says:
I know it's technically true, but I really wish people would stop saying "under $1,000" when something is $999.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:01:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 11:02:04 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Oh very nice, excuse my ignorance.

If a 650M can run FC3 with 28FPS on high...I wonder if I should bump up my settings in FC3 with my 6870...I have everything on high and it's running at 60+FPS (I think).

This is a cool little gadget, does it have full USB support? Or do I have to hook up wireless BS?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:03:34 AM PST
jSten says:
In the article, it mentions an addon for USB and HDMI for an additional $99.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:11:43 AM PST
Can't hurt to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 11:16:41 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
100 bucks? 100 bucks for keyboard? 100 bucks for etc?

These people like to charge lol.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions