Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Adam Lanza

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 189 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 6:10:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 6:14:48 AM PST
"Adam was diagnosed at a young age with sensory integration disorder, a medically controversial diagnosis that meant Adam had trouble coping with bright lights, loud noises, and knowing when he was in pain. Later, when he was in middle school, Adam was also diagnosed with Asperger's, a condition related to autism that can make social interaction challenging."

"A friend of Nancy's remembered that when Adam was just six years old, he did not like to be touched. If children his age touched them, he recoiled or became upset. "He was angry with them," Marvin LaFontaine, Nancy's friend, told Frontline. Richard Novia, who co-founded the tech club Adam joined while he attended Newtown High School, told Frontline Adam would have "episodes" as a teen where he would completely withdraw from the world, sometimes sitting in a corner, motionless."

Clearly the ideal person to train how to shoot and give access to guns. Clearly. Great mothering on this one. Maybe it wasn't the fault of the gun, maybe it wasn't the fault of videogames? Maybe it was bad parenting by taking a clearly unstable child and mixing in guns.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/photos-details-emerge-newtown-mass-shooter-adam-lanza-124951161.html

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 6:14:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 6:14:51 AM PST
This fool shouldn't get any publicity. Bury him and forget about him.

Better to remember the victims, not the assailant.

-Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
- Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
- Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female.
- Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
- Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
- Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
- Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
- Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
- Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
- Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
- Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
- Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
- James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
- Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
- Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
- Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
- Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
- Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
- Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
- Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
- Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
- Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female (full date of birth not specified)
- Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
- Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
- Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
- Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 6:15:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 6:16:14 AM PST
Fair point, though it would be nice to find a way to prevent more victims or at least reduce the likelyhood. Seems to me keeping those with mental health issues away from guns would be a good idea? Unbelievable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 6:16:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 6:17:50 AM PST
I agree. Mental health does not get the attention it deserves in this country and I think that's the biggest issue.

Someone stated it's easier to get care for your mentally handicapped kid after he/she commits a crime than to get care for them prior to said crime.

It shouldn't be that way.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 6:25:46 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
He shouldn't get publicity but the mental health issues he was diagnosed with should.
I'm also giving the families of the Sandyhook victims the same right to privacy and time to heal that I give to families whose children die in every city in America but aren't given a medal or broadcast on CNN.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 6:50:19 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Bu bu bu but, everyone should get a gun! That will solve everything!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 6:54:13 AM PST
SMH says:
Nothing about this story is surprising. This is the blueprint.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 6:56:02 AM PST
Voice of god says:
The problem is that it's tough to categorize Asperger's as the type of "mental health issue" people here are implying it is. It's not really linked to violence, and many would argue it's not even a mentally unhealthy condition. Nor are mass shootings linked all that strongly to mental health issues that would land people on watch lists.

Honestly, the only common denominator in mass shootings is guns. Some could argue for their home life or their childhood, I guess -- it's the kind of thing we don't really know. But I think at some point we need to stop catering to people grasping desperately at causes that allow them to think unfettered access to all manner of killing machines is a good idea. In the gun rights debate, mental health just another red herring, same as video games.

Is our country's attitude toward mental health a problem? Absolutely. Is it THE problem? No.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:03:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 7:07:19 AM PST
"Honestly, the only common denominator in mass shootings is guns"

....Only?

So you think that a well minded individual who owns a gun is as likely to commit a mass shooting as a mentally unstable person? If not, then there must be another - more pertinent denominator.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:07:01 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:35:37 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:11:45 AM PST
Yup last night they had a big story on him with NBC and how he had his own gaming room with blacked out windows. He also had a plethora of violent games.

Detective #1 : I think we found are answer. He's been playing way too much GTA.

Detective #2 : I guess the motive was video games?

Detective #3 : But I love GTA.......OMG!!!!

Police Department PR: After several months of investigations we have come to the conclusion that video games are bad for you.

Mogwai: Throws bag of smelly feces at PR and screams It's not the games it's the mental health of the individual you idiots!

PR: Shoots Mogwai and says that he was violent because of video games!

This will never end.....what a joke!

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:12:46 AM PST
Wait ... why did I get shot?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:15:27 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
He didn't say which Mogwai. There's a 50% chance you were not shot for throwing feces.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:16:58 AM PST
Alright. I suppose that's ok then.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:24:10 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I agree, and I think this article stopped a little short. It doesn't point to Asperger's as the culprit but lists a few others as if they (cumulatively) should have been warning signs.

Sensory integration disorder - okay I don't know how often that is diagnosed. Surely those afflicted are not predisposed to murder.
Asperger's is pretty widely diagnosed and is in no way an indicator of future violence.
A 6 year old who doesn't like to be touched - seriously? Is this some phenomenon or perfectly normal? Sometimes my 7 year old nephew "recoils" when I give him a hug and I want to know if I should be worried.
"Episodes" as a teen where he would completely withdraw from the world, sometimes sitting in a corner, motionless." - If I think about it hard enough, I probably did that in high school. Puberty is a hell of a phase. This is being sensationalized.

Am I saying he wasn't mentally ill? OF COURSE NOT. He was, and there's nothing wrong with trying to figure out crazy. But mixing the mental health issue with gun control gets us nowhere on either front.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:25:35 AM PST
"Is our country's attitude toward mental health a problem? Absolutely. Is it THE problem? No."

It is THE problem. To think otherwise is foolish. Continue with your "Spoons make people fat" tirade.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:26:15 AM PST
"Asperger's is pretty widely diagnosed and is in no way an indicator of future violence."

Too true. "Autism" is such a broad spectrum that the term, in medical terms, has been rendered meaningless. It's like saying someone is suffering from the Heebie Jeebies. It's nonsensical.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:27:38 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I'm starting to think either I misinterpreted Voice of god's comment, or everyone else did.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:30:38 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:31:27 AM PST
Your view on spoons is discriminatory and hurtful.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:33:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 7:34:40 AM PST
My issue is the logic behind everything. As a parent I wouldn't think "hey my kid is isolated, hates to be touched, has sensory issues, has aspergers and has episodes. I know let me buy him tons of violent games, teach him how to shot and keep hundreds of rounds around the house. This will be good for him."

Maybe I am too harsh. I don't know. Just seems wreckless to me. I feel like my reaction would be more like "hey my kid needs supervision and I should limit his exposure to media. I also should seek therapy at the very least, maybe even a home. I own a 500k house, I can afford to seek help."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:34:10 AM PST
It is wreckless. The mother was to blame as much as the son.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:34:56 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I didn't get that impression. He acknowledges the mental health stigma issue and at the same time identifies it for what it CAN turn into. We can mix both, say "don't let people with mental issues get guns", and call it a day. It's the easiest solution and probably what will happen (in some form). But that doesn't work to solve either problem, it's just damage control.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:35:00 AM PST
Those damn spoons are making everyone fat. They should be discriminated against!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:35:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 7:42:08 AM PST
Voice of god says:
If you think there's a more pertinent common denominator for mass shootings than guns, please feel free to share it. I've yet to see one that beats or even approaches a 100% correlation. Previously diagnosed (or undiagnosed) mental health issues certainly doesn't, and scapegoating mental illness is just another lazy argumentative fallacy that doesn't solve the problem.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  189
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions