Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OTish: Buying an iPad, help me out please!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:15:06 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Grats. Its a nice device. It has been used non-stop since we got it.

I'm shopping an Android one for myself now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:08:22 AM PST
Finger says:
Hey very cool! I'm sure you'll both get lots of use out of it. Congrats!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:14:34 PM PST
Got the 16GB iPad w/ Retina display, WiFi, Black.

My wife loves it.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:49:45 PM PST
jnjmcc says:
Why not pay the extra and get the newest oe?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:35:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:36:30 PM PST
I prefer an iTampon...

Oops, sorry, for a second I thought I was still in 2010 and people hadn't realized that a touch pad with a smartphone like interface was pretty freaking awesome.

Sent from my iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:22:44 PM PST
Thanks. Video definitely won't be something we use. Nor will the data plan. The reason I asked about the memory was in case iPad apps take a lot more space than iPod versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:14:32 PM PST
Finger says:
I know this is a little late, but as someone who owns an iPad 2, iPad mini, and an iPad 4 (current one, I think) here's my two cents:

I'd get the newest model if you can swing the extra cost. I'm perfectly happy with the iPad 2, and have never run into anything it won't run, and the display is still very, very good (even though it isn't the new "Retina" display. The real issue with it is that its now 2 generations back, and Apple is notorious for its annual changes.

As far as installed memory goes: Those 16 gb in the standard model will go a long way for apps, music and casual games. Most apps and simple games really don't take up much room. I have dozens of them installed across various devices and I don't think I've broken 6GB. More sophisticated games will obviously take more space, but meep in mind that you can add/remove them so easily it probably won't matter. Same goes for music.

The exception to this is video; If you plan on taking a lot of videos, or downloading a bunch of movies from iTunes, then you'll eat up your GB fast. I put 4 movies on my kids iPad and they took up nearly 12gb alone. As with other files you can remove and/or reinstall them easily enough, but if you or your wife like to keep lots of videos on there at one time (or 2 tons of music) you may want to break off a little extra for more memory if you can.

None of my iPads have a data plan, sorry I can't help you there. Between our wifi at home, work, at nearly every coffee shop... I've never felt left out. Its not a bad thing if you don't mind the extra initial cost + monthly data fees, but unless you really need to use it for productivity on the go, you'll probay be just fine with the wifi-only model. Hope it helps, good luck!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:35:59 PM PST
Kindles > ipads

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 5:28:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 5:46:01 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
They JUST released the iPad Mini with the same spec as the iPad 2. So the iPad Mini's days are already numbered?

The same chip also powers the Touch 5th gen and iPhone 4S. Me thinks an iPad 2 will play just about anything they put out for the platform for several years to come. It runs Infinity Blade 2 just fine.

Not saying not to go for the newest sku, but i don't think game compatability should be a concern with the iPad 2 anytime soon. The higher spec of the other machines is wasted driving higher resolution, no necessarily making a better game.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:03:29 PM PST
Go for iPad4. It's faster.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 3:37:38 PM PST
Hate to say it but getting an older version of any Apple product is usually not a good idea because the newer models come out so quickly. I have the first iPad and there are so many games and apps I can't run. Soon the iPad 2 might be in the same position. Eventually your iPad will get old and unsupported even if you buy the new one, but at least it will take a bit longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:59:17 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
None that i'm aware of.

If you are having trouble running anything, on any iPad, it is likely you need a new OS update.

For instance the Facebook app wouldn't run on my iPad 2 until i upgraded to the latest flavor of the OS..iOS6.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:51:37 PM PST
Well, are there any games the iPad 2 can't run?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:16:27 AM PST
I am guessing greater compability with the new OS update. I am thinking if they put in another apple chip, it would not suprise me if the next wave of mac products will have that same chip in it so that if you buy something on the IOS store it will work on the OS store. Doing something like that would get people to not only buy newer apple computers, but also tablets and smart phones as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:15:16 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Luckily Steve set them up on auto-pilot for a year or two, but they are eventually going to have to do something else. Although I was impressed with the new iMac's they are powerhouses, well, for Mac's at least. I wasn't expecting that much of a power increase from current models.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:12:56 AM PST
Totido says:
I know what you mean. I've been wondering if Apple has reached the top of the curve and on the downward side now. Their stock seems to be reflecting that lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:09:43 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think the developers complaints are what pushed out the 4 so soon. I would be surprised if we see two iPad versions release in 2013. I'm hoping that we don't even see 1, but that won't happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:08:36 AM PST
Totido says:
One thing that is slower after the latest update is the App Store itself. Not sure how it is on a 2, but it takes forever to show what apps have updates. Most apps themselves seem to be fine. It did piss me off that the 4 came out so soon though, just like it's going to tick a lot of mini users off when the updated mini comes out this spring. I opted for the Nexus 7 over the mini though and I love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:52:38 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
A lot of developers were complaining to Apple that they couldn't take advantage of the new resolution because of the slow processor.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:51:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 11:00:14 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
What can they possibly add to the iPad 5? More gimmicks like Siri? More MP to a camera with jack for flash?

Its a screen resolutions race on a 10" screen, when the concensus years ago was that there was no advantage of 1080p over 720p on anything smaller than a 32" screen.

Development is going to be like PC, they will make sure everything runs fine on the lowest common denominator since they hold a greater chunk of the market...thus wielding greater app buying power.

That is unless developers will be looking to carve out a high end/elitist, niche market within the iOS games market. I would believe that if they were aggressively pursuing controller enabled games on the device.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:47:40 AM PST
I would say go for the 4 as well. Just because once the Ipad 5 comes out (maybe in the next 3 months) all the upgrades for the Ipad 2 will be dropped. To some people that is not a big deal, however to others it is hightly important.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:45:34 AM PST
Totido says:
Mine is not sluggish at all. A guy at work has the 2 and we noticed no difference in performance. Definately noticed difference in the screen though. Best bet though would be pay the extra and get the 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:44:17 AM PST
Totido says:
I just got the Nexus 7 and it's fantastic. I've hardly touched my iPad since getting it a couple of weeks ago. It's kind of like owning multiple consoles. Great to have both iPad and Android.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:43:08 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The iPad 3's processor is too slow for the screens resolution resulting in poor graphical performance which is why the 4 was released, and the 3 was phased out while the 2 is still around.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:42:08 AM PST
Totido says:
I would go with the iPad 3. The Apple store had them for 379 refurb, but one of the guys at the Apple store told me that you most likely would get a new one because the 4 came out so shortly after the 3. The retina display is definatley noticeable. Text is much sharper, photos and video much better. The 3 and the 4 both are retina and have faster processors, better cameras.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions